It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First patient dies in UK from SARS-like novel coronavirus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   

First patient dies in UK from SARS-like novel coronavirus

rt.com

A British man suspected to have contracted the new coronavirus from his father has died in Birmingham. Meanwhile, a new study has been published, showing that the virus, which is similar to SARS, has mutated to efficiently attack human cells.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 19-2-2013 by toocoolnc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Looks like this may be the start of something bad. I just hope not. I do wonder though wheather the virus is manufactured or a natural cause.. Interesting times we live in..

"The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent." - Bill Gates
edit on 19-2-2013 by toocoolnc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by toocoolnc

Could be the start of "something worse" ... Could be a natural mutation, or a weaponized variant.

There are worse things than this one.... IMO

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I thought the death count was up to 5....

rsoe

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   
It's something to watch, but I'm not going to panic too much until people start dying by the hundreds or thousands. Likely, if this gets anything close to serious, they'll start issuing alerts and quarantining and doing all sorts of stuff.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

No matter what happens, panic is never useful. It is good to have an escape plan if you're in an urban area in the event of a dangerous outbreak, or rapidly spreading infection, especially if it is one that is lethal. There may be no vaccinations, or effective treatments, and in that case containment is going to be a top priority. You don't want to find out what that means... Stay alert, and make a move as soon as you feel you need to.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I think that if a weaponized virus is ever intentionally released, it will be something that will have a fairly long incubation/dormant period, so that it is spread widely before the dying even starts to take place.

All of a sudden, people start dying in droves and you can run, you can hide, break off all contact... but it won't do a bit of good, because you already have it!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
I think that if a weaponized virus is ever intentionally released, it will be something that will have a fairly long incubation/dormant period, so that it is spread widely before the dying even starts to take place.

All of a sudden, people start dying in droves and you can run, you can hide, break off all contact... but it won't do a bit of good, because you already have it!

Bio-terrorists armed with a weaponized virus, one that is 100% fatal, airborne, and spread by contact, can live on untreated surfaces for hours, 2-3 days before an infected person can spread it to others, 7-10 days before the onset of the most severe symptoms, then hours or less to death... No vaccines, no effective treatments

100 suicide terrorists that would infect themselves with this, and then spread that infection among targeted populations could wipe out millions of us.... And no one may know, or suspect that it was an attack, and when they do, who is going to be blamed?

Some will be prepared, others unfortunately will not.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
When reading this the first thing I thought of was a show im currently watching in the UK called 'Utopia' which I highly recommend people watch. WATCH HERE

I dont want too give too much away but the idea of a weaponized virus is a key feature to the show. Although many many subjects spoken about on ATS are involved in the plot.

I agree with what is being said above, im not worried yet but will be keeping a keen eye out in the future!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
As far as I can tell from the media, those that have died from it already have serious underlying health issues.

I can't see it killing more than the annual flu virus (if it starts jumping person to person easily).......but one never knows.
edit on 20/2/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HTUKno1

IF it happens, you don't want to find yourself trapped in an urban environment, or heavily populated area where the infection is spreading and the government agencies including the DoD are activating containment and/or decontamination protocols.

No way out... alive. Infected or not.

IMO

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

"The world today has 6.8 billion people... that's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on new vaccines, health care, reproductive health services, we could lower that by perhaps 10 or 15 percent." - Bill Gates

And still people just want to believe these people are cool.

Man o man I hope these people don't start waking up again.

SNF OP ! This could be blown any where on the winds.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
www.imdb.com...

The link is for a TV show being shown in the UK called Utopia, concerning a rogue bio-technology corporation who has infiltrated the British government. They engineer a virus then manufacture a vaccine to save everyone. The vaccine is designed to sterilise the entire population.

Weird.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ausername

Haha well I live in the middle of nowhere not too far from the coast. My house would also be prime for a stronghold against zombies

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ausername

Originally posted by butcherguy

Bio-terrorists armed with a weaponized virus, one that is 100% fatal, airborne, and spread by contact, can live on untreated surfaces for hours, 2-3 days before an infected person can spread it to others, 7-10 days before the onset of the most severe symptoms, then hours or less to death... No vaccines, no effective treatments

100 suicide terrorists that would infect themselves with this, and then spread that infection among targeted populations could wipe out millions of us.... And no one may know, or suspect that it was an attack, and when they do, who is going to be blamed?

Some will be prepared, others unfortunately will not.

Hope is diminishing.

top topics

join