It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireball spotted at the last hour in the skies of southern Italy

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by Rezlooper

This is the first time you've settled one of these threads by pointing out the true source of a photo.

No it isn't.
In fact this spectacular image is often recycled.

I made a mistake in the post there. Was supposed to say that it isn't the first time.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

In Russia, was it not a bolide? Due to it exploding?
A bolide is a large meteor. Pretty much just another name for a fireball.

Is there an increase in the amount of bolide type asteroids being observed?
Not that I am aware of. As astutely pointed out by a poster above, not that those who are very interested in them seem to be aware of.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
According to the below website, this image was taken tonight of the fireball in the town of Taormina, Sicily.

Unfortunately the website is in Italian

La foto del bolide che ha solcato i cieli del sud Italia

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by citizenoftheworld

It translated for me and under the article it says..

UPDATE: Based on a series of surveys of our editors we could actually find out how this image does not refer to these hours fireball over the skies of southern Italy but is an old photograph taken in South America. We therefore apologize to our readers for this misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Another recycled image.
www.b92.net...
www.examiner.com...

Just a couple examples of it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

It translated for me and under the article it says..

UPDATE: Based on a series of surveys of our editors we could actually find out how this image does not refer to these hours fireball over the skies of southern Italy but is an old photograph taken in South America. We therefore apologize to our readers for this misunderstanding.

you are right indeed, I did not read the update part at the end. Sorry!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
The "near earth objects" on the NASA site seem to be listed in pairs, and it seems if 2 "biggies" head in a direction a gaggle of "minis" follow

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by crickets
The "near earth objects" on the NASA site seem to be listed in pairs, and it seems if 2 "biggies" head in a direction a gaggle of "minis" follow

Sorry, don't see it.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/19/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by ibiubu
reply to post by Phage

I realize that there are thousands of fireballs everyday. In Russia, was it not a bolide? Due to it exploding? I heard it described as a chondritic meteorite, but not sure. In Southern Wisconsin about three years ago a bolide came screaming through and landed in southern MN. All of the older people here had never seen or heard anything like it. Is there an increase in the amount of bolide type asteroids being observed?

There are not thousands of fireballs everyday. There may be meteors flashing across the upper levels of the atmosphere where they burn up, but fireballs are very rare, regardless of what these guys on here will tell you. I'm 41 years old and I have yet to see an actual fireball. I saw a small fireball/shooting star on Halloween 2012 in the north sky falling in a direction that appeared to go straight down. It lasted a few seconds but left very little of a tail. What I saw was not a fireball in terms of what we are seeing on these videos. And, yeah, there has always been fireballs but not on this level.

Check out this from the meteor reporting sight the American Meteor Society on how much the reported sightings have increased over the past few years. Already 50 days into 2013 and there have been 440 different events. At that rate, we will have over 3,000 reports this year.

588 events in 2007

726 events in 2008

694 events in 2009

And then the reports begin to rise in 2010

951 events in 2010

And really begins to rise in 2011

1628 events in 2011

2220 events in 2012

430 events already in 2013

The big jump happened after 2010, which fits with my theory about methane levels rising in the Arctic in August of 2010. Methane levels are rising up to the mesosphere, where meteors normally burn up, and in such an amount that we don't even know for sure because we don't detect methane levels that high. Could we have damaged the atmosphere and now these meteors are entering deeper into the atmosphere before burning up?

The better reporting of meteors is a BS claim. Our populations haven't drastically increased in the last few years so that there are more eyes watching the skies. And of course after the Russian thing, people will now pay attention but that doesn't account for the drastic increase in reports in the last few years before this explosion.

Here is a thread on this theory

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'd like to hear other theories, besides the asteroid field, that makes as much sense. IAlso, I'm not buying the claim that fireballs are common and they aren't on the rise. I'd rather hear that we're caught up in the tail of Planet X
or we're under a UFO invasion! Just don't play everyone for fools and say that it's common and "There's nothing to see here, move along please!!!!"

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The better reporting of meteors is a BS claim. Our populations haven't drastically increased in the last few years so that there are more eyes watching the skies.

How long has the AMS been collecting reports from the general public? Wow. No fireballs at all in 2004 imagine that! You don't suppose it's an educational process do you? As more people learn about the website don't you think there may be more reports to it?

Do you think that's the only database out there?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

No big deal, glad to help. It may have just added that update when I clicked it or just prior because I didn't see it when this thread first started.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I was the first to see these! not even 10 min after the asteroid passed!

Nobody believes me

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

I said thousands per day based on what the American Meteor Society has on their page. I'm guessing that it's an estimate and many, of course, are not observed nor reported. They do not have any reference or factual data to support their claim. So, they may be a group of like minded conspiracy theorists.

Personally, I wonder if the activity/events are increasing.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

The American Meteor Society reported...

2012 - 2,219 fireballs detected
2011 - 1,628 fireballs detected
2010 - 951 fireballs detected
2009 - 694 fireballs detected
2008 - 726 fireballs detected
2007 - 588 fireballs detected
2006 - 517 fireballs detected
2005 - 463 fireballs detected
[link to www.space.com]

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

How would these numbers corelate to the increasing prevalance of mobile phones with good quality cameras, I wonder?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by squarehead666
reply to post by purplemer

How would these numbers corelate to the increasing prevalance of mobile phones with good quality cameras, I wonder?

Reports are based on individual events that are sighted regardless of whether they are recorded or not. A fireball may streak across sky and no one records it, but as long as the witnesses report to the sight, it becomes an event.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Ahh.....Not entirely definirive then, huh?

More or less meaningless in fact.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

I will agree that there is now an increased awareness because the Russian meteor was a one in a lifetime event. Or so they say 1 in 100.000.000 well we hit that 1... Needless to say it would be the amount of meteors that have been seen in a short amount of time. (OT: Same deal with all the threads and school shootings, nobody really cared until Sandy Hook it seems) Disscusion's on this site does create awareness but does not provide us with the why the close frequency with all these meteor sightings.

I will say this. Meteorologist have been very keen on telling the civillians when to look at the heavens for a light show. Not so much with these occurances if not freak at best with the meteors we've seen as of late.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The better reporting of meteors is a BS claim. Our populations haven't drastically increased in the last few years so that there are more eyes watching the skies.

How long has the AMS been collecting reports from the general public? Wow. No fireballs at all in 2004 imagine that! You don't suppose it's an educational process do you? As more people learn about the website don't you think there may be more reports to it?

Do you think that's the only database out there?

No I don't think there will be more reports to it. I think that as more sightings occur, then witnesses get on to google where they can report their sighting. The internet was here in 2005 just as it is in 2013. People don't automatically know where to report sightings until they see a fireball, feel the need to report, then search it out. Like I said before, I find it highly strange that a once-in-a-century event that occurred over Russia would happen today only months after I started writing about the fireball sightings on my gas thread and other threads that were popping up here at ATS, like these;

Just to name a few.

I believe there will be another exploding meteor and when it happens again, what will we be sold? "We just have more population centers so of course this will happen from time to time!!"
edit on 19-2-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Its funny, i actually had a dream last night about more meteors hitting the earth. Then i woke up to find the news about the ones in saudi arabia. Sync

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join