It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man-made chemicals cited in health scourges: UN report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Man-made chemicals cited in health scourges: UN report

www.reuters.com

(Reuters) - Man-made chemicals in everyday products are likely to be at least the partial cause of a global surge in birth deformities, hormonal cancers and psychiatric diseases, a U.N.-sponsored research team reported on Tuesday.

These substances, dubbed EDCs, could also be linked to a decline in the human male sperm count and female fertility, to an increase in once-rare childhood cancers and to the disappearance of some animal species, they said.

"It is clear that some of these chemical pollutants can affect the endocrinal (hormonal) system and ....may also interfere with the develop
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well, well, well. Maybe now with the Monsanto law suit by that old farmer guy, and this type of news, we will see some changes. I always try to avoid chemicals (if you don't know what the word on the label means, don't eat it!), and cook from raw or frozen foods.

I was surprised to learn how few people - bright, savvy people! - don't bother to read labels at all (e.g., my brilliant husband). I believe it should be mandatory education for kids AND adults, especially parents or hopeful parents.

How many compounds to we consume every day? From the dishware we use to the ingredients in "Velveeta", it really is disturbing.

Yes, I know, some things just taste SO GOOD, but at what cost?

And more and more families are running on the hamster wheel so fast that they don't have (take) time to cook, let alone read labels....

The last few years have seen improvements and better disclosure, yes - and I don't subscribe to the "conspiracy to poison us all for depopulation theory", but I do think that carelessness, profit-margins, convenience, and distraction from PREPARING AND EATING WHOLE FOODS is a major problem in the 'industrialized world.'

Humans have made mistakes forever - but we have moved way, way past the hunter-gatherer discovery days (wouldn't you have hated to be the 'poison tester' for new foods way back when?)

But dying immediately from nightshade poisoning and dying slowly from chemical bombardment (internal and external, deliberate and unintentional) is worrisome.

I feel the world is on the brink of a new beginning - let's all hope it's one that is sustainable, healthy, and compassionate for all people.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

i made a thread about humans being bio weapons that relates to this.

Genetic experiments can explain this. They are trying to get certain genomes to sprout amongst a target mass. People go to doctors get blood samples. Finds something strange like a mutated virus. Voyla.! virus infects people. Someone among the population maybe a single individual will carry it but gain a mutated genome and such is evolution. These crops would create enviroments otherwise to rare for it to happen quick enough.

I think people should call them out for exactly what they are doing. Im sure it would get more of a response.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Very interesting -- and thanks for the link! I want to see if I can find the original report and look at their methodologies.

Thankfully, the US is starting to take some action on this (though it's going to be a long process) with the plastics. And local groups like farmers' co-ops and foodie groups are helping educate people about making better choices. As the news article says, the real concern is in the emerging ones, where the impact is huge because of poverty and other social issues and where the area is more likely to be ruled by a dictator or a royal family or a religious group that may be more interested in their own wealth than they are in the health of their nation.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

Hm, that's an interesting theory!

What really horrifies me is the effect that the last 25 years or so have had on children - born and unborn.
I grew up trusting that what was offered me to eat was safe. In fact, it took me until I was in my 40s to even consider eating "wild" game or fish, or even gathered berries and things.

It was foreign to me - I was brought up on grocery store meat and dairy (although my dad did grow veggies throughout his life). I worried more about getting sick from eating foods that grow naturally without human "help", and implicitly believed the government would not release questionable consumables to the public.

LOLz! No, really.

When I was pregnant in the late 80s and early 90s, I devoted myself to eating healthy, and I'm relieved to know I did all I could to grow healthy children. So far, so good.

Knowing what I do now about brain development, I am doubly thankful that I was a dedicated "breeder" and extra careful about what I ate, and what I fed my babies (breast-milk IS BEST), and then natural real foods. Made at home.

Now we are bombarded with Electro Magnetic Fields from wireless tech as well. These are suspect and some believe they may have devastating affects on insects (which we NEED to pollinate our vegetable and fruit diets), and also brains of growing kids.

But how many parents don't know - and are not advised of these dangers? Lots, I'm guessing.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

dictator or a royal family or a religious group that may be more interested in their own wealth than they are in the health of their nation.

Indeed, and that's not even mentioning the wall-street food corporations who care more about profit margins and stretching the resources using preservatives, additives and the like....!!

Let us know if you find the actual report - I am browsing for it as well.

And, of course, with the blinding speed of government, it will no doubt be decades more before much is actually done about it!

Okay, but I've had enough of disillusionment now....that's it! *pounds fist on table* I'm GOING TO make that yard garden this year if it's the ONLY thing I accomplish.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Water filter that keeps out fluoride and all the other meds that seep into ground water

No soda's, no fast food, no vaccines, careful with the doctors'/dentists' (and do your research, don't take their word for it)

Buy your food from European deli's, especially if the container show's it's imported.

Read all the labels and inform yourself on what each ingrediant does.

Vitamins, supplements, green tea's, fruits, veggies, and if you have the space or can eventually get to it, start a small backyard garden or green house and grown your own.

