It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 Computers???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I am on the prowl for 2 laptop computers for myself and my wife. Where would you go to find the best for the cheapest. I dont need tons and tons of extras. Im wanting to spend around 300-400 a piece. Would you buy refurbished? Little help from my ats family would be appreciated!
edit on 2/20/2013 by earthart because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Now days you can go to walmart and get a laptop for that price brand new that are pretty decent for most normal people.

IDK it wont let me post the walmart links right its stupid..

Just go to walmart.com and check things out on there type in laptop and search for under $400 there are a few good ones just look at the ones with good reviews and good stars that have at least 50+ people reviewing them.
edit on 20-2-2013 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Thanks for your help. Would you do refurbished or overstock co.s for a bigger one at the cost of the ones you showed me?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
refurbished are perfectly fine and they are much much cheaper than new.
I have a refurbished desktop it`s about 5-6 years old and never had a problem with it.
my daughter has a refurbished laptop it`s about 4 years old and she`s never had a problem with it.
Both my desktop and her laptop cost less than $400 each.

Be careful what brand you buy some of the brands are junk even the new ones don`t last more than a year or two. I`ve always been satisfied with HP and compaq`s.

edit on 20-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I would really try to get a new over a refurbished if I were you. mostly they don't come with as much of a warranty as a new one. The only reburb laptop I ever bought I kept having issues with it, although they kept fixing the issues I finally got tired of messing around with it and sold it and bought a new laptop.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by earthart

Avoid acer, no matter how good the deal sounds, acer is garbage and will not last very long before you start having horrible issues.

Refurbished are fine as long as you make sure you are getting what you need, dated technology, even 6 years old, might not do exactly what you expect of it.

i guess really it would help to know what you plan to do with the laptops.

I work with HP and Dells as well as Lenovos, so I can point you towards stable equipment if needed. Don't forget to check sites like tigerdirect, newegg, and such, mega deals to be had there.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Best Buy

My wife recently purchased this one.

Windows 8 takes a little getting used to.

Lighting fast start up, runs cool and quiet.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I'd check out Costco if you can. I was at one the other day and noticed how low the prices were on some of the laptops.

Google is also selling a "Chromebook" that is in your price range. They start off at around $199:

Google Chromebook!

Don't buy from Walmart.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Avoid acer, no matter how good the deal sounds, acer is garbage and will not last very long before you start having horrible issues.

Refurbished are fine as long as you make sure you are getting what you need, dated technology, even 6 years old, might not do exactly what you expect of it.

i guess really it would help to know what you plan to do with the laptops.

I work with HP and Dells as well as Lenovos, so I can point you towards stable equipment if needed. Don't forget to check sites like tigerdirect, newegg, and such, mega deals to be had there.

YES! that`s the one, I couldn`t remember the name , Acer`s are complete junk. my daughter bought a new acer laptop and it only lasted about 18 months. my other daughter bought a new acer it only lasted about 2 years.
I get all my computer needs and parts from tigerdirect.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone, i am now well informed. Tigerdirect looks awesome and will probably get it from there. Thanks again!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:48 PM
link   
try not to spread this too much...

outlet.lenovo.com

and yes, you should look for a refurbished unit.

refurbished is not the same thing as "used". if you're unfamiliar with this term (most people are when it comes to electronics), you can look up the definition of "refurbished".

there are laws in place that regulates what can be called "refurbished". all of my laptops (3 from this site) are all refurbished. they came to me looking almost, almost brand new. you cannot see any type of wear and tear other than the bottom foot stands.

if you don't like IBM laptops, then forget about this whole thing.

P.S.

A Lenovo ThinkPad, IdeaPad are all considered true rivals of Apple iMac products. For instance, in the cellular industry, when you mention Apple iPhone 5, automatically you will know the opposing competition is Samsung Galaxy S3.

In the laptop world, when you mention Apple iMac, direct competition that comes to mind is Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad.
edit on 2/20/2013 by truthseeker84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   

We got a toshiba for my son at christmas for 349.99 at best buy. It has lots of bells and whistles including a cam for skyp.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker84

Wait, IBM still makes those laptops with the little red pointer button in the middle of the keyboard?

I thought IBM was off making super computers that play jepordy these days?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Another son of mine has a acer for about three years now and he has not had any issues at all. Average home use. Nothing too techy. He does use it for art work that he creates he is very talented in most any medium. I have a Monet and a VanGogh hanging in my living room. ( both reproduced exactly by Dale ) they are acrylics not oils but the mood is captured nicely. anyway I digress. We also have an Acer at work and its been in use for the six years that I have been here and its used for retail business every day.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Tiger Direct has really good prices and, at least in my experience, excellent customer service. Over the last 10 years or so, I purchased two laptops, two tablets, built 12 PCs from "barebones" kits and bought numerous other parts/ monitors/ drives, memory etc... only 1 part has ever failed (an external hard-drive) and their customer service folks over-nighted me a replacement...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
great deal !!!

I'm needing to replace my HP Laptop.... I think I'll go with this one.

edit on 20-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
reply to post by truthseeker84

Wait, IBM still makes those laptops with the little red pointer button in the middle of the keyboard?

I thought IBM was off making super computers that play jepordy these days?

LoL, that is what I first thought...

I think back in 05' or 06' IBM sold their ThinkPad mark to Lenovo and in my honest opinion, Lenovo has done a great job with it.

Especially the ThinkPad Edge series, or IdeaPad U series.

I don't like companies such as HP, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, Sony VAIO, Asus and the rest... I mean, I owned 2 HP's laptops, 1 Asus laptop, 1 Gateway laptop and 2 Dell laptops in the past and as well as 1 Sony VAIO.

This is of course personal opinion, none of the brands I owned in the past comes close to what ThinkPad offers, in terms of $ per pound value.

I mean, find me a 14" - 15" laptop that is LED edge lit, 720p display, 720p camera, finger print scanner, HDMI ready, Core i5 2nd gen CPU, Slot Load DVDRW (Vehicle Style), weighs 4 lbs... for $450...

It is of course "Refurbished" but doesn't change the fact that I got a $900 MSRP laptop for half the price.

You will need to be patient to wait for the best deal to come up but the site I provided refreshes their stock conditions sometimes as frequent as a hourly basis. There were many instances in the past where I chose one to buy and during check out, it's already sold out.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I bought a great Medion Akoya for my father 2 months back.

Has the highest specs of any laptop i could find for the price.

edit on 20-2-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Hahaha... Medion is great.. honestly. But I have to tell ya, I'm surprised someone threw that name on here..

They're top tier European brand. My company currently OEM for them ...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker84

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Hahaha... Medion is great.. honestly. But I have to tell ya, I'm surprised someone threw that name on here..

They're top tier European brand. My company currently OEM for them ...

Yeah they are not a well known German brand. But i couldn't ignore the great specs they had for the money

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join