It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man with down syndrome dies while handcuffed by police.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

disparity of force, alright see I knew there would be some legal and grammatically correct way of wording it. Thanks for that response. I would say that makes sense, I could relate to those examples as just causes for carrying and using a firearm for self defense.

I would say after thinking it over you are right, that it needs to be looked into but that as of now the circumstance does seem pretty sketchy. Personally, I wouldn't want a drunk guy attacking or showing signs of attack towards me, while he was using a broom stick .. Hmmm, well what's done is done. I will always wish a tazer could have been used, regardless of that I suppose now after that response and thinking about it i'll have to assert myself as unpolarized on that event now.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by seabag

We all heard the case where the Phoenix police raided the Veteran's house who got his AR-15 out when his wife saw a shadow (swat) go by the window. It was early morning but he was in bed having worked the night shift I believe. He was holding the rifle with safety on when they broke in and did not attempt to fire on the police who then shot at him about 90x hitting him < 20 but he did not die immediately. Paramedics were called but the police would not let them treat the man who then bled out on the scene. You can probably google it but there should also be a thread about it on ATS. There are other cases....but often the paramedics never get called as the police apparently think that every physical complaint by someone in their custody is frivolous.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

We all heard the case where the Phoenix police raided the Veteran's house who got his AR-15 out when his wife saw a shadow (swat) go by the window. It was early morning but he was in bed having worked the night shift I believe. He was holding the rifle with safety on when they broke in and did not attempt to fire on the police who then shot at him about 90x hitting him < 20

As sad as this is, you have to look at it objectively. What in the hell were the police doing creeping around his house? Obviously they had a warrant and the guy was considered armed and dangerous if SWAT was there. Also, the dude was holding a gun. If it was my job to kick that door in and the first thing I saw was the armed and dangerous suspect holding a rifle I’d have shot him too!

but he did not die immediately. Paramedics were called but the police would not let them treat the man who then bled out on the scene. You can probably google it but there should also be a thread about it on ATS. There are other cases....but often the paramedics never get called as the police apparently think that every physical complaint by someone in their custody is frivolous.

I don’t know what the circumstances were and neither do you. Was the guy alive and still armed? If so, I wouldn’t let the paramedics enter either. You have to secure a scene and take control in those situations. I wouldn’t leave anything to chance and risk someone else getting hurt.

I think we’d both agree about whether the cops did the right thing or not if we had all the facts…but we weren’t there and we don’t know. In that case, I give the benefit of the doubt to the police. Police that do the wrong thing need to be punished but we owe it to them to give them the benefit of the doubt. We’re the ones that put them in these situations so we shouldn’t play armchair quarterback and vilify them without the facts.

Reminds me of a movie scene…

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by blackthorne

Well, when you cherry pick outrageous incidents, it looks awful bad. In this case, the dude couldn’t catch his breath and died.

Positional asphyxia is typically the result of an intense struggle and often involves a person who is handcuffed and lying on their stomach after the struggle. Kirkham said people often panic and can't catch their breath. People with larger stomachs are particularly vulnerable, he said, because their bellies will push into their sternums, making breathing even more difficult.
OP’s Source

It sounds like he had a big belly and couldn’t catch his breath after being cuffed and made to lay face down. Maybe if he didn’t act like a jackass and force the theatre employees to call the cops to have him removed (he refused to leave) then he wouldn’t have been handcuffed and made to lay down.

It appears to be an accident in this case! There are many cases of police brutality but this isn’t one of them!

I'm not saying that we don't have a police problem in this country but this incident doesn't seem to fit the bill IMO.

Overweight? all the more reason not to implement the face down position, not to mention the victim was Down's syndrome. It's no accident, at least twenty people in the US have died in this way not including the homeless, (skinny) man who died not so long ago, and there is now a choice to not use that practice in some Jurisdictions.
They knew who they were dealing with, and should have sought medical advice on the disabilty. As for cherrypicking, it's like the OP says, it's hard to watch and hear about this day in day out, there is no much of it going on, and this is at least the second incident involving a person with a disability and police, or in this latter case a thug in uniform.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by seabag

We all heard the case where the Phoenix police raided the Veteran's house who got his AR-15 out when his wife saw a shadow (swat) go by the window. It was early morning but he was in bed having worked the night shift I believe. He was holding the rifle with safety on when they broke in and did not attempt to fire on the police who then shot at him about 90x hitting him < 20 but he did not die immediately. Paramedics were called but the police would not let them treat the man who then bled out on the scene. You can probably google it but there should also be a thread about it on ATS. There are other cases....but often the paramedics never get called as the police apparently think that every physical complaint by someone in their custody is frivolous.

This is your story complete with updates, Smurfy.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Well, you have cops like this one:

www.youtube.com...

That threaten to murder people they stopped FOR NO REASON.

Cops have their own rules, it is sad.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
The 3 little pigs were off duty deputies moonlighting as mall security.

The grand jury just concluded that Down syndrome was the cause of death, declined to bring charges and the three deputies are back on the job.

Even though his larynx was crushed and "The manner of death was determined to be homicide," said Bruce Goldfarb, assistant to the chief ME.

Petition just Reached over 300,000 signatures
www.change.org...

abcnews.go.com...

rt.com...
edit on 9/1/2013 by ghoulardi because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/1/2013 by ghoulardi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackthorne
i was a military police man for the navy for four years at concord naval weapons station in concord, california. 91-95. i had my training at lackland a.f.b. in texas. i say this because i am sick and tired of hearing stories such as this occurring more and more.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

what is happening to the police in this country? they shoot two women and a caucasion man while looking for that former cop last week. they looked nothing like him! they killed that homeless guy in southern california who had mental problems. up near where i live, a decade ago they shot a man who was in his own driveway, drunk, yelling (he was angry) while he was holding a broom. they said he was wielding like he was a marttial arts master. his wife said that he has no training at all. she was also a nurse and they did not let her aid him.
in another incident close to where i live, they shot a teen who had a small knife a 2 inch blade. couldn't they have used their pr-24's to knock it out of his hand? why are they going to the gun so damn quick?

why is it happening?? because like every country, a high percentage of police officers are literally "thugs" and if the police force didn't take them in. they would in most cases end up in prison themselves at the very least...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join