It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US ready to strike back against China cyberattacks

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted but here it is. They've been announcing for a long time yet several reports come out every now and then about Cyberattacks on the US networks. The administration shouldn't announce anything as the warnings sound pretty empty.

According to officials familiar with the plans, the White House will lay out a new report Wednesday that suggests initial, more-aggressive steps the U.S. would take in response to what top authorities say has been an unrelenting campaign of cyberstealing linked to the Chinese government. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the threatened action.

LINK

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
In George Orwell's 1984, they were always and perpetually at war. There was always an enemy to fear. Always an enemy out to get them. Always, always, always. But it was all a scam on the people. Even the "real" attacks.

I really get tired of feeling like I live in a novel that somebody took way too seriously, and decided to use as a playbook.

Why does China need to steal anything? They have more money than they can spend, and in the past, we've handed them just about anything they've wanted. If they're hacking anything, it's probably with the tools we gave them to do it.

S&F BTW.
edit on 2/20/2013 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

We are never told the truth.IMO by the announcement of this probably means it has already been going on for awhile.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty
reply to post by hp1229

We are never told the truth.IMO by the announcement of this probably means it has already been going on for awhile.
Or something coming down the pipeline ?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
China says US is full of crap and has NO proof:
ca.news.yahoo.com...

They must watch lots of CSI over there.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
In George Orwell's 1984, they were always and perpetually at war. There was always an enemy to fear. Always an enemy out to get them. Always, always, always. But it was all a scam on the people. Even the "real" attacks.

I really get tired of feeling like I live in a novel that somebody took way too seriously, and decided to use as a playbook.

Why does China need to steal anything? They have more money than they can spend, and in the past, we've handed them just about anything they've wanted. If they're hacking anything, it's probably with the tools we gave them to do it.

S&F BTW.
edit on 2/20/2013 by Klassified because: eta
I agree. However the only reason I see China might be interested in information is to easily reverse engineer some of the technology for their export market. They have already covered the consumer market and have also flooded the cheap weapons market. They are already exporting few models of their aircrafts. Who knows what else they wish to takeover/compete in the international trade markets by bypassing valuable time/money/R&D? I always wondered on the contrary as per how much information is stolen from the Chinese by US and others? Just for the kicks.
edit on 20-2-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

Oh well. Its the usual response as expected

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
one of the only reasons china has so much money is because they arent using it on R&D (like the U.S), they're just waiting for us to finish the work and then they come in and steal it at a fraction of the cost. if it wasnt for their corporate espionage they would still be a 3rd world country.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

they should assassinate a few of their hackers the way it was done in the cold war with spies. You cross the line in to active effort as an asset, then you are fair game.....

No public sentiment, no phone calls, no nothing. You spy you die.....

, or in a single day get every single one they do know of, see who is left and so find out who dies what, then go after them slowly /selectively.

edit on 20-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I'm sure the US is doing plenty of cyber related shenanigans as well.

What I don't understand is why we don't create some kind of false package for hackers to try and snag. You know, some kind of file that they think will be of value and, upon opening, it creates the equivalent of the paint puff that banks put in money bags when they are robbed.

Whether it's a tracer program that gives clear indication as to the source of the attack or, more damaging, a viral attack of some sort that infects the attacker's systems.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by hp1229

they should assassinate a few of their hackers, the way it was done in the cold war with spies. You cross the line in to active effort as an asset, then you are fair game.....

No public sentiment, no phone calls, no nothing. You spy you die.....

Except in the cold war the spies were in the country they were spying on. the chinese are launching these attacks from within their country so short of launching a drone strike on a big city in china there isnt much we can do. the U.S might have **some** assets in china but chances are they arent field agents like you see in the spy films but paid informants.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Obama is preparing to pass a version of CISPA by executive order. They must set up a reason for doing so first. This is the set up.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

well, set up a group within china, preferably tied to the Chinese mafia to carry out hits.

Or set up a politically motivated group to carry out assassinations for you, in return for supplies and intelligence for their "cause" that you supplied anyways....

I am just saying....this has to stop, and if they dont come to you, you need to go to them....

EDIT:
we have plenty of legal and illegal business operating already in China and have been for years. Use them, they owe the US for its blind eye......

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
i dont see how this is a setup, unless you mean that they're intentionally letting china steal state secrets so they can pass a bill to stop china from stealing state secrets? it just doesnt make any sense.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Instill fear, create fear....be afraid, very afraid. Enough all ready. It's not working any more, not for a lot of us and the numbers are growing exponentially every day. There is nothing that you can do either. The game is over and you, the dark ones have lost. So admit defeat already and we'll go easy on you, continue and there is no place in the multiverse that you can hide. We will hunt you down. Cosmic justice will be a bitch.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

you cant just "set up" a group within china. these things take YEARS of planning, you would need to have good sources in the country that you could actually trust. during the cold war this was often done by paying off the defectors/agents and bringing them back to the U.S where they could start a new life. this only worked because a majority of the people in the russia lived in poverty and unless you were REALLY high up on the food chain you had to wait in line for bread with all the other peons.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by MastaShake

dont the Chinese have the largest immigrant population in the world?

I understand that though. It would take years. BUT you also have a head start considering the ethnic Chinese living abroad who left China with less than good memories of their former country of residence.

It really is just a matter of candidate selection and documentation. The Mafias in China have much more power than they do elsewhere. The government fully supports them for the most part....there are many "ins".

I have no idea what I am talking about, that is a given, but it looks that way to me....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
What I don't understand is why we don't create some kind of false package for hackers to try and snag. You know, some kind of file that they think will be of value and, upon opening, it creates the equivalent of the paint puff that banks put in money bags when they are robbed.

Whether it's a tracer program that gives clear indication as to the source of the attack or, more damaging, a viral attack of some sort that infects the attacker's systems.
The issue really lies at the heart of the security framework
It is a very complex yet easy to understand from a technical perspective. However many highly paid officials/politicians/management folks generally do not fully understand it. Likewise individual users part of the victimized networks do not understand the architecture/framework or sometimes its the case of negligence due to negligence by their peers (oh well..i dont give a damn either if he/she doesn't). Most of the hacking techniques are nothing new and pretty much known to the software/hardware engineering firms. Most of the Private and DOD networks/systems are vast and are distributed (which wasn't the case during Mainframe Days). There are Decoy systems/networks just to divert and keep the attackers busy sending them on to a wild goose chase. However many of the tools/techniques are easily available to download on the internet for exploits and bypasses. The unfortunate reality is that the US does face a huge shortage of technical experts at workplaces (especially government sector). You might remember that there was a drive announcement to hire hackers by several agencies sometime last year.

LINK1
LINK2
LINK3

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by hp1229

they should assassinate a few of their hackers the way it was done in the cold war with spies. You cross the line in to active effort as an asset, then you are fair game.....

Times have long changed a lot since cold war all due thanks to the technology itself. The PRC government itself is the biggest criminals that the local mobs do not stand a chance even if they were hired for hit

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MastaShakeI dont see how this is a setup, unless you mean that they're intentionally letting china steal state secrets so they can pass a bill to stop china from stealing state secrets? it just doesnt make any sense.
Why doesn't it make a sense? Nobody knows what was stolen..atleast average citizen doesn't. The nature of the IT industry is such along with judicial laws that one cannot pin point unless until they have the actual media/hardware in possession for verification.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join