It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hummingbirds. Check out this video!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
At the risk of sounding like a sissy, I think hummingbirds are wonderful.
If you don't have time to watch it all, skip to the 3:00 mark. Very cool footage.

This video is pretty good too:

One more:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Such amazing birds!

I almost got hit in the nose by one TWICE a couple summers ago. Just fly right past my face, then came back and did it again. Scared me because I was not expecting that.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Cool videos! I love hummingbirds. We used to have several feeders around our house. I would put my hand on the feeder at feeding time and they would stand on my fingers.
Here are a few (bad) pictures:

edit on 2/19/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

WOW!

Awesome!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I remember you posting those before. I think you even identified the one's in my photos.
I've never been able to attract that many. but man, pound for pound (or milligram for milligram) they HAVE to be the feistiest birds I've ever seen. Love the way they dive-bomb each other going after the nectar.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

At the risk of sounding like a sissy,

I fixed your OP for you:

I've always found nature and evolution a worthy subject, so I wanted to share......

Don't worry about what the weak minded think, just keep on presenting this type of material, and you'll have brought more to this site than most.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

youre luckey ive only ever seen one so far

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
spacedoubt, we learned a lot about them, even the different sounds they made. It's really fun!

Any of you in the US can probably attract hummingbirds during their migration (I don't have info about international migration). Just read up a little and put out some feeders this summer and then enjoy the show. It's a fun hobby. In fact, I think I may do it again this summer. We have some plants that attract them, but only a few. It's so cool to see them swarming around. At one point, we were making a gallon a day!

Hummungbird Habitat Maps

Make your own nectar and don't use dyes or coloring. It's EASY! Just boil four parts water and add 1 part sugar and let it cool.

Nectar Recipe

1 cup Pure Cane White Granulated Sugar.
4 cups hot boiling water

Boil more than four (4) cups of water on the stove top. When you use more than four (4) cups of water, you can adjust to the loss of water from steam. Carefully measure out four (4) cups of boiling water into a large bowl. Add one (1) cup of pure cane white granulated sugar. Mix the pure cane white granulated sugar and water together until all of the sugar is dissolved. Carefully place the mixture into the refrigerator to cool, usually overnight. When mixture is cold, take the mixture out of the refrigerator. You now have a bowl of hummingbird food.

Very carefully, take apart your hummingbird feeder, following the manufactures instructions. Clean the hummingbird feeder with soap and water making sure your hummingbird feeder is clean and free from any debris and/or mold. Carefully pour the hummingbird nectar into the tank of the hummingbird feeder. Don't spill the hummingbird food or you will have an ant invasion in your house, and if you do, clean it up right away with soap and water. Reassemble the hummingbird feeder according to the manufactures instructions.

edit on 2/20/2013 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ColeYounger

This was really cool and amazing. Thank you for sharing!

join