It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US pinpoint infamous Chinese military hacking arm, 'Unit 61398'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

"US analysts believe an anonymous-looking Shanghai tower block is at the heart of a series of hacking attacks by China's military."

Chinese Military's 'Global Hacking HQ Found'

So... given Obama has declared that there will be no distinction made between cyber attacks and the traditional, tangible 'pew-pew' variety, should we be expecting WTC7- esque "fire" (read: a laser-guided missile) to raze this building to the ground in the not-to-distant future?

Or is Obama all bark and no bite? Are the yan'kee yella?!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I would say all bark no bite. Same thing going on in North Korea. We, the US, Obama, says dont do this or else. They do it and we just sit here and go umm ok? I bet you the whole world is laughing at us. This is crap that we can say and bluster all we want, but then nothing ever happens. We should definetly strategically bomb North Korea. China is a little different story, since we are kind of, i mean kind of, allies. Raize the chinese cyber warfare building to the ground. We need to start biting a little along with our bark.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I love how when theres a threat everybody is like "BOMB THEM!!!" and then when we bomb them everybody starts yelling "WHY DID WE BOMB THEM????"

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyarich

Yes, because it's as simple as dropping a couple of bombs on a Nation like China or North Korea. Do you really have a death wish for the trillions of living creatures on this Earth? Is it all worth it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Obama and the US will not attack China for the simple reason that they have never attacked a country (in the last 50 years +) that could actually cause them harm. Why would they do this? It would cost too much, in terms of money and human lives. I actually thought they would somehow link this to NK or Iran...I guess someone fell asleep at the wheel.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:59 PM
link   
There's been a global cyber war going on for a long time. Its interesting that this one is getting much more publicity than all the other cyber attacks that one hears about on the grapevine.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Weird. The world hacking HQ is in China ?

I always thought it is the 10th fleet.

US Government Hypocrites.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
America would never survive an unprovoked attack of that measure. Anyone asking for this is woefully ignorant of how the world outside of America would react.

As much as it pains Americans to accept this, the health of your national is reliant on a decent relationship with other countries. You may be able to do it alone, but not if you went around bombing every country that hacked you

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I would like to add to this thread~

The report was first detailed in The New York Times, which said that the hacking group’s focus was increasingly on companies that work with American infrastructure, including the power grid, gas lines and waterworks

Outgoing Defense Secretary Leon Panetta warned in October that the United States was facing a threat that amounted to “cyber Pearl Harbor” and raised the specter of intentionally derailed trains, contaminated water and widespread blackouts

Vital systems do not have to be taken down for very long or across a particularly widespread area, the experts noted, to cause social disorder and to spread fear and anxiety among the population.

Now I do have some personal thoughts on this... Hacking.... Anonymos...Hacking.... Anonymos.... Could Anonymos be China? As hasn't Anon~ been pulling files and posting them up on the internet for all to see? Could that masked man actually be a China man? I don't know why I was reading this and it clicked on.... Not to mention~

While the report Tuesday focused on China, the experts also highlighted Iran as a concern. That is because China, as a “rational actor” state, knows that a major cyberattack against the United States could be construed as an act of war and would damaging critical economic cooperation between the U.S. and China.

What is really going on now that this cyber war is being made public... Now I may be reaching with Anonymos being China, but I could see the probability as high~ As I would sleugh Iran in with China being a counter part of this hacking that's been goin on. Every American know's about the wars in the Middle East. What if the Terrorist had information they were actually trying to get out and would help civilization move forward? They are now branded Terrorists. And thre's the reason for all the wars. While in the back drop Al Queda/Terrorists have been working on a Alliance with China (Who we know is now hacking America) to help them get this information. "Whatever information that is" to the American public to cause a Civil Unrest? And ultimately a breakdown of the US as we know it?

I know it's slim but my spidey senses were tingling.... What do you think ATS'ers?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

Sorry for the source:

usnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CristobalColonic

"US analysts believe an anonymous-looking Shanghai tower block is at the heart of a series of hacking attacks by China's military."

Chinese Military's 'Global Hacking HQ Found'

So... given Obama has declared that there will be no distinction made between cyber attacks and the traditional, tangible 'pew-pew' variety, should we be expecting WTC7- esque "fire" (read: a laser-guided missile) to raze this building to the ground in the not-to-distant future?

