It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House announces sanctions against countries waging cyberattacks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

In response to a report published this week about the emerging cyberthreat posed by Chinese hackers, the White House has unveiled a new policy that will impose fines and other punishments on foreign nations engaged in cybercrime.

According to a detailed threat analysis published this week by Northern Virginia’s Mandiant, hackers employed by the Chinese government have waged a sophisticated cyberwar against entities in the United States and elsewhere, compromising over 100 computer networks over a few short years and attacking networks belonging to the public and private sector alike. Now only days after that report was released, US President Barack Obama has signed off on plans that will implement harsh penalties on nation-states caught pilfering American computer systems for trade secrets and other intelligence.

Source

I am sure a lot of you have already heard that the report has been presented identifying the Chinese military as the source for cyber attacks on North American Business and government networks.

The article is claiming that a policy has been put in place to sanction nations proven to conduct cyber warfare against the U.S. However, I have been unable to find corroborating reports to prove this.

In any case, if true, this represents a new era of tenuous international relations, as I am sure many other nations will be "confirmed" as conducting similar operations.

The article and the report presented by Northern Virginia’s Mandiant, has also be quite vauge as to what exactly the effects of such intrusions have been. You can find this report HERE

I think we all saw cyber warefare coming
lets hope it does not translate into reality.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Those waging cyber warfare ... That's pretty much the rest of the world and anonymous.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Sanctions against China? Right. What will America buy?

My guess is some stupid qualifier like the nation has to admit to doing it will make this whole thing pointless.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Cyber attacks of this scale can be seen as an act of war. It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions Obama and company have in mind. How will China react? If they in turn decide to dump their bonds or refuse to buy anymore, then its gonna be a stalemate.

Have to watch and see what China will do.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:04 PM
link   
How do they account for proxies when locating where "attacks" originate...usually people smart enough to successfully hack/attack a target are smart enough to paint someone else as the culprit...or send the trail in a wrong direction...
edit on 20-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Woa Woa Woa.

So how would this play out

We impose sanctions on China, and start buying goods in ally nations.

China's economy tanks, and our ally exporting nations rise.

China dumps treasuries, and the US devalues into a new currency.

China announces the backing of the yuan in Gold while imposing sanctions against the US.

Does this lead to a rapid destabilization of geo-politics? To a world war

Seems like a nutso move by both countries.

reply to post by Sly1one

Please, you don't think US intelligence agencies can trace back through the proxies?

edit on 20-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cenpuppie
Cyber attacks of this scale can be seen as an act of war. It will be interesting to see what kind of sanctions Obama and company have in mind. How will China react? If they in turn decide to dump their bonds or refuse to buy anymore, then its gonna be a stalemate.

Have to watch and see what China will do.

its posturing if anything...America is no longer an independent country and we can't just "sanction" anyone we like, especially giants like China that make all our toys.

The rhetoric is an attempt for the US to save face and hide the fact its not capable of holding china accountable...The US doesn't have much if any lever-edge over china....

sanctions my arse...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
Woa Woa Woa.

So how would this play out

We impose sanctions on China, and start buying goods in ally nations.

China's economy tanks, and our ally exporting nations rise.

China dumps treasuries, and the US devalues into a new currency.

China announces the backing of the yuan in Gold while imposing sanctions against the US.

Does this lead to a rapid destabilization of geo-politics? To a world war

Seems like a nutso move by both countries.

reply to post by Sly1one

Please, you don't think US intelligence agencies can trace back through the proxies?

edit on 20-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

Actually no...I don't but I don't have a lot of faith in US intelligence...I think they make a lot of crap up and people go for it cuz their patriotic or whatever...

I could be wrong though.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

Sounds like you're buying into propaganda.

There may be some goofballs within some of our intelligence agencies, but we've got some high geniuses around as well.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Who is going to hold the CIA and other American alphabet agencies responsible for thier cyber attacks, hacking and theft of intelligence from other nation states. Get used to it and better get a good firewall cause that seems to be the name of the game nowadays!
brice

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Here is something. It is being said that Anonymous hack of HB Gary yielded to some clues.

How did security firm Mandiant put names to two previously unknown Chinese hackers who, it says, steal American corporate secrets for the Chinese government? With a little inadvertent help from Anonymous.

Mandiant's 74-page report covers a particular hacking group referred to as "APT1" and contends that the group works for or under the direction of the Chinese government as part of the military's secretive "Unit 61398."

But despite all the uses of the name "UglyGorilla" buried in code samples, leads to the person's actual identity were hard to come by—until Anonymous hacked security firm HBGary Federal in early 2011.

arstechnica.com...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   
The Chinese aren't like the U.S. They don't have half their population brainwashed into this global love fest, diversity makes the world go round, free trade is the best thing ever stuff. They are 100% nationalist.

We here in the States need to take a whiff of that stuff and start realizing that it's either them or us. At some point, we're just going to have to take the hit of them dumping our bonds.

My personal goal is isolationism. Screw the rest of the world. You don't like my country? Fantastic. We'll take our guns and defense spending, erect 50 foot walls, and let y'all deal with the Chinese instead of us. Good luck with that, by the way.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Why is the White House going to sanction itself?

That kinda seems counter productive to me.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
It is way too convenient that hacking and cyber attacks are allegedly occurring at a rapid pace, allegedly impacting the most recognized companies and being so prominently featured in mainstream news just when they are trying to push through another version of SOPA. If anything is a " inside job" this stinks of one more than anything I've ever seen.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom
reply to post by Sly1one

Sounds like you're buying into propaganda.

There may be some goofballs within some of our intelligence agencies, but we've got some high geniuses around as well.

You're right...I could be buying into propaganda...but then again so could you. I guess well never know either way. My faith in government intelligence went out the door when Iraq was supposed to have WMD's and it took 10 years to find a decrepit Bin Laden...

However I also think government intelligence has some "high geniuses" around as well...I just think their jobs are to make us fall for the above...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by NickDC202

Well basicaly what happened is they realised they could not restrict peoples internet freedom by solely blaming it on teenagers downloading and sharing digital media. So they are now using CYBER WARZZ to scare people into thinking they cannot now read Russia Today or Al-Jezeera because the AZN HACKERZ who are L33T in computer science III will identity theft them, somehow. And it is in every patriots best interest to visit WWW.FREEDOM.US.GOV and download your 24 hours of FREEDOM, every day.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Has been going on for a long time but now the media is using it for news. And I would think the US government won't let the negative hacking image, compliments of Anonymous et al, to go to waste. Just another issue to use to back the MIC.
edit on 2/20/2013 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Sanctions on China? What happens when they call in our debt? Our trade with China has been unbalanced that sanctions would only piss them off. We are plagued with a very weak administration. The limp wrist is incapable of carrying a large stick.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by roadgravel

Has been going on for a long time but now the media is using it for news. And I would think the US government won't waste the negative hacking image, compliments of Anonymous et al, to go to waste. Just another issue to use to back the MIC.

I'm well aware of the history of cyber attacks, I'm pointing to the manner in which these attacks have become much more prominent, impacting the companies whose names everyone knows as a way to make Americans feel insecure about sharing their info with companies online and here's big government to the rescue: make sure you tell your legislators to support the bill so you can feel safe online. The mouth breathers are dumb enough to fall for it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I am proposing the big company hacks are not that new. Of course, they escalate if results are had and nothing is done to reduce them. Very few people were aware of this years back. It was not the average news item.

But along your lines, China will go with more and more if they can.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join