It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Century Of The Self

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+85 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

DOCUMENTARY

This is an amazing BBC documentary that looks at various factors that have forged Western economics and attitudes since the 20th century. Using vintage footage clips and historical evidence, it packs a punch even for non- history buffs and those who generally dismiss non-fiction. A provocative look at the dominance of capitalism and social engineering in our 21 century world.

[color=grey]Duration: 3:54:55

edit on 20-2-2013 by mekhanics because: (no reason given)

+14 more 
posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I will save this and watch it today if I get lucky and they cancel school.

(keeps fingers crossed)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
THANK YOU!
I have been looking for this for sometime in full.

S&F

Peace, NRE.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Excellent video...I know it well. I have the full 4 hour version bookmarked that I share often.

The theories and discoveries of Freud and the exploitation of those by his nephew is a big part of how we got to where we are today. The board rooms, advertisers and even our "benevolent" (/sarcasm) Gov have all expanded the research into Freud's and Bernays' work.

I won't say that people are being brainwashed as that sounds crazy as a football bat...but people are heavily influenced by media at a subconscious level..."My sports hero...favorite musician...etc...wears those shoes and that kinda shirt so I must have it"...So we spend our hard earned money on stupid crap we have been subconsciously influenced to want...

Nice job putting this in a thread by itself. I will be watching this thread to see how others absorb all the information in here and what they have to say about it.
edit on 2/20/2013 by Jeremiah65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
This doc can never be promoted enough. I'm sure there are a few of us who wish we could have seen this film decades ago, when we went to school.
Hopechest - tell your teacher about it-- what a great class project. Don't know how old you are, but it would be interesting to read your teacher's response.
Any teacher, for that matter.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
A definite must see for any good conspiracy theorist.

I've watched this entire film at least 3 maybe 4 times and it is without a doubt on my list of best documentaries on the internet.

I think I've posted the link to this video over 10 times in different threads here on ATS.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
One of my favorite documentaries. I'm glad to see it featured on ATS. It is very important and has been embedded frequently in other threads.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Great documentary. I had never really heard of Edward Burnays before watching this. Yet his influence on our world has been immeasurable.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mekhanics

My hope and prayer, is that this century will be known in hindsight as the century of the human being where we unlock and unleash our fuller human potential and realize a whole new dynamic in self awareness and human interpersonal relations. Amen.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is an excellent documentary that I think everyone should watch.

The guy who made this has done some other stuff worth watching, as well. "The Power Of Nightmares" being one. If you liked Centur y of the self, you might want to check that one out. It talks about and compares the rise of neo-conservativism and radical islam, and talks about some of the tactics that the neocons use.

I can't recommend either film enough.

en.wikipedia.org...

You should be able to easily find this one online as well.....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mekhanics

One of the most important documentaries out there IMHO. An eye opener of just how easily humans are manipulated. Very good job posting this

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Easily one of my favorite documentaries ever, if not my favorite. It is slow and takes time to get interesting, but it is well worth it. helps explain tons of things that other documentaries touch on or have a vague understanding of. WATCH IT

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Glad someone took the effort to make a thread on this.

I've been referring to it for a long time as one of the single most important documentaries to watch if one is ever interested in understanding the truth behind the social "mind control" agenda facing not only the U.S but (Thanks to the internet) Earth.

This is just the tip of the iceburg, people like Edward Bernays; he is but one man.
There are many like him, whose names we might never learn of until decades after their 'role' has been played.

S+F --- hope this stuff gets out.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I would rather have it be the Century of the Self than the Centuries of the Church and the Crown. To hell with that.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If this type of thing interests you, do some digging on a think tank known as "Tavistock".

They use quite a bit of psychology in their organization, and I'm sure a bit of it could be traced back to good old Sigmund.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Pretty much every organisation uses psychological methods in order to influence others.

It is normal behaviour for such companies/organisations.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Indeed they do.

Here's a video from TED talks that I believe is complimentary to the OP video.

What can we learn from spaghetti sauce?

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I find it interesting that psychologists have been manipulating the American mind for so long - and dangerous. I did learn about this kind of thing while studying for my psychology major... a lot of this is documented.

But the real question is, what is the next generation of psychologists going to decide to social-engineer our society into? And also, famous artists - who is influencing them, or are they truly making the art themselves?
edit on 20-2-2013 by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Closed for review:

Please review the following:
IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS
MOD NOTE: Posting work written by others

and

You are responsible for your own posts.
edit on Wed Feb 20 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join