It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prepping Plan (Bugging In) - Any gaping holes or suggestions?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
We started buy canned food by the case when it goes on sale. We date it and rotate through. It saves a lot of money over the course of a year.

You might consider getting a fuel tank. They don't cost too much. You need to locate it so it isn't visible from the road.

You might also think about local transportation (bicycles or horses)

Also, think about how you could close your road off and make your house look like it's been looted.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Don't forget to have canning salt in your supplies and also vinegar. I have quite a bit of food in my freezer and when you have that it is wise to have a way to preserve it if the power is out for a real long time. Also those two things, along with canning jars and lids, are good if you have a garden. I like dilly beans and pickled herring myself. A small smoker would be a good thing also. Some pickling spices are a must also.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   
We're pretty far in from the road (as you can see). So we shouldn't look too enticing. Plus, they have to get through two gates/fences. The roadside gate/fence is 8' high. (the other ones are standard height). Then, they have to deal with armed sentries, and once the alarm is sounded, the whole, armed ranch.

We usually try and get some food in bulk quantities when able, and always stock up during sales (buy one get one especially). That way, it's things we like and eat every day.

I did canning with my grandparents when younger, so looking forward to being able to do it again. It was crazy to open a jar of veggies years old, that tasted like the day they were picked. Of course, we'll eat at harvest time, but all extra gets canned.

Of course, there are other things planned for the ranch that aren't prep-related, some decor things, some home-improvement things, etc., so it will all have to work in and may alter the timeline some. Personally, I doubt we'll see any kind of SHTF event in our lifetime that won't be sorted out, life back to normal, inside of 6 months...but during those 6 months, would be nice to have an uninterrupted lifestyle...and it would be nice to eventually not have to pay electric.

I looked into a fuel tank, but it's crazy expensive. Solar is expensive too, but eventually, pays for itself. The tank doesn't...so harder to justify. Plus, I'd need regular and diesel. In a sense, the truck kind of serves as a pretty big tank. I do have some knowledge of how station pumps work and mix fuel, etc. (that's the good thing about diesel, it's own ready tanks in the station)....so of course, in a real SHTF environment, looting for supplies will be something to do...but I plan to only do so from unoccupied sources. Sure, we have an EMT in the group, but I hope we never have to use her in that role! A firefight with no modern medicine is way to risky, unless everything is on the line.

I should mention, the other military guy in our group was a demolitions guy...so maybe we'll rig up some things around the perimeter....(only after the SHTF of course)...
edit on 20-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Water:

Rain water harvesting is as simple and cutting off the down spout so a 55 gallon barrel will fit under neath it or getting one of those pallet tanks.

Everyone should have rain water collection sources as ground water could be become contaminated,

As with a well water softerner? reverse osmossios water filtration from the well?

Not that expensive if you shop around.

^ surveillance systems cameras have come down any choice of wired to wireless to network/ip cameras

network ip cameras beauty is you can use a laptop.

Perimeter protection as drive way alarms and murs motion detectors,

None of those wil cost an arm and a leg

55 gallon fuel drums for fuel storage way my pop use to store fuel and way cheaper than one of those big ones.
edit on 20-2-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Yeah sea moss/irish moss, has 92 of the minerals your body needs. Google Dr. Sebi. He has cured cancers, hiv, full blown aids and other terminal diseases by just using what mother nature gave us, of course with other natural minerals and herbs. None of these things come from hybrid's either. Seriously enlighten yourself and do the research.

Also if any of guys are balding let me know. My buddy and I fixed his dads balding by using a shampoo he sells and a product he has called the T1 Male Nourishment. Its all natural too. I witnessed it myself.

I should just make my own thread for all this information. The sea moss is crazy, how good it makes you feel.

I don't want to post the website on here because i don't know if its against the site rules or not, but if you want to msg me i can help find the information for you.
edit on 20-2-2013 by Donahue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

If you have RO system, you would need a way to bring the pH back up to at least neutral levels and you wouldn't need a water softener.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

look up sea moss and dr. sebi

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Donahue

You are, or you are wanting me to look it up?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

i want you to look it up. www.drsebiproducts.com...

I use these products and god damn i feel god damn amazing.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I highly recommend the Mittlieder Method of gardening. I've switched over and my plants are already looking great. The downside is that you do need fertilizer. The good news is that you can literally buy YEARS worth of their custom mix for pretty cheap. Get the micro mix from them instead of making it yourself. $100-200 worth of that will last you forever, and store forever. Then stock up on 25lb bags of epsom salts (used in the custom mix) and 13-13-13 oto 16-16-16. You will have great yields and super nutritious to boot. You don't even need soil. Read about it here:

growfood.com...

I've planted broccoli, asparagus, cauliflower, red potatoes, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, onions, beets, strawberries some herbs and celery in my backyard.

I wish I could afford 5-10 acres. I am looking at a couple of acres that I can buy. Then a huge garden.

I'm talking with the city councel now to get the chicken restrictions lifted. All I am allowed to have now is 2. For eggs I need 5... Once moved I'd like to raise then for meat. I'm really wondering if there's time. "Things" are not looking good, economy wise.

I do already live in Texas though!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Like the tread.
You mention you have a rifle and plenty of ammo I would suggest a semi-auto and at least 1000 rounds per gun.