I'm completely convinced that the U.S. will collapse and the cities will be the worst place to be in. So im in the process of purchasing some acreage, fruit/nut tree's, gardens, green house, hunting, and general country living.
edit on 19-2-2013 by dominicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Effects of Human Exposure to Hormone-Disrupting Chemicals Examined in Landmark United Nations Report

Here's another link that gives a bit more information.

Feb. 19, 2013 — Many synthetic chemicals, untested for their disrupting effects on the hormone system, could have significant health implications according to the State of the Science of Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals, a new report by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and WHO.

From ScienceDaily www.sciencedaily.com...

More research is needed
In addition to chemical exposure, other environmental and non-genetic factors such as age and nutrition could be among the reasons for any observed increases in disease and disorders. But pinpointing exact causes and effects is extremely difficult due to wide gaps in knowledge.
"We urgently need more research to obtain a fuller picture of the health and environment impacts of endocrine disruptors," said Dr Maria Neira, WHO's Director for Public Health and Environment. "The latest science shows that communities across the globe are being exposed to EDCs, and their associated risks. WHO will work with partners to establish research priorities to investigate links to EDCs and human health impacts in order to mitigate the risks. We all have a responsibility to protect future generations."

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
And here's the link to the actual report from WHO:
State of the science of endocrine disrupting chemicals - 2012

Effects shown in wildlife or experimental animals may also occur in humans if they are exposed to EDCs at a vulnerable time and at concentrations leading to alterations of endocrine regulation. Of special concern are effects on early development of both humans and wildlife, as these effects are often irreversible and may not become evident until later in life. The third and final chapter of this document discusses exposure of humans and wildlife to EDCs and potential EDCs.

Effects of human exposure to hormone-disrupting chemicals examined in landmark UN report
and another blurb as well.

Recommendations: research, collaboration, testing, reporting.
Not CHANGING immediately and pulling chemicals off the market!! Worrisome, indeed.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Mmm, yes.
I live on the rural edge of a metro area - within a radius of a few acres to a mile, there are fruit and nut trees growing wild and some from old orchards; there is plant material in my UNCHEMICALLY TREATED yard that are edibles, too numerous to name....and nutritious as well as medicinally viable.

Years ago I bought books about natural remedies (both recently published and out-of-print 'Folk Medicine' publications) - I have a medical encyclopedia that is 100 years old and LOADED with natural remedy info.

I also have books on native plants to the region, which are edible, how best to prepare them for use, what nutrients and health benefits they have, etc.

I recommend everyone pick up some of these guides to local flora that you might have right in your backyard.
IN BOOK FORM. Because, when the grid comes down - and some day, it will - REAL BOOKS will be precious indeed.

If I have to live off of mulberries, wild strawberries, dandelions, redbud pods, creeping charlie, walnuts, and dandelions, I will do it. Happily. My husband knows how to 'hunt' and prepare squirrels and rabbit (though I'd prefer to go vegetarian), and I have stashes of dry beans, rice, water, and SEEDS. You can collect seeds from market-bought vegetables as well as buying packaged seeds.

Throw your vegetable scraps outside - many of them will grow wild.
Again - DO NOT fertilize or insecticide or use round-up type products in your yard!
It's a waste of water, a toxic liability to plant, animal, and human life, and a waste of fertile ground. Plus, the chemical and carbon "footprint" of treated, manicured "lawns" are useless in a famine, as well as a waste of water and fuel - water it so it will grow (using precious water), spray it (so it is poisonous), fertilize it so it will look artificial (with chemicals rendering it inedible and poisoning the creatures that produce fertile black soil to begin with)....and then fire up the mower and mow it down, only to rake it up and toss it in a landfill??

It's an asinine system, superficial and wasteful. And then when the stores are all empty and there's nothing to eat - you're hosed.

Leave it alone, be grateful that we HAVE soil, trees, natural fruits and vegetables, nuts and wildlife to sustain us...!!
Plus, I'm convinced that poisoning our yards to kill pests only drives them indoors.
Stupid.

Educate yourselves, folks. Don't take for granted that food will always be available via a simple "going to the store".

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The years I spent researching this subject and it is finally made public. At least I understand the method of action of a lot of these chemicals and have compared them to natural foods in nature. S&F for creating this thread. It seems that if a person with credentials tells the story using the same evidence it helps to get it accepted. Soon the info will be retracted as misapplied evidence contradicts it. There is good and bad in everything.

This chemistry is widespread and the desired properties that these chemical companies want is being integrated into the agriculture so that it doesn't have to be listed. Chemicals are introduced under plant supplements which cause the plant to make different chemistry which causes increased production. This has been going on for a very long time. In a few generations we will possibly adapt but that will be the cause of many families dying out.

Fluoride is an endocrine disruptor. Bromide is an endocrine disruptor. These are used extensively in our culture. Fluoride in an organic form is taken in if it is needed. The body slowly absorbs organic fluorides. Not the case with the stuff in the water.
edit on 19-2-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Isn't it astounding how slowly the cogs move??

