Odd Attraction

page: 5
36
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by darkbake
 


According to Vasa Croe and some of the research he did it was a somewhat active area during the civil war, which the house was built just before the civil war. If I had to guess it was safe house maybe along a slave route or something like that... I don't know though because i'm still having a hard time find records on the property.


There is actually quite a significance in the door being red if it is indeed related to a safe house for slaves.




There are several meanings behind a red door.

In Feng Shui, a red front door means "welcome." Feng Shui is a Chinese philosophy in which the arrangement and color of objects in a room relates to the flow of energy. The front door is known as the "Mouth of Chi" where energy enters. If you believe in or follow Feng Shui, painting your front door red would create welcoming energy.

A red door means "welcome" in an old early American tradition. If a family had a red front door tired travelers traveling by horse and buggy would know that a home was a welcoming place to rest. They would be able to spend the night there. A red door provides protection.

In Biblical times, the Hebrew slaves were instructed to smear blood of a lamb on their front doors to protect their first born from the angel of death. In old Catholicism churches painted the doors of the church red to represent the blood of Christ. Passing through the door would mean that you were on holy ground. Some believe a red door protects the occupants from evil.


If related to slavery then I would really be interested to find out if there is a tunnel behind those walls. You could have some seriously cool history on your hands that has been covered up. My thought is that this is indeed an entrance into a house that is offering safety and sanctuary from persecution. How cool would that be? I just find it very strange that this door is painted on the INSIDE as well as locked from the INSIDE. That would have my curiosity piqued to no end....I would be pulling out a large drill bit and going through the wall to see if I could spot a tunnel....you could always patch a small hole....DO IT!




posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Anybody mention "redrum" yet?

That kinda strikes me in a "Here's Johnny" kind of way. But not Johnny Lutz.

But seriously, is there any chance that the shed was there first, with the house built around it?



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Is there any chance that shed was originally outside, then moved inside?

Anyways, I get the impression you're dealing with a dog. The should could have been where the dog was kept, it scratched the door and walls, and it's the dog you hear growling.

Now I'm loathe to say it's a ghost dog, as I work more with archetypal associations. But if the dog was kept in that shed most of it's life and it died in there, that could create a strong association between the shed and the dog. Not so much a ghost, but an echo of sorts.

I might try leaving it some doggie treats or a water dish, a ball or chew toy, to see if it responds.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Is there any chance that shed was originally outside, then moved inside?

Anyways, I get the impression you're dealing with a dog. The should could have been where the dog was kept, it scratched the door and walls, and it's the dog you hear growling.

Now I'm loathe to say it's a ghost dog, as I work more with archetypal associations. But if the dog was kept in that shed most of it's life and it died in there, that could create a strong association between the shed and the dog. Not so much a ghost, but an echo of sorts.

I might try leaving it some doggie treats or a water dish, a ball or chew toy, to see if it responds.



Door locks from inside....



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


Correct the lock is on the inside. And the style of lock is some sort of drop in pin so it is not unlock-able from the outside


What would scare someone, so much, that they'd lock themself *inside* a small shed, *inside* a basement....


It's obvious the lock wasn't put there for a cat or a dog...only hands could manipulate it.

Did this not cause some questions with you. I've built 5 shed buildings in my life, gardening storage small buildings. Never...ever...have I even considered putting a lock on the inside.

Des



edit on 20-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)


With your impressions Des, I'm starting to wonder if this house was a part of the Underground Railroad, which was prominent during the Civil War. It would also explain why it appears as if a house was built around the shed (at least that is how it appears to me).



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


Don't put these ideas in my head! lol you've got me wanting to do potentially disastrous things now!



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman

Originally posted by Destinyone

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


Correct the lock is on the inside. And the style of lock is some sort of drop in pin so it is not unlock-able from the outside


What would scare someone, so much, that they'd lock themself *inside* a small shed, *inside* a basement....


It's obvious the lock wasn't put there for a cat or a dog...only hands could manipulate it.

Did this not cause some questions with you. I've built 5 shed buildings in my life, gardening storage small buildings. Never...ever...have I even considered putting a lock on the inside.

Des



edit on 20-2-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)


With your impressions Des, I'm starting to wonder if this house was a part of the Underground Railroad, which was prominent during the Civil War. It would also explain why it appears as if a house was built around the shed (at least that is how it appears to me).


The shed is in the basement, underground, so it would have to have been built at the same time as the house or a big hole in the ground would have been very obvious and not a smart place for anyone hiding.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by chasingbrahman
Anybody mention "redrum" yet?

That kinda strikes me in a "Here's Johnny" kind of way. But not Johnny Lutz.

