It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

when is an act of aggression ok as a FIRST step?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
When is it appropriate to smack someone? When is taking the initiative in an act of violence or aggression correct?
Never?

When is it OK to take the first step in what everyone says you must only react? Must you only react?

Is it ever OK to jump the gun so to speak?

Simple question really.....

edit on 20-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
As long as you are law enforcement or carry some type of badge then its okay.. According to the cops that is.. not sure about anyone else.

Legally speaking every state is different and also you better hope to have some witnesses if the person doesn't have a weapon and you hurt them badly or you have a weapon becuase likely you will end up in the wrong even if you did fear for your life.

I always carry a knife with me and I would use it even if the other person didn't have a knife because I do not physically have the ability to defend myself as well as someone else might without some advantage because I have neck/back problems, I am also not trained in any special types of fighting skills.

But I could run into a situation where someone tried to hurt me and I stabbed them and I end up in jail unless I had someone to backup my story that the person was trying to hurt me and I defended myself.

In texas from what I understand if someone is on your property and you ask them to leave and they do not you can shoot them, I know for a fact if they are inside your home you can use deadly force no matter if they are armed or not. If they were outside I would not use deadly force or you are probably going to have some legal issues from it. But in a state like TX you have a better chance of walking away then anywhere else for protecting yourself.

As far as laying hands on someone from what I understand (in tx) if someone is acting agressive towards you (they don't haev to touch you) you can defend yourself. EX, if they get in your face you push them away and tell them to back off of you will defend yourself. If they come back at you then you must expect that they are going to harm you and you do what you have to do to defend yourself.

I also use to carry one of those extending wand things that police have in las vegas because knives are iffy there, but its against the law to use them on anyone above the neck even in self defense. Like if you hit someone in the head with one you are going ot get into trouble because they are designed to where you should be able to disable someone easily without hitting them in the head. That thing if you barely hit someone in the wrist you will break it, if you hit them in the knee likely you break a knee cap and they aren't going to keep coming at you. If they do then keep hitting them, if they are way bigger then you or have some type of weapon and I am truely afraid for my life then I will hit them in the head and take my chances in court.
edit on 20-2-2013 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Aggression is a negative. There is nothing positive about a negative. Positively.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

thanks for that well thought out response.

I swear, being from NY I never considered moving to TX....but this past year, it is looking more and more like paradise....well, like normal people live there......that is just strange to me. I have to visit my sister over there and see for myself...I may move there one day. It just makes sense to me, the way people are form TX that is. I have met some Texans and they did the state justice....

thanks again...

edit on 20-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysterioustranger
Aggression is a negative. There is nothing positive about a negative. Positively.

Well when someone has a knife and they are demanding your money you tell that to them and see what they say.. Later when you wake up in the ER from a knife wound and are missing your wallet and jewelry you will probably think twice about how that worked out for you.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater

Originally posted by mysterioustranger

Well when someone has a knife and they are demanding your money you tell that to them and see what they say.. Later when you wake up in the ER from a knife wound and are missing your wallet and jewelry you will probably think twice about how that worked out for you.

In this scenario the person holding the knife and robbing you is the aggressor.

Nice attempt though.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
In my opinion, being the aggressor of violence is never okay. Only in defense is it acceptable.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

I have been here for about 5-6 months now and honestly I have no felt in any way afraid from any other person here or had any hostility from anyone, Everyone here for the most part drives normal and not like idiots, if you put your blinker on they let you over.

People are considerate, and they care about the environment, lots of outdoor parks and water access, lots of good food, lots of people that grow their own foods and are against GMO here.

I honestly never really think about locking my doors on my car, the only reason I lock my house door is because it pops open if you don't lock the dead bolt. I leave my windows open all the time (with the screen in them) and I go out for hours.

Lots of people here have guns, I see people walking around with them now and again but not as much as I would expect.

I am near austin though and idk if that makes a difference.. Also the only thing that could make things better here is legalize marijuana. But they are pretty harsh here on that stuff.

Lots of great free things to do though here, lots of good music, food, public services, public parks, great jobs with good income, and low cost housing. Oh and a poop load of gun shops and shooting ranges
and everyone here loves guns!
edit on 20-2-2013 by dc4lifeskater because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

With what you describe....it is THEY wouldve made the 1st aggressive move. Thats not what you asked as a FIRST step.
By all means: defend yourself.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

My personal philosophy.

Physical violence is meant to hurt people.
And we only should hurt others when our own lives or a loved ones life is in danger and you can't get away.
And then we should respond with an equal amount of force.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
When the person in front of you in the express lane has 11 items. You should be allowed to beat that person with the extra items without punishment.

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
If someone is on your property (or worse, in your home) at night after you've locked up, and you didn't invite them in, I'm definitely of the shoot first, ask questions later type. And, if they want me to call an ambulance, they better answer my questions. If not, then I have to spend a few hours digging a big hole, which will make me pretty cranky...

new topics

top topics

join