It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Relevance of the Electoral College

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
With the 2000 election causing one candidate to lose the popular vote but win the presidency, is the electoral college still fairly giving us the president the majority of americans want? With a country so divided you really begin to think that because a candidate gets more votes in one state but cant get the most out of the whole country, does he deserve to be president?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   
america is not a true democracy and has its flaws. the electorate college is a buffer or barrie between the president and the citizens. their 1st mistake was theses barriers. who knows what happens above these barriers? i believe its more do with money then democracy.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So then why would the government keep it in, are they worried that they will be out of office after they change it? It would take congressional approaval but the true winner should win.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
try to keep something like this in mind. in the 2000 election bush won something along the lines of 95% of all the counties in the U.S. it just happened to be the counties he didn't win were the largest populated ones. considering that, do you see how this marjority winner versus electorate winner thing begins to make sense? plus, the guys that came up with the way we vote were, in my opinion, geniuses beyond their time. they knew even a tyarrany of the majority wasn't right so they established the electorate college to safeguard against things like that. be aware also, that 2000 wasn't the only time the popular winner lost the election. it's happend somewhere between 2 and 6 times in the past. it's a freak thing but that doesn't mean the electorate college is wrong and it also doesn't mean he who did wrong shouldn't have.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I get confused over this

in the 2000 election bush won something along the lines of 95% of all the counties in the U.S. it just happened to be the counties he didn't win were the largest populated ones

That is the reason for the electoral college. But what does it matter?

I mean, thats pretty much saying that the most of americans live in 5% of the counties that Bush lost, so who cares what most of america thinks?

I cant grasp it can someone help me?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I started a thread on eliminating the EC a month or so ago. There are some good Ideas there as to how it could be cone. There is also info on the EC itself.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by astroblade
try to keep something like this in mind. in the 2000 election bush won something along the lines of 95% of all the counties in the U.S. it just happened to be the counties he didn't win were the largest populated ones.

What a revelation. SO the least populust counties voted for Bush. If we take this route, then many counties have less then 500 people out West. The cowboys hicks are particular to Bush.

Last I knew, the people, not the land, elect the President to represent them. If we were to count counties, then we would be taking a step backwards and give more weight to landowners inan election. Do you want wealthy landowners (ranchers) to control the destiny of the entire nation? Oh...we've had that for 4 years already!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Last I knew, the people, not the land, elect the President to represent them

Those were the words I were looking for. Thanks

new topics

top topics

join