It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FoxNews and other conservative media rip WWE

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
link

So, it all started with Alex Jones ripping in to WWE for a wrestler and his manager supposedly being used to make fun of the tea party. On the latest episode of Monday Night RAW, Coulter and Swagger began.talking about immigrants and getting rid of them. Swagger is in a feud with Mexican national Alberto Del Rio. I'll try to find video of the promo later.

Alex Jones started screaming about it and the conservative media saw this as another chance to burn professional wrestling. Well, I guess it's still real to them, damn it! Because these guys are doing what a heel, or bad guy, does and that's say negative things to get the ire of the audience. Seeing it as anything else is rather silly.

Oh, and Jones also brought up Linda McMahon's senate run and said that her being a part of the republican machine is another reason for this rag on the tea party. You can read more at the link provided.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
"professional" wrestling has been the laughing stock of professional sports since way back in the 60`s when I was a kid. The fact that foxnews feels the need to address anything related to "professional" wrestling just puts them on the same scale and in the same league as "professional" wrestling.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
"professional" wrestling has been the laughing stock of professional sports since way back in the 60`s when I was a kid. The fact that foxnews feels the need to address anything related to "professional" wrestling just puts them on the same scale and in the same league as "professional" wrestling.

Except professional wrestling isn't a professional sport so who really cares if its been a laughing stock there.
It is sports entertainment with very high levels of athleticism, agility and story telling\acting being required.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

If there was actual "fighting" during a WWE wrestling show I would probably be upset. But since it's just a roid rage fueled soap opera now a days, I can't say that I mind. It used to be fight after fight after fight. I'd watch it as a kid and I would LOVE it. But then it got all melodramatic and half the show is bickering and name calling. But when they do actually fight It's pretty amazing how 300+ pound guys can fly through the air like that.
edit on 20-2-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
There is an underlying story here. And it's not about the state of professional wrestling today. Something you guys obviously don't really know much about. No offense meant by that.

The story here is Alex Jones going after characters on a wrestling show as if they were purposely created to make fun of the tea party. Ridiculous? Yes.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Wrestling is the most retarded thing on TV, who cares what anyone says about it??

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Echo3Foxtrot
There is an underlying story here. And it's not about the state of professional wrestling today. Something you guys obviously don't really know much about. No offense meant by that.

The story here is Alex Jones going after characters on a wrestling show as if they were purposely created to make fun of the tea party. Ridiculous? Yes.

Jones missed the clue boat.. AGAIN

The WWE pretty much offends everyone... on purpose. Tea party is only one of the over the top characterizations. There are plenty and its meant to be that way, its a goof! They take one part of some character and exaggerate it... for theatre. Its been this way since I can remember.. 40+ years. Theyve made fun of every political persuasion, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, regional or country stereotype, etc... and wrapped it up in ridiculous scenarios and skits. We joke and call it Dads Soap Opera. The husand and I watch it at times for a goof.. sort of nostalgic memories from when we had a whole 4 channels to choose from when kids... well before cable or etc. LOL! Low brow entertainment!
I guess there wasnt enough doom or real life issues he was aware of that week and had to find or manufacture something to get riled up about.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's not ridiculous. Jones can be ridiculous, but this isn't. That's exactly what they are doing.

The McMahon's are sucking up to the Republican establishment in preparation for Linda's next run.

The WWE has a HUGE reach, with a lot of overlap with the tea party, and somebody up there in the elite power structure was obviously like 'what have you done for us lately' with it.

Swagger's new character is pretty much how the Republican establishment wants America to see the tea party.

But the OTHER anti tea party characters are even more offenseive: the Shield. It's three guys who dress in black tactical gear and act like an Anders Brevik. That's how the establishment wants the public to think of people who like things like 'freedom' and 'rights' and who are against the globalist agenda.

Really though, they probably won't change many minds and they WILL lose a few fans over it. But overall it is just more propaganda in the golden age of propaganda. It probably amounts to more than a drop in a bucket, but clearly they are hitting diminishing returns with what can be done with propaganda.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 11andrew34

wait... weren't most of the tea party members conservative republicans?

And am I the only one who laughs anytime somone says NWO, because, well, WWF was talking about that when i was a kid, maybe that's where AJ picked up the term. Or maybe from Bush continually talking about it, who knows.

Anyways, this is exactly what wrastlin does, riles up people to get them interested, no publicity is bad publicity.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I always seen wrestling as an entertainment that i grew out of at age 12. Probably because my friends weren't interested and many things in life distracted me.. girls come to mind.

Why would Fox try to do something like this? i mean... there is higher quantity of wrestling fans in the red states.

Oh right.. they brought politics in it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

Fox News just wishes it had as much credibility as pro wrestling.

But I agree that the WWE is just trying to sway viewers into supporting amnesty for illegal immigrants. One week Alberto Del Rio runs over Santa with his car, the next week he is a good guy and people are bashing him because he's from Mexico.

I think if it wasn't for the current push for amnesty, the Del Rio storyline would have focused more along the lines of, "What does Del Rio grow on his ranch in Mexico that allows him to show up in a different $100k car every week?"

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
reply to post by 11andrew34

And am I the only one who laughs anytime somone says NWO, because, well, WWF was talking about that when i was a kid, maybe that's where AJ picked up the term. Or maybe from Bush continually talking about it, who knows.

