It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D Consumer craze? Public donations pour in, nears million(s) for "worlds 1st 3D pen"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I always thought of donations as supporting a charitable or artful community cause. Like garden parks in the city as a sight for sore eyes and a little better cleaner polluted air. Thus I was surprised to bump into this project on a mostly non-profit site where I've donated to several humanitarian offers.

www.kickstarter.com...

The goal for their fundraiser is 30K but with more than a month left, they already raised almost a million US dollars. All the more power to them, except I wondered how some persons have more than 1,000 at their disposal, to shell out to corporate causes. As well as clean air concerns, as years ago I worked in a cast molding R/D department and the smell of fresh poured ABS *solvents* would be almost toxifying. Pretty much like sniffing a whole room full of glue.

I remember seeing the Play Doh pen for $1 in the variety store, and to me this looks no big difference except it would dispense a fast-curing ABS plastic glue also not too different from a cake pen. Perhaps the biggest consumer appeal is 3D and in a world where 1/3 of the people are on welfare, and the other 2/3 find their only luxury & freedom in ironically purchasing & financing their home, car, appliances, furniture, electronics.. what's an overpriced pen.. would you throw money at developing this for the sake of innovation, or does it just go to show the state of corporate capitalism creating product-hungry consumerists?

support.makerbot.com...

SUPPLEMENTARY LOCAL VENTILATION ii in our case, a couple of computer fans or a window fan, is recommended in areas where its being worked...

edit on 20-2-2013 by tropic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
SWEET!!! I WANT!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Omg, this is awesome! When can I buy one!

join