It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dolphins Call Each Other By Name

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

From Discovery News:

Bottlenose dolphins call out the specific names of loved ones when they become separated, a study finds. Other than humans, the dolphins are the only animals known to do this, according to the study, published in the latest Proceedings of the Royal Society B. The big difference with bottlenose dolphins is that these communications consist of whistles, not words. Earlier research found that bottlenose dolphins name themselves, with dolphins having a “signature whistle” that encodes other information. It would be somewhat like a human shouting, “Hey everybody! I’m an adult healthy male named George, and I mean you no harm!”

I always wondered if animals "named" each other. Apparently, according to this study, dolphins just might be the first animal to demonstrate naming.

The dolphins appear to assign a certain sound to each other, and will call that specific sound when the dolphin is separated or missing. While I doubt we can ever know conclusively that they are calling "names" (as we define names), its definitely a contact call of some sort.

“A dolphin emits its signature whistle to broadcast its identity and announce its presence, allowing animals to identify one another over large distances and for animals to recognize one another and to join up with each other,” King explained. “Dolphin whistles can be detected up to 20 km away (12.4 miles) depending on water depth and whistle frequency.”

Just another example of how intelligent dolphins really are. Enjoy, ATS!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Very smart creatures they are.

I've had the priviledge of being in the ocean with them and its a simply amazing experience.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

I love dolphins

I saw a video once about how the Japanese herd whole pods together and into shallow waters so they can slaughter them all. Two male dolphins were circling the pod in an attempt to protect them, they were all huddled together and bobbing in the shallow water, just sitting ducks for the Japanese

Then I read your OP and imagined those dolphins in the video I saw, pleading for their lives. Can you imagine the horrors and fear that these sentient beings must be feeling, before they are butchered in front of each other by the Japanese?

No-one should be treating them like that.

Thanks OP, S&F

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Well, how cool is that?!

I love dolphins too. I used to collect them (not the real ones. Ha! ). Very smart creatures, they are!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
S&F OP
Makes you wonder if we can discover this, and couple that with the research done to determine if the sounds are a sign of intelligent speech, could that transfer to be used on any extraterrestrial signals we may encounter in the future?

Cool stuff indeed.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I'd love to hear what name the dolphins have for US. I'm guessing it's nothing that could be repeated in polite conversation!

top topics

join