Lockheed Skunk Works - 100MW Fusion Reactor Possible

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
The video is of a press conference.

Obviously a press conference by The Skunk Works is a rare event.

Published on Feb 11, 2013

Problem: Energy access & climate change Solution: A 100MW compact fusion reactor that runs on plentiful and cheap deuterium and tritium (isotopes of hydrogen).

Breakthrough technology: Charles Chase and his team at Lockheed have developed a high beta configuration, which allows a compact reactor design and speedier development timeline (5 years instead of 30)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Good, because Frances ITER reactor will theoreticaly produce 500 MW but wont be built until 2030 or there abouts.

It will just be interesting to see how much they charge us for Fusion.
edit on 19-2-2013 by Tuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by LazyGuy

They have probably had this since the 1950`s, and probably figure now is a good time to save the world?

When they release technology to the public like this, it really gets me thinking what was the motivation to inform the public. I'm still waiting for Thorium reactors to become reality any reactor that can burn nuclear waste like a thorium reactor can, is something to look forward to.
edit on 19-2-2013 by enament because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It is interesting how tech follows SciFi.

The TV show 'Lost In Space' produced in the 60s had a flying saucer that was fueled by deuterium.

I do not believe we will see this, it will be too dangerous, too expensive or too something. A reactor such as this could change the world of warfare when aircraft may have nearly unlimited range and duration. It could also change space flight dramatically.

P

ETA. It also opens the way for craft that can operate underwater and in the air. That would lead to a whole new era of military hardware.
edit on 19/2/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LazyGuy

No.
The video is one in a series of presentations run by Google in its "solve for x" series.

Much like the more famous TED presentations.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

Originally posted by LazyGuy

No.
The video is one in a series of presentations run by Google in its "solve for x" series.

Much like the more famous TED presentations.

Well, it looks like a press conference.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:26 PM
link   
it SHOULD change space flight forever.
it should be the answer to our problems forever. fusion is the key.

this is exciting.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by LazyGuy

They have probably had this since the 1950`s, and probably figure now is a good time to save the world?

When they release technology to the public like this, it really gets me thinking what was the motivation to inform the public. I'm still waiting for Thorium reactors to become reality any reactor that can burn nuclear waste like a thorium reactor can, is something to look forward to.

yes on thorium. you have seen what i see, u2u me if you wanna chat (:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Niiiiice one Skunkworks!
I probably don't agree with Lockheed's agenda, but we NEED this kind of technology to be developed, there's no way around it.
Thanks for bringing this up mate!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
These reactors will be ran and operated by BP, SHELL, CONACO-PHILLIPS, COMED, and all the other oil&power companies, and they will charge more for our utilities than we pay now, because they will say its "future tech".

No biggie, same status quo

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Wonder how long they've been sitting on the tech for ?
Makes you wonder why they are 'releasing' it now.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Its interesting when you hear about this stuff.

What if they only release stuff like this to persuade others, not to bother experimenting with fusion energy. LOL

what if this is a decoy and BS.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by crackerjack

They have had this technology since the 50's, just did not seem practical at the time on account of the race to see who can make the most nuclear bombs.

Britain has wound up with the largest stockpile of Plutonium for a reason lol.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by enament
reply to post by LazyGuy

Spot on IMO.
I think the pressure of many moving to renewable sources, finally has their attention.
Maybe Lockheed got the nod from Big Oil to throw us a scrap they can control
and price fix. Business as usual.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, as has happened so often I saw no tech, just a lot of happy words about the design and what it will accomplish. I, for one, would be at least a little enthusiastic if more physical details and some actual test results had been presented. Or if the scope of the presentation or time limit prevented such detail, links could have been provided if anything beyond 'the design' exists.

As others have stated I think this will be yet another in the long line of Did Not Appear projects, despite the backing of Skunkworks. It is very overly optimistic to expect to be able to produce a working fusion power plant in just a few years.

O well, I'll keep watch in the physics forums for any news about this, such as release of any real data.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Skunk Works stoled this idea from a researcher in Madison Wisconsin, they proposed this back in the early 80's and the elment that would work the best is called H3, (Helium3) which is rare on earth but not on the moon, the researchers in Madison Wisconsin came up with this idea and proceded to get funding to go to the moon. According to the Researchers one cargo bay of moon rocks would power New York city for 10 years with 1/100 of waste compaire to todays waste.

This went all down when the Shuttle blew up in the 80's, so why not use Fusion, why is it taking so long, there already is a plan in place to make these reactors that would replace the current fision reactors and from what I understand the cost is 1/10 of building a new current reactor with a saving to everyone.

How do I know this, the researcher is a family member, and Skunk works are theifs.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   
soooo

do they have a working reactor or not?

they show a pic inside their reactor, showing plasma and how its contained by their magnetic coils etc

but then they show a slide with timescales on it, detailing what i guess is required research into materials, plasma physics and containment physics etc

they also detail a 2017 time frame for a prototype, so where did the pics of the inside of the reactor come from? is the prototype not the 2 metre long cylinder behind the 4 boffins in the pic?

confused

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Well the Current Mars rover is powered by a Nuclear Battery...so where did that technology come from?

Im sure they can make millions of nuclear batteries, that can power your home for a year, then do an exchange program for a new one every year....cost maybe $500 or less per year....simple.

Didnt Lockheed Skunkworks director tell us they already travel to the stars?
Dont forget the thinking," what they tell us, they have already had for years"...(eg Mars rover nuclear battery??), and is no longer secret.

Its what they Dont tell us, that we would like to know, thankyou.......eg The Triangles, secret spaceships ect!!!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Exactly they could easily use this to power towns, but they couldnt exactly charge us an hourly rate for a near infinite resource.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

"solve for x"

This is the old Einstein mission with a new dress.

"If science, like art, is to perform its mission totally and fully, its achievements must enter not only superficially but with their inner meaning: into the consciousness of people" Einstein 1939 "world of Tomorrow" "world fair".

"Google Solve For X Targets Tech's 'Moonshot' Challenges"

"Solve for X" has been likened to TED talks[1][6] since both projects host seminars by innovators, which can be viewed by others "vicariously""

Key word "vicariously" Translated, the "X people" don't have the resources to truly understand fusion technology however Google is giving them a "vicarius" experience.

Da Vinci did similar work during the renaissance that was not a cheap carnival ride, so that brings up the question:

Did Lockheed contact Google for disclosure purposes?, or is Google just selling tickets to a wooden horse carousel?

Love to see ATS link to more of these if the answer is the former.

edit on 21-2-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join