It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worse than Gangnam Style.....am i getting old?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I must be.

Last night my kids mentioned the latest "absolutely cool" dance craze that was sweeping the net. "Everyone is doing it" apparently.

So they presented me with this video, and tried to show me others like it too.....however i had already had the soul sucked out of me after seeing 30 seconds of the video, then noticing it had over 14 million views!

I just don't get it. 14 million views of the most talentless crap i have ever seen. Even that gangnam style had a tune to it and some kind of dance co-ordination. Can't believe i even just complimented gangnam style!

I asked my kids in all seriousness, "What is so great about that? People just do stupid random movements in no particular set way to crappy music!" There reply was that "It's just so cool".

Thing is, my kids both play instruments and sing themselves, so they know what it takes to get good at a musical talent. They also know that some amazing artists who have worked really hard to get to a high level of talent won't see more than a few hundred views on YouTube.

I think this annoyed me more than the video itself.

To me, this is the ultimate dumbing down of societies youth (and some adults it would appear). I appreciate that not all dance crazes or music genres appeal to everyone, but this is just plain pathetic.

Sad, very sad.

With that said, at the old age of 40, i will go and find something worth listening to.

CX.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Absolutely no redeeming value is what you thought?
And you're right.

However imagine putting advertising on that video and getting a 1% click thru rate on that 14 million.
If you could manage 1 dollar a click. 140K.

Now that has some value.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I can't say more other then i agree with you alot.
That gangnam style video was retarded and will take iq points off you just for watching it.

It is no surprise to me this video got 14 million views (not clicking,I need my brain cells)
I don't think it is because we are getting older...i think its because we were raised listening to people with TALENT!!

Jimi Hendrix,Led Zepplin,Stevie Ray Vaughn and the list goes on and on.
I puke in my mouth a bit at the absolute garbage that is out there from people with less then a thimble full of talent who can't play an instrument to save their lives.

When I see videos like have been mentioned....I wish someone would just blow the damn planet up,we are devolving,not evolving.
If we are evolving,then things are really getting stupid.

Sigh....thanks for letting me rant with you and good for you for getting them playing instruments.....keep hope alive!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Funny! One of my grown daughters is fascinated with this dance (if you can even call it a dance). After she showed my several of the "best" videos I explained to her that most of it looked like a mixture of the PeeWee Herman dance and the dance they helped poor dead Bernie do on Weekend At Bernie's, with some unnecessary humping thrown in for good measure. Makes the dancing on the Gangnam Style video look like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire doesn't it?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Im younger and found the gangham style to be SAD what total rubbish people are sold. And they love it, they love absolute rubbish. And its interesting to see how easily the music industry is hijacked by so many utter talentless prats. So yeah nothing to do with age on this, its just a very unattractive man, who cant sing, entertaining the masses, with his techno jig.

And I hope his fans jump off a cliff pretty fast and leave us who appreciate real music alone. Because they are ruining everything and have no clue

If you want my real opinion I think that the video which I watched breifly, has very clear brainwashing methods in in, its very.... how can I say.......... tacky and ugly. Its mind programming at its best.

I can elaborate if you want. Infact I wont elaborate but you need to watch it to see the subtle ways they just grab peoples minds and I will tell you this much " it aint pretty"

Most singers have to grab peoples minds and they do this in many ways. In this generation they do it abit more through the medium of video. The videos cannot be normal or ordinary to help the artist succeed .

edit on 19-2-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I think the Harlem Shake meme is awesome...

I want to make one with cats, thus fusing LOL cats with Harlem Shake. But I know the task will be painstaking.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
These type of comments were the same ones made by the older generation when The Beatles first started.

It is just part of the cycle!

Get over it!

P

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by littled16
reply to post by CX

I explained to her that most of it looked like a mixture of the PeeWee Herman dance and the dance they helped poor dead Bernie do on Weekend At Bernie's, with some unnecessary humping thrown in for good measure. Makes the dancing on the Gangnam Style video look like Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire doesn't it?

Good thing he posted the video before your description!!

All we listen to is Classic Rock or older........
Not much of this new stuff even registers as Music to us.
It's just racket to our ears.....

CX

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bybyots

I want to make one with cats, thus fusing LOL cats with Harlem Shake. But I know the task will be painstaking.

Not half as painstaking as watching those two vids.

I weep for the future.

CX.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
you`re right about dumbing down, this shows a complete lack of creativity and imagination
but on the bright side, people with Tourette syndrome and epileptics will finally get to look cool and have their 15 minutes of fame.

CX

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
These type of comments were the same ones made by the older generation when The Beatles first started.

It is just part of the cycle!

Get over it!

P

Theres no getting over total lack of talent.

Even The Beatles had some talent.

CX.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

I watched some clips of children/well teens watching gangham style and their reactions were not normal. They were seeing things in it that arent there
This is how I know its a mind control video, used for brainwash.

Id even say watch the video for yourself and you will notice afterwards you are altered.

What I mean is take for example this , a few teens watched the video, looked kinda bored at some points, amused at others, entertained at others , then depressed at other points.

Then after watching this they would say its " mind blowing".

Folk this is serious stuff.... that they can do this to minds.
edit on 19-2-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Explanation: Don't make me link its "Friday" by Rebecca Black ok!

Furthermore letting the kids get away with saying its 'Cool' without qualifying the 'whys' is uncool.

Interrogate them further and find out whether it is the social aspect of partaking in a fad that makes it 'cool' or whether they can actually detail the reasons behind the style of dance moves and how that indeed does move them.

Otherwise its a stupid trap and they just want you to try it and look stupid so they can have some fantasy that they 'punk'd' their parents.

Personal Disclosure: Yes ... it IS that petty and perverted. :shk:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
www.youtube.com... gangham style in opera for the real older lol

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
www.youtube.com... gangham style in opera for the real older lol

LMFAO

That was awesome!!!!!!!

Im actually a fan of Ganggum style, very catchy tune and the clip is funny as hell.
If youve ever been in a club when the song comes on its great, everyone gets up and basically makes a massive tool of themselves LOL.

That Harlem thing though

WTF did I just watch?

Thats not a dance thats just a bunch of idiots flopping around sort of to a beat.
Everyone can relax, your not getting old its just really sh!te
edit on 19/2/2013 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

I honestly think that you are missing out on grokking an important and multi-faceted social phenomenon, here.

How about this one?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am personally in love with this - as it's pure comedy. Don't tell anyone, but I've been using these videos to torment DontTreadOnMe for days now... it's glorious.

CX

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

I am personally in love with this - as it's pure comedy. Don't tell anyone, but I've been using these videos to torment DontTreadOnMe for days now... it's glorious.

That is pure evil Heff

CX.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I like gangham style, it cracks me up.

Now the Harlem shake? Absolutely hilarious and I can't wait to give it a try!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
America used to be a great country. We produced just about everything, including some of the most talented artists, intelligent scientists, and revolutionary thinkers that the world has ever seen. Now, we produce stuff like this stupid little dance video. Future generations of America will likely tip the scales at over 300 pounds and simply make a series of grunting sounds to one another to communicate their needs such as eating and mating.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join