Or is Obama all bark and no bite? Are the yan'kee yella?!

It is an amazing world we are living in. In the old days, these types of thing would of been met with fire and death, now today, countries can do anything and the USA will not back its words. It is not the USA people, no no no, the USA people are really quite brave and tough, its the USA government that is weak in action.

I believe it is for a reason. And tes, the world laughs at the USA now, all talk no action. OMG even the french now can out muscle you on foreign policies.

In fact, just thinking about the US admin, I laughed. Just now, no kidding.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Let me get this straight. This is News? I already figured they were a long time ago.
I'd more then likely get upset if I didn't also feel that we the good old USA wasn't also up to this same type stuff.

I do however think we should charge them if they were actually caught.
Say penalty half the money owed is the charge for such action. And step on China on handling North Korea or step aside.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Why is this in WW3 forum?
Oblama wont do a thing.. he prefers chaos
And if we went to war over something like this,.. gosh.. what would happen to walmart

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Connman
Let me get this straight. This is News? I already figured they were a long time ago.

It's news in and of itself in that it publicly announces China as menace to society No.1 in this field of warfare.

Up until now, it's all been supposition and conjecture. Now, there's some semblance of evidence – circumstantial or otherwise – that the Chinese are doing the bulk of this information stealing, for reasons that can only be construed as getting a leg up on its Western counterparts, both commercially and militarily.

China are under pressure to modernise their manufacturing centric economy from plastic forks to high tech; and given half a century of communist inculcation is not conducive to producing ingenuitive minds, purloining others' ideas is the path of least resistance for such a country to further itself.

The JSF program is delayed and running well over budget. What you don't hear talked about is how the Chinese allegedly hacked Lockheed Martin, resulting an estimated 10 year / 20 billion-dollar loss / leak in R&D. You can't well mass-produce state of the art fighter aircraft that's had its design weaknesses exposed to the enemy and its thousands of lines of software code likely in need of rewriting...

Issue this are of import. Not whether the 'iPhone 1 v.5.0' is being knocked off in Guangdong.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

It's highly unlikely that anyone from 61398 is connected to Anonymous in any meaningful way. That is, they would not be able to use the group as a cut-out for hacking United States infrastructure, or even gathering intelligence on such infrastructure. The reason they wouldn't be able to is because western intelligence agencies and police have already infiltrated Anonymous and would be able to tip the US off of many potential attacks. The ones that slip through the cracks are what the general public hears about, of course, and they're not infallible, but staging the kind of operation China would use a proxy for would require much more planning than any of the attacks we've seen in the past, and tons more manpower. The additional support for such an operation would undoubtedly attract the attention of western operators undercover with Anonymous.

posted on Feb, 22 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ispyarich

Whole world is laughing at us?

In reality the whole world is scared S#!%less of us.

This topic is about something I have a bit of knowledge about as well as a friend...one of VERY FEW...that I can call as such...who is at the TOP of many a countries list as far as a person with Computer Skills that SHOULD NOT BE F#$@&% WITH. His name is MOTHMAN.

This person is a PATRIOT and a good thing too because I and everyone else in the know would hate to see him on the other side. He is capable of just about anything as far as anything to do with Computers and Programing and has informed me that if you are reading about something like described in this topic then it was known about and dealt with a LONG TIME AGO.

He has told me that when it comes to Hackers and those who must deal with them...the NSA and U.S. Cyber Defense...has and employs the very best in the world. He has told me the skill level gap between our personel and those of other nations is so great in our favor it is like another countries personel just learning how to program the clock on their VCR as we are programing what sex the voice will be for a Quantum Computers self determinant voice activation and response.

Split Infinity

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here come the counter claims...

"The Chinese Defence Department accused the United States of conducting systematic hacking against China's military, with more than 140000 break-in attempts in the last month alone. The accusation came after a US report China was doing the same thing."

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I love the fact that we here today get to sit back and watch all the finger pointing. Meanwhile both sides know the real stakes

posted on Mar, 1 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   
To expand on the stakes?

Over 1 trillion dollars lost to chinese hackers, the majority of chinese tech comes from hacking.

Somethings gotta be done but the reality is nothing will be done.
edit on 1-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join