Prepping is expensive and with the prices of AR-15s today if you are coming late to the game you might be out of luck. Even good ammo is $1 a round. I would still suggest spending the money on a good firearm.
edit on 21-2-2013 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Several large and very visible official looking signs that say something along the lines of Government property no trespassing violators will be shot. Put them up around your property when tshtf and make your perimeter look formidable. 8 fake video cameras up on poles around your property does wonders on would be intruders mind, this wouldn't stop a horde of organized bandits but it would turn away 80% of normal gullible folk.

Also to make your property look as though it has been condemned for whatever reason, Get govt looking metals signs that claim your property is contaminated or a bio-hazard area, Tape up your doors with bright yellow and red bio hazard tape and post a document on the door ect ect.

Or wait for a few bandits to try and take over your land and put their heads up on pikes in your drive way entrance.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Rain water harvesting is as simple and cutting off the down spout so a 55 gallon barrel will fit under neath it or getting one of those pallet tanks.

Yep, already have one, in the plan I mentioned, adding another one.

surveillance systems cameras have come down any choice of wired to wireless to network/ip cameras

Due to distances, I pretty much have to go wireless, and the ranch is already wireless anyhow. That is the idea, being able to use a laptop to view the cameras.

Perimeter protection as drive way alarms and murs motion detectors,

I mentioned the driveway alerts, only about $75 for a decent ranged one (I'll need at least one extender for the roadside one though).

55 gallon fuel drums for fuel storage way my pop use to store fuel and way cheaper than one of those big ones.

Excellent idea! I could get 3 (2 diesel, 1 regular). I'd have to rig them up to be able to easily get gas out of them.

Yeah sea moss/irish moss, has 92 of the minerals your body needs. Google Dr. Sebi. He has cured cancers, hiv, full blown aids and other terminal diseases by just using what mother nature gave us, of course with other natural minerals and herbs. None of these things come from hybrid's either. Seriously enlighten yourself and do the research.

I actually remember something about this now...something to look at, at least...

I highly recommend the Mittlieder Method of gardening. I've switched over and my plants are already looking great. The downside is that you do need fertilizer. The good news is that you can literally buy YEARS worth of their custom mix for pretty cheap. Get the micro mix from them instead of making it yourself. $100-200 worth of that will last you forever, and store forever. Then stock up on 25lb bags of epsom salts (used in the custom mix) and 13-13-13 oto 16-16-16. You will have great yields and super nutritious to boot. You don't even need soil. Read about it here:

Interesting.

Like the tread. You mention you have a rifle and plenty of ammo I would suggest a semi-auto and at least 1000 rounds per gun.
Prepping is expensive and with the prices of AR-15s today if you are coming late to the game you might be out of luck. Even good ammo is $1 a round. I would still suggest spending the money on a good firearm.

I'm not looking to really get an assault rifle, more like a hunting rifle. Our cop group member has one or two though. Most of his Marine Corps awards were in rifles. I already have at least 1000 rounds per weapon (other than the shotgun), but I'm aiming to have at least 5000 per. (and 1000 per shotgun). Adding a couple of shotguns is easy and relatively cheap.

Or wait for a few bandits to try and take over your land and put their heads up on pikes in your drive way entrance.

Probably more like it, other than sanitary reasons.
Seriously though, I think government signs may make it more of a target (they'll assume we have weapons and supplies, etc. and more so than a ranch). Thing is, I'm rural, so there isn't a whole lot of reason for folks to pass my way, other than locals. It does bring up another idea though...rigging up road traps, before they ever even pass my place (only after a SHTF event, of course). Hidden spike strips, some posts to prevent them from driving through the fence, etc.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think having a map of the layout of the place, names of peoples ranch, and the name of the road it's on seems to be a bit of a security risk? Or am I being paranoid?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by tazdeill2

A bit...I mean, like I said, if someone makes it all the way here in a SHTF scenario, remembering this one post who knows how long ago, then I say more power to 'em...and I'd rather add someone to the group, especially one that determined to survive.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Anyone attacking you has a lot of open ground to cover against defensive fire, even if they breach the fence. Their best plan is to use vehicles so I would make a lot of caltrops and sow them liberally when you have to bunker down.

The other thing, grow edible fungi-with rotted hay, horse manure and chicken manure, you could grow just about any variety.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Water purification? Do you have an RO system? In the event of a radioactive situation this will filter out radioactive particles.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donahue

i want you to look it up. www.drsebiproducts.com...

I use these products and god damn i feel god damn amazing.
Ya and your full of some damn bull#

posted on Feb, 25 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   

No. If there's a nuke situation, we're pretty much toast...simple as that. Even out in the country, we're situated too close (from a nuke standpoint) to too many big targets and military bases.

A somewhat nearby nuclear plant meltdown may be a more "preppable" event to plan for though, so I'll add it to the research list.

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
not bad ... couple things that may help .. 1. a good old-fashioned hand pump for the well as a back up .. 2 . convert your truck to bio-diesel you can make your own fuel rather than rely on outside sources or stockpiles that could run out ... is late here and half awake but thats what came to mind initially am off to sleep shortly been long day here ...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join