It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mt. Etna Major Eruption Now!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Clouds are already moving back over but at least they 'moved' long enough to snap a few captures.

The reports from Piedimonte and Linguaglossa - heavy ash cover.

Also report - unconfirmed - of some EQ action. Still looking for confirmation there.

She's quieting back down now.

peace

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have been reading your beautiful writing about your volcano for some time now - and always enjoy your words. I have never commented before but tonight I saw Etna explode/errupt on MSM - MSNBC to be exact.
The report said that the explosion could be seen from outer space.

Are you all right??? I'm really concerned for your safety.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

She's very probably all right, and it will be an interesting report when she tells us about this one.

posted on Mar, 6 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yes, can't wait to hear from her - but the piece on the 6 p.m. news looked beyond scary. A really violent explosion and lava flow. I'll feel better when we hear from her.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I've been digging out - also without power and more digging out. I'll tell ya the ash has been hell. I love her to death, I really do but the ash has ruined everything. My crops are all gone. Everything. Thank goodness I can replant ASAP.

Between now and the next time here's some interesting news.

TerraRealTime has posted a 'warning' for towns close to Etna - for lava, ash, etc. The warning comes from the 'volcanic' group in Catania that keeps an eye on Etna.

FYI - I don't have to worry about lava here for the moment but lava has passed basically right though my backyard before so I'll knock on wood! Petrified wood, lol!

Thank you everyone - hugs around!

peace

edit on 7-3-2013 by silo13 because: link placement

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Added note: I’m told the above pic - through beautiful - does NOT do the lava justice.

I've a treat in store - I hope for me as well as all of us! I’ve traded some rabbit for a ride to the lava line next time she blows. I can't wait. Well, maybe I can! No more ash! But - cross your fingers her next eruption doesn’t take place at 12:30-1:00 in the morning. I don’t care how many fresh rabbits I have to trade I don’t think there’s any way I’m gonna get a ride at the time of the morning!

peace

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Great! She's back! So good to know you are there. Sorry about your garden - I grow organic vegetables and understand how depressing it is to lose them. I feel like I'm on this adventure with you - thanks for sharing. Have an amazing trip to the lava flows!

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by galacticgirl

Awww, so you know how I feel. Horrible, lol. My poor wee plants all crushed and dead.

Here's another update -

Catania Today - posted a civic alert for high elevation towns (ash, lava, etc).

Also:

Catania Today - Skiing is closed/over for the year - the slopes are ruined.

peace

edit on 7-3-2013 by silo13 because: spacing

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Wow, Etna has certainly ramped up her activity in the past week or so.

That is a shame about your garden, hopefully it is early enough in the season you have time to replant. Silo, what direction are you from Etna's summit? Hopefully not to the NE--lots and lots of ash.
Be safe!

I just finished watching Boris Behncke's video of the eruption late 5 March into 6 March. Incredible!

edit on 3/7/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Incredible video but something has me perplexed.

Do you get a feel for how close/far they are from the action? I ask because where I am? The sound she makes is SO LOUD the house shakes. Honest - she makes these big throaty sounds (they're not 'booms' but I am at a loss how to explain them) anyway, she makes a LOT of LOUD noise.

I heard nothing but a little 'flow' on the video? Any ideas?

Oh - and yes - I'm North/East.

Thanks for posting the video!

peace

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

From reading his comments on his Flicker page, I believe the video was shot from Piano del Vescovo.
Looking at the map--that is really close. It does seem like the audio should be louder...

Take care.

posted on Mar, 7 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Just seen a quake not too far from you - well it looks near ish - is she a rumblin again ?
www.emsc-csem.org... - This was a 3.7

As many others continue to say - be safe and sorry to hear about your crops .

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

Yes, she is 'rumbling' and has been on and off daily. Some ash fall last night - the tremors and quakes. I've no idea if she's settling in for a nap or gearing up for something new. If nothing else she keeps us on our toes yes?
I just hope I have time to pick up a tripod before her next night eruption!

Good Sunday to you!

peace

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Well, I arrived in Riposto yesterday and the place is still quite a mess with the clean up in progress. My boat was looked after in my absence and swept clean twice as the ash is quite corrosive if left. Once again thanks for your updates and photos. Whilst I am sorry I missed the spectacle I am told that some people in the mountain villages suffered burns during the eruptions. what many of us can marvel at from a distance is indeed serious business close up.

If you are in Riposto over the next few days then do please come and say hello! I am easy to find.

Mike

Archangel

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Etna’s been grumbling all morning. Now she’s getting downright loud. I can’t see anything for the clouds - but there’s surely something going on ‘up there’ and it isn’t just a little something.
I’ll check charts and graphs while in hopes the cloud cover will move a bit...

peace

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Neptune77

You didn't miss a thing - can't you hear her? She’s welcoming you home!

As I said she's been grumbling this morning and now she's really getting loud.
As you can see it's crap weather up here - let's just hope the wind blows the clouds away so we ca get a peak.
Keep your hat on - you might get a good look yet!

peace

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

It seems that a new paroxysm is in the making. The tremor signal is showing a pronounced rise, typical for the beginning of the New SE crater paroxysms. Unfortunately, weather conditions don't currently allow visual.

Etna volcano current activity: new paroxysms from New SE crater

I'll keep looking for a visual.

Edit to Add: Here's a link to some web cam, photos, info, etc.

Mt. Etna Live

peace
edit on 16-3-2013 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Just back to boat...Yes I can hear her very clearly now - quite a loud one a few minutes ago - and the infra-red cameras at Montagnola and Nicolosi are showing hot spots which were not there earlier. Perhaps I spoke too soon!

Mike

Archangel

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Neptune77

I think I have a visual - a dome of smoke that is getting larger and taller - just beneath the cloud - will try to post a photo.

Mike

Archangel

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Here is a screen grab of the tremor building--- link .:

The webcam looks like it is a beautiful day above the clouds, and maybe some fountaining on the right?

source

Be safe, Etna neighbors.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join