It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britains impending Energy Crisis.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Tuttle

Well for sure, we did steal that land after all.

No we didn't.

Unfortunatly it would go some ways to dispelling all this false jingoism and sentiment the UK government has about the Falklands being part of Britain because "thats what they want".

When in reality its about maintaining strategic control of there resources, our current wars are already bankrupting our society, dont need any more.

I suspect there's an element of both involved.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Yeah we did and no there is not.

We sneak thieved it off the Spanish and if it were not for the strategic implications of the place I very much doubt the UK Government would give a toss about the people living there.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by MysterX

Maybe instead of pumping billions into the zombie banks, we could have put some money into the real economy to do the things you talk about. Unfortunately the money went to private banks, to clear their toxic assets, so they would lend again, which they haven't, just swallowed it up instead.

Completely agree.

If every house, block of flats, factory and high rise office had their roof covered in affordable panels (economy of scale) we as a country could be pretty much energy self sufficient.

Since we used tax payers money to save private banks, shouldn't those banks be paying it back to the taxpayer at say 50% of operational profits, plus prevailing bank lending interest rates?

I must be too ignorant of finance to understand what must be simple concept, as nobody seems to be mentioning it..but when (if) a bank lends the public money, we have to repay the bank the capitol sum plus interest over a specified period of time..why is this not the case for the banks themselves when the public are putting up the money for the banks instead of the other way around?

edit on 21-2-2013 by MysterX because: added comment

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Scary time for me.

As a disabled man on benefits, coupled wit the Governments plan to make housing unaffordable (14% reduction in rent assistance, 14% reduction in Council Tax assistance per unused room), a rise in power costs terrifies me.

Currently my home is frigidly cold because I can only afford to run a single gas heater in the lounge. Electricity and Gas bills currently come to 62% of my available disposable income after the rent/council tax are paid, and thats before I even consider food and water.

Once the reductions in rent/ctax benefit assistance kick in, that 62% will rise to just under 80% for me. Yes I could move into a smaller 1 bedroom apartment, but I was born in this very house, and have lived here for 40+ years. Not really a pleasant option.

Very soon it will be impossible for me to keep warn or light the place. Would be cheaper if they let me have a credit-meter, but because Im disabled, they will only let me have a pre-pay meter, unless I can put down a £2000+ deposit against not being able to pay the bills on a credit meter.

People on pre-pay meters get charged more per unit. Its like a double whammy, although hopefully new legislation thats passing through parliament, to simplify tarrifs, will end that scam.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by CthulhuMythos

Its either gross negligence or something more sinister. Either demands more investigation.

Totally correct, and I don't believe that ALL of the energy company directors and politicians are totally negligent or incompitent, though I do feel they are totally corrupt and are following 'the plan' whether they are aware of it or not.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This may be a naive view of mine as I don't know a lot about this kind of thing but I had a voltage optimiser installed in my home last year and it has saved me just under 10% on my electricity consumption. If every home had this, wouldn't that equate to an overall 10% reduction in demand, counteracting the loss in supply? I know the reduction in consumption varies from property to property but I believe 10% is the average anyway. The technology is already used in big businesses. It's almost as if there is a conspiracy to 'poo-poo' this tech as well as solar etc. as there is a lot of negative and often incorrect assumptions about VO on the net. It has been proven by the companies that developed it and it has been approved by Ofgem and I have proven it works to myself by having one installed and monitored.

We all need to do something to protect ourselves and eachother and investing in renewables or coming 'off-grid' will at least give us a few more years while new technology is developed. This reduction in supply will only lead to the utilities raping us for even more of our hard earned money!!!

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Britain's credit rating downgraded from AAA to Aa1
The Government’s economic strategy has been dealt a serious blow after a leading credit ratings agency downgraded UK debt on its expectation that growth will "remain sluggish over the next few years".
www.telegraph.co.uk...
The credit rating is meaningless; the UK has arguably been in AA territory for 18+ months. In any case who is taking seriously the opinion of these same rating agencies that completely failed to spot that half the western world’s banks were functionally insolvent? Or if you enjoy bacofoil headgear, they did spot it but conspired with the evil bankers to hide it and profit accordingly

top topics

<< 1   >>

join