It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lingweenie

Nah, this is just a wide band radio receiver. Dark energy doesn't interact much with matter, that's why they call it dark.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lingweenie
I'm not entirely sure how real this dark matter/energy is, I'm just going by what I have heard.
The observations for dark matter and dark energy are quite real. A not so good analogy would be walking into the forest of Tunguska in 1908 and seeing some green trees lying on their side...with broken tree trunks.

You know that something must have pushed them over, even though you never saw what did it.

Likewise with dark matter and dark energy, we see their effects even though we don't know their cause. Some physicist patented a gizmo that's supposed to extract vacuum energy which is what some people think dark energy is, but I'm pretty sure it won't work. There is energy in the vacuum but that doesn't necessarily mean it can be extracted. And the gadget in the OP has nothing to do with dark energy or vacuum energy...it's more like stray radio signals, cell phone signals, and "leakage" from power lines.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by AldrinAlden

sounds like the eqivenlent to the elisive perpetual motion machine

what about the electro magnet generator anyone can build; small scale plans available on the internet. a small example of how it works it you spin a CD on a pivot point with a few magnets mounted on the edge. You mount other magnets on a fixed point and bring them together. The cd starts spinning and will keep spinning, if you add a coil then you have a generator. On a BIG scale this could be cost effictive to make electricity.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by AldrinAlden

German student creates electromagnetic harvester that gathers free electricity from thin air

www.extrem etech.com

A German student has built an electromagnetic harvester that recharges an AA battery by soaking up ambient, environmental radiation. These harvesters can gather free electricity from just about anything, including overhead power lines, coffee machines, refrigerators, or even the emissions from your WiFi router or smartphone.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Nothing new here. How do you think your radio picks up signals? or your WiFi?

All you need is a wire and a capacitor.. leave it for a while and check with a voltmeter.

What's not being mentioned is that amount of power produced is so minute it's useless.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
this kind of thing will play havoc with wireless communications if it is ever able to draw a significant amount of power... but I doubt it will be. slowly charging a battery is one thing but If we could power devices in realtime from EM fields it would be being done already. we'd also be having an effect on our own brains from being in such fields.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 09:49 AM
link   
So... why can't a tesla coil be ran in reverse?

Maybe tesla's old pictures didnt actually show the coils emmitting power

maybe that power was being drawn into the coil, to be stored in a battery

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Thane Heins , of Ottawa , Canada, invented a generator which accelerates the motor when the motor is placed on load, and the University of Ottawa was so impressed with his work that they donated free lab space
for him to continue his research. When he was on the verge of creating an electric bicycle with infinite range, his supporters at the U of O received threats and his project was tampered with just before his lab was shut down.

you can see one of his initial tests on video here:

OTTAWA UNIVERSITY BIONYX ReGenX Electric Bike Test :

There can be no doubt that alternative power technologies are being suppressed. Despite this, Heins
is close to bringing the technology to commercial production with applications for existing electric
vehicles.

edit on 22-2-2013 by YouAreHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2013 by YouAreHere because: Add title to video link, try to repair video embed with short URL

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Interesting, but nothing new. As Westinghouse and Rockefeller said to Tesla...where do we mount the Meters?

For 20 + years there have been many current affairs TV programs sensationalizing the "Problems" of electromagnetic radiation from High tension power lines etc.
To back up the stories claims, there is usually someone standing under these lines at night with a fluro tube, and the tube lights up automatically without a direct power connection........Just the ominous buzzing of the wires.
The same power transmission as this student has found.
This has been know for ages, there have been appliances invented without plugs, that just use the electromagnetic waves from the wires in a house.
I wonder what this is doing to modern people's brains tho?.....all these electrical/radiation/mircowaves surrounding us in the atmosphere.....

This is a concern of mine as well, all that uh, extra stuff floating around everywhere. Perhaps the new invention could have multiple uses, two of which being the collection of power for use, as well as the absorption of all the extra crud radiating out of everywhere...

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by cartesia
this kind of thing will play havoc with wireless communications if it is ever able to draw a significant amount of power... but I doubt it will be. slowly charging a battery is one thing but If we could power devices in realtime from EM fields it would be being done already. we'd also be having an effect on our own brains from being in such fields.

Excuse me if I misunderstood, but, it appears as if you believe that our brains WOULD be effected IF we were to place ourselves within an EM field during the "powering of devices in realtime" I believe you said...

But aren't our brains being affected almost constantly from EM fields that come out of our computers, smartphones, wall outlets, televisions, toasters and even the very wires that run through our homes and other buildings equipped with electricity?

I wonder... How close to an electrical outlet would you have to be in order to be in its EM field? I have a 6 outlet power strip anchored to the wall about a foot and a half from the top left corner of my bed...and of course my phone is usually sitting about the same distance from the same side of the bed, charging all night while I sleep. And I wonder, how close is too close? Maybe I can build a miniature farraday cage to put it into? Would that help? Or will that stop me from getting calls and texts? Will the texts come after I remove it from the cage? And will missed calls show up too? I notice when I have my phone powered off, I will sometimes have multiple texts arrive when I turn it back on, all with the exact same timestamp. But missed calls do not show up. If they leave a voicemail, that, however, will show up...

posted on Feb, 26 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreHere
Thane Heins , of Ottawa , Canada, invented a generator which accelerates the motor when the motor is placed on load, and the University of Ottawa was so impressed with his work that they donated free lab space
for him to continue his research. When he was on the verge of creating an electric bicycle with infinite range, his supporters at the U of O received threats and his project was tampered with just before his lab was shut down.

you can see one of his initial tests on video here:

OTTAWA UNIVERSITY BIONYX ReGenX Electric Bike Test :
www.youtube.com...

There can be no doubt that alternative power technologies are being suppressed. Despite this, Heins
is close to bringing the technology to commercial production with applications for existing electric
vehicles.

edit on 22-2-2013 by YouAreHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-2-2013 by YouAreHere because: Add title to video link, try to repair video embed with short URL

for some reason the video link was dead I am trying to fix it

try here

www.youtube.com...
edit on 26-2-2013 by YouAreHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Cant seem to find any updates on this

Must be my bad googling..

posted on Apr, 24 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AldrinAlden

there was a lawsuit about something like this some years ago where (i believe) farmers were using a simple conductive metal rod on their property to harness the wasted electricity near those huge metal powerlines. they lost the case in court.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join