But seriously, is there any chance that the shed was there first, with the house built around it?



Don't know if caught it earlier but I am a Lutz lol.. that was brought up in the amityville comment.

Anyhow, I don't think the shed was moved there because of it's size and placement, and to me it wouldn't make sense to move a shed inside and into a basement, unless it's something i'm missing I can't give you a clear answer on that.
edit on 20-2-2013 by slapjacks because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


Don't put these ideas in my head! lol you've got me wanting to do potentially disastrous things now!


No need for anything disastrous...it is possible that, if it is a concrete wall and not cinder blocks, you could tap around with a hammer or other instrument and listen for any hollow areas. Other than that....a drill with a larger "auger" style bit and a few holes, peer in with a flashlight and see if you find anything.

DO IT!!!!
edit on 2/20/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by slapjacks
 
The old (1890) house I grew up in back in the Boston area had a similar shed under the stairs, it was full of shelves and was used for canning storage. My parents used to have a book of old photos from the house history and the folks made a lot of things in glass jars like jams and stored all their overwintering vegetables in there. The basement was the most stable temperature area of the house. The shed in this post may have had a similar function.

That is, of course, not to say that children or animals never had a timeout in there or were locked in for other reasons.

Hope that sheds some light on why it may have been there.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop
 
Does the room have any openings to the outside? If you look up "old root cellars" on Google you will see that ventilation was key to their function.

Root Cellars



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by evc1shop
 


no way in our out other than the shed door....

Later this evening I will get more picture of the basement, and post them up later for all of you to have a look...



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And the plot thickens....

I overlayed this map on a current map with same dimensions and the Underground Railroad went directly through Kankakee, IL according to this Underground Railroad map from wikipedia.

Wikipedia




posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff! Sounds like a safe haven place, but the impish part of me wonders if it might have held a still. So next time you're in there, how about taking a good whiff to see all that your nose might suggest to you? And please don't destroy it until at least you've solved the mystery?



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


pulling out the hammer drill! lol. not really.. well maybe... I'll be home alone again this evening for a while so i'll see what I can find if anything..



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
Is there any chance that shed was originally outside, then moved inside?

Anyways, I get the impression you're dealing with a dog. The should could have been where the dog was kept, it scratched the door and walls, and it's the dog you hear growling.

Now I'm loathe to say it's a ghost dog, as I work more with archetypal associations. But if the dog was kept in that shed most of it's life and it died in there, that could create a strong association between the shed and the dog. Not so much a ghost, but an echo of sorts.

I might try leaving it some doggie treats or a water dish, a ball or chew toy, to see if it responds.



That was my thought as well, a dog of some sort.


I agree with your impression 100%.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by slapjacks
reply to post by Vasa Croe
 


pulling out the hammer drill! lol. not really.. well maybe... I'll be home alone again this evening for a while so i'll see what I can find if anything..


Ha! Seriously though, I would check out the history of Kankakee and the Underground Railroad with any historians there. I am sure there are some who know about it being a stop for this. They may not even know about your house, but I would bet if you had a historian take a look and they knew what they were talking about then they would probably confirm this. May even get your house on the map of historic sites and be good for a tax break in the process!

Check out the map I posted and see if you can find others and overlay it on a current map as close as possible and you will see what I am talking about. I would love to have a find like this in my house....it would probably be my downfall as you can see I love researching and am not getting anything done today because of this thread.



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
You can also get a big tax break for historic preservation and rehabilitation of a site like this. Could be worth it to investigate accordingly and actually have renovations to the place paid for.

Of course if it does turn out to be what I am thinking and you do get these breaks and do the renovations then I expect an invitation to stay over post-renovation work...with beer..
edit on 2/20/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)
edit on 2/20/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Just found out something else interesting about the house... I was just going through all the paper work I got from title company and apparently when the house was originally built it was a lot bigger then what it is now and at some point in time (no dates given) the house was split into two separate homes... God how I wish I could see photos of this place from the 1800's.. It's just tough because with my schedule and everything I find it hard to get time to actually do extensive research on the place.. The internet isn't giving me much to work with damn!



posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Kankakee actually has a Historical Preservation Program

I would suggest contacting them:

39. KANKAKEE COUNTY H.P.C.
5/09
Michelle Sadler, Office Manager
189 E. Court St., Room 201
Kankakee, IL 60901
815.937.2940
msadler@k3county.net


I am sooooooooooo envious right now. I am one of those that once my interest is captured I don't stop until I find out....it bugs the crap outta me but has been a useful trait in the past so I can't complain too much.





new topics
top topics
 
36
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join