It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Kyle (US Sniper) - You see a hero. I see a devil

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Just a little venting here....

The recent killing of accomplished killer and mass-murder Chris Kyle has sparked a wave of fevered idolization and cult-like hero-worship across the nation.

His funeral service was so large it had to be held at Cowboys stadium here in Arlington. I do not follow any organized religion but aren't most of them teaching that it is WRONG to kill? Period?

From the wikipedia entry:

Christopher Scott "Chris" Kyle (April 8, 1974 – February 2, 2013) was a United States Navy SEAL and the most lethal sniper in American military history, with 160 confirmed kills (out of 255 claimed kills),[4][5] although these statistics have not been released by the Pentagon.[7] At the age of 8, Kyle's father taught him to shoot. As a youth, he trained as a bronco rider for the rodeo, which he gave up after a serious injury to his arm. He had intended to volunteer and enlist in the U.S. Marine Corps, and was recruited by the U.S. Army, but eventually enlisted with the U.S. Navy. Kyle served four tours in the second Iraq war, and was awarded the Bronze and Silver Star medals multiple times. Iraqi insurgents dubbed him the "Devil of Ramadi" and offered an increasing bounty for his head. He was shot twice, and was involved in six IED attacks. Kyle was honorably discharged from the U.S. Navy in 2009 in order to spend time with his family. He remained in the spotlight during retirement, and wrote a New York Times bestselling autobiography, American Sniper. Kyle was shot and killed on February 2, 2013, near Chalk Mountain, Texas.

over 150 people killed huh? And people look up to him?

Sorry guys - I see someone who was seriously **SNIP** up, out of touch with humanity and simply a stupid machine used by things and people he couldn't comprehend.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about why this person should be considered a hero.,
thanks
edit on 2/20/2013 by semperfortis because: Watch the profanity

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I see your point but your skating a gray line here, dontcha think?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Let's say the exact same statistics were accomplished by a robot able to walk and move freely.

How would we feel about said robot? Probably pretty nervous.

I personally don't blame the robot (nor celebrate it), but I do look very very carefully at the person with the remote control (aka order givers).
edit on 20-2-2013 by ErgoTheConclusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:02 AM
link   
cuz he could shoot a gun real good, and guns are AWESOME!!! /sarcasm

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
This is what I think. I think he is a bad person because he is an American Sniper. Sorry, I thought this had fully posted, waht your saying is he is a bad person BECAUSE he is an american sniper or because he is a sniper ? It's hard to tell, I mean, this is like a philosphy/Metphysical form, so is the issue he's going to burn in hell? Is it because he shot another human being from long range, or is it just because he shot someone? I don't get what your trying to say
edit on 20/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: spelling, content, context

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I imagine that his actions saved many lives. Either way, he served his country honorably, and thats enough!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1nf1del
I see your point but you're [sic] skating a gray line here, dontcha think?

Why? Pointing out hypocrisy is one of the best things about ATS.

It does seem sick to me to celebrate a man that is one of the biggest mass killers in recent history.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I was a bit put off as well but I wouldn't call him a devil. Just a prime example of a perfectly manipulated citizen.

The fact is, we have a mercenary army...soldiers who are willing to kill for money....whether it's in the form of salary, benefits, tuition or job training...despite the fact many don't even understand our policies abroad or who the enemy is...if either are even defined.

It's packaged and marketed to mostly young men as a sort of warped patriotism. Kyle went so far as to say he had difficulty distinguishing which came first, God, family or country.

It's obviously effective given that we have endless war, a situation which would end immediately if we had a draft or mandatory national service.

edit on 2/20/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Obviously you are a left winged anti-war person, which is ok. We defend you also. He was respected for his accomplishments, truly remarkable for his trade, best of the best. Give credit were credit is due, I disagree with Code Pink but give them credit at doing what they do best.

Do you want to discuss war and killing or someones ability to achieve at the highest level, 2 different topics.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by b14warrior

Originally posted by 1nf1del
I see your point but you're [sic] skating a gray line here, dontcha think?

Why? Pointing out hypocrisy is one of the best things about ATS.

It does seem sick to me to celebrate a man that is one of the biggest mass killers in recent history.

Would you say the same thing about Vasily Zaytsev
He killed over 400 Nazis as a sniper. WOuld he be a hero or murderer to you guys?
edit on 20-2-2013 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I see your point as well. Though as a US citizen this is a man that defended US freedom (mine and yours pending citizenship) whether by being a political puppet or not. He was an outstanding shot at that. Do I see a reason to idolize him? No. Is he a hero? Yes, in the eyes of the United States he is a patriot who went behind enemy lines putting his life and his spoters life at stake. (Have you defended the lives of Americans and gone behind enemy lines? Your OP is a hypocritical statement at best as not everyone is passive) Calling him a devil? Meh~ To each there own but I would show more support to the troops whether your believe in your gov't or not as they are our boy's and defending our freedoms regardless of what they are used for.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I have to wonder how killing people with drones in mass is any better. Is it because you don't see them die? This man was basically protecting his friends from people who wanted to kill them. If they had an RPG in their hands what do you think they planned to do with it?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I think he was a pretty good shot. I would assume to the Russians, he was a hero, to the Germans, he was a 'Devil', It all depends on which end of the gun your at, I guess, as the target, or not. I don't get the 'mass murder' thing? Is it like a mans inhumanity to man issue? Theological problems? Does it make God cry? Only US Soldiers are 'Mercenary'? Guy was good with a gun, so was the SEAL, so are alot of guys who's names we'll never know. Why is this post even in this forum ?
edit on 20/2/2013 by CarbonBase because: spelling

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by DOLCOTT

When serial killers achieve at their "highest level" we don't celebrate their accomplishments. It's merely a convenient social/moral construct to draw a distinction between the two.
edit on 2/20/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sulaw
I see your point as well. Though as a US citizen this is a man that defended US freedom (mine and yours pending citizenship) whether by being a political puppet or not.

He wasn't defending your freedom. None of the people shot by him were on or close to U.S soil. And none of them were attacking you. He was defending his own invading force. Nothing more.

And I agree with the OP. This individual was cold, as could be seen in his interviews. Something was missing there.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
Obviously you are a left winged anti-war person, which is ok. We defend you also. He was respected for his accomplishments, truly remarkable for his trade, best of the best. Give credit were credit is due, I disagree with Code Pink but give them credit at doing what they do best.

Do you want to discuss war and killing or someones ability to achieve at the highest level, 2 different topics.

Clearly you are ignorant. You do not have to be left or right wing to disagree with the war he was fighting in or disagree with killing.

I personally feel he did not protect me. I was never in danger from terrorists until the war on terror. My opinion anyway,

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
We defend you also.

LOL,wut?
I'm in need of defense? From what?

Oh right....

TEWWOWISTS!!![/SIZE]

Allow me to excuse everything and anything anyone wishes to do in the military from now on, forever and for all time.

Soldiers are misguided pawns. Even generals are little more than maybe... rooks.
edit on 20-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
But if you are ever being attacked and beaten in a violent situation you are the hypocrite that will call out for help from people like him because you are to much of coward and weakling to defend your self properly.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RMFX1

Originally posted by sulaw
I see your point as well. Though as a US citizen this is a man that defended US freedom (mine and yours pending citizenship) whether by being a political puppet or not.

He wasn't defending your freedom. None of the people shot by him were on or close to U.S soil. And none of them were attacking you. He was defending his own invading force. Nothing more.

And I agree with the OP. This individual was cold, as could be seen in his interviews. Something was missing there.

I suppose something has to be missing to kill that many people.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Hey I like your avatar, how long did it take you to create it?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join