FWIW

The NWO story line didn't originate from the WWE/WWF bur rather the WCW.
If you were a fan of wrestling the Monday Night Wars were great.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Echo3Foxtrot

If you are a conservative and had any illusion that the Republican party is not part of GAME............WAKE UP.

Think about it they are using wrestling......
Are conservatives really this stupid? Maybe some but not this one. I see this for what it is propaganda. And if you had any doubts about Alex also being part of this GAME......WAKE UP.

When you see crap like this you know they are running on empty. The progressives are going to make a play for freedom and it seems it might not be to far off in the future. Both sides are controlled by the progressives and yet good liberals and conservatives still play the stupid GAME.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Sure this is offensive but its all for entertainment! nobody complained when R-Truth came out wearing a confederate uniform. or the fact that every so often they have a MIDGET(s) take part in fights.

or how the tag teams are clearly so diverse, you know. theres a tag team with 2 mexicans, one with 2 puerto ricans?, one with 2 black people, also the 2 fat guys are also on a tag team.

the WWE is more of a comedy soap opera than anything else.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
A few points:

1) The NWO gimmick was WCW. In was the brainchild of Terry Bolea ( Hulk Hogan ) and Eric Bishoff. Ironically it is both WCW's most successful plot line and also the one that helped to sink the company.

2) WWE is entertainment. They don't even call their wrestlers "wrestlers". They call them "Superstars". It is not difficult, at all, to find "shoot" interviews ( interviews done out of character - interviews in character and storyline are called "works" or "kayfabe" ) that discuss this in great detail. This does not detract, however, from the fact that this "fake" sport is every bit as dangerous as any full contact "real" sport. Career ending injuries are common, including broken necks and backs.

3) Alex Jones is an idiot. He has also recently done a piece on the Harlem Shake. Apparently it's a slow week for tracking the Bildebergers and FEMA coffin liners.

4) The new Jack Swagger character - the Tea Party overkill one - is exactly what one would expect from wrestling writers. Anytime an issue becomes heated or socially polarizing, you can expect a wrestler to end up becoming a parody of that issue. In the case of Swagger it's a two fold thing. He is deaf and when he talks it is painfully obvious that he is deaf. IE he has no microphone skills. In the storyline his "Uncle" was introduced, at first as an "ideal American" type figure ( to help kill off Swaggers old character - which was a mix of greased up deaf guy and Brock Lesnar ) who quickly "proved" to be small minded and rather bigoted and disillusions. This allows for Swagger ( A very large and skilled athlete ) to stand there doing what he's good at ( looking mean ) while this Uncle character does the talking.

5) Fox news grows increasingly irresponsible IMO - as do many other media outlets. Long gone are the days of "Here is the news. What do you think?". Now it is all about "This is the news and you will think exactly what we tell you!!!" News has stopped being journalism these days and is more about pedantic cow towing to a chosen demographic than anything else. In that regard, Fox, like others, manufactures the news that suits their viewer-ship.

6) Don't judge! I watch wrasslin because I find it funny!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
Wrestling is the most retarded thing on TV, who cares what anyone says about it??

Survivor
American Idol
Jersey Shore
Biggest Loser

Any "reality" tv is worse than professional wrestling.

My problem here is that the media is making a huge deal of it. Jack Swagger is bad guy. He is going to say offensive things to get the crowd to hate him. The idea that they have blown this up makes me wonder if they are just grasping at straws to once again take a shot at the business. A business I am a part of. A business I love. This would be like them tearing apart a character from whatever the hot tv show on cable tv is.

Is McMahon pandering to the republicans? Probably. Wouldn't put it past him. But I see this more of them taking a real world issue and turning it in to a story they can use to try and further a feud. It's nothing to get all crazy about.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Anyone see the BIG SHOW chest slap someone?

It all maybe acting, but some of these guys actually do get hurt and seriously injured.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   

So let me get this straight....people have an issue with the human cartoon characters that are professional wrestlers (they are amazing athletes, but still, theyre personas are meant to be caricatures), especially the 'heels', whose entire point is to get people to not like them?

Vince Mcmahon laughs his way to another $100 million.
edit on 20-2-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

I fully agree with Heff here, and I almost kicked Scott Steiner's ass last September... The other mods can vouch for that

The mainstream media really doesn't have anything else to do other than distraction.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

So let me get this straight....people have an issue with the human cartoon characters that are professional wrestlers (they are amazing athletes, but still, theyre personals are meant to be caricatures), especially the 'heels', whose entire point is to get people to not like them?

Vince Mcmahon laughs his way to another $100 million.

What you have to consider though is an average viewership of "Monday Night Raw" can and does reach up to 14 million people. Compare that to a typical audience for Piers Morgan on CNN at between 300-500 thousand.

Some, not all but...... Some of the people who watch wrestling and really enjoy it are people who are very easily manipulated, that is probably why they enjoy wrestling so much, they get caught up in the ever developing plots and find themselves choosing sides and allegiances through their tv.

Sending subtle political messages to this audience base to influence overall perception is not that big of a stretch. Mcmahon is a dirtbag but he is a long way from dumb and he has strong political connections and ideals.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join