We've known for DECADES that DDT, agent orange, and numerous other "chemical applications" are dangerous to life all over the Earth. And yet, wealth still overrides health.
Sad.
And if there is such as thing as 'deadly sins', this MUST be one of them. 'Dominion' does not mean "exploitation"! It means stewardship.

I was so looking forward a few years ago to becoming a grandmother within the next decade. Now, I don't think I want my kids to reproduce...and they are smart and savvy. It's appalling...

have you guys seen the movie "Idiocracy"?
Highly recommend it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Still wish to be a grandparent. Part of us live on in the ones that follows. Not everyone is going to die, some people can adapt. Maybe we will all be deformed compared to what we now are in a hundred years or may lose our intellect reverting back to a less destructive species. Maybe our grandchildren will go back towards what nature is left and enjoy a simpler life, being satisfied with what the earth creates. A shovel is not a bad tool but a thousand huge excavators can be bad to the planet. Maybe your grandchildren will be the lucky ones that inherit the earth. I hope mine do.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Maybe our grandchildren will go back towards what nature is left and enjoy a simpler life, being satisfied with what the earth creates.

Yep, you are absolutely right, and thanks for the positive vibes. I pray for that as well...
I taught my kids from the time they were little to raise chickens, horses, dogs/cats, to plant gardens, to eat food from local truck-farm stands, and to cherish the earth.

And it is true that some will adapt and survive. My daughter is a materials science engineer working on alternative fuel cells based on hydrogen....
My son has his own skill-set as well. I'm very proud of how they turned out, and of all the people who will be reproducing in the future, they would be very good parents, I'm sure.

Now that they are in their 20s, they both have expressed to me how much they appreciated their upbringing - frugal, in touch with the earth, unpretentious....and they both have excellent educations and characters derived primarily from our parenting....and example.

Thanks for your participation here, rick. (Cool hammer-head thing, too - your avatar).

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I'm sure the creator of my hammer would have much preferred a gun. Although I highly doubt if bullets existed back then.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I just posted this to my Facebook page today with the title. "Who didn't expect this?"

My girlfriend was just diagnosed with a type of breast cancer that is "estrogen positive" meaning that it may or may not have been influenced into a cancerous state because her system has been flooded over the years with estrogen drivers or chemicals that mimick estrogen in the body. Birth control products, soy products, etc, etc., not discounting the possibilty that it may have genetic component, by the way.

The almost unbelievable jump in autism, auto-immune diseases, cancers of all types, ad nauseum!

We went to a Doctor of Natureopathy before we went the surgeon and she told us that if it's in a package in a box throw it away! No gluten, no wheat products, no dairy, no meat eaxcept for a few kinds of wild caught fish. We have added a number of supplements to the diet and cut out practically all sugers unless they are dirived directly from the fruits and vegetables we are eating.

And it's not paranoia, it's prevention and it 's improving the odds on survival.

I asked the surgeon and her RN if they recommended any changes to our diets and supplements and they both looked at me like I had two heads. They have virtually no support for the cause or prevention aspect of disease, but the can cut and burn and poison just about anything else you have in your body that used to work correctly. It's really disturbing actually. the only responses I got was that they have some information through the dietary and nutritional department and the other response was there "wasn't any real clinical data" to support the connection between diet and environment to the cause of this kind of cancer. Maybe it's just the body count that points to connection that makes me wonder.

The RN even suggested that there is data that suggests that breast cancers are becoming more frequent and they are seeing a rise in the numbers of younger women who are being diagnosed. Her observations may only subjective and hearsay, but hey, she sees women everyday who are going through it. Improved detection could be part of that, but really who believes that if you eat food tainted with chemicals and drink water contaminated with chemicals and breath air contaminated with chemicals you are not going to see side effects.

Unfortunately this report will not slow the train down much, if at all. There are far to many people making millions on the profits of several industries to let that happen. But I pray that some day we will see an "Nuremburg style" trial for some of these folks. It is tatamount to "crimes against humanity" afterall. But I dare say that many millions will have to die before such a thing could come to pass.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by sharkman

Unfortunately this report will not slow the train down much, if at all. There are far to many people making millions on the profits of several industries to let that happen. But I pray that some day we will see an "Nuremburg style" trial for some of these folks. It is tatamount to "crimes against humanity" afterall. But I dare say that many millions will have to die before such a thing could come to pass.

But, see.....? This battle is decades old! I grew up in the 60s and 70s. We had 'Mother Earth News', and commune opportunities, and a very holistic view of how things could be......
It is crimes against humanity, and we must NOT remain silent about it!!!

Thanks for your contribution to the post!

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 04:42 AM
link   
It all comes down to a few things, excessive and profit oriented industrialisation even at the expense of compromising health, too much government and that too pro-corporations who obviously have the money to lobby for favourable laws.
It can be summarised by just the words 'selfish interests'
Interestingly the masses have been either kept ignorant or even worst made to like harmful things by baiting them with 'higher selfish interests' like low cost, fast food etc.
EVERYBODY is to be blamed except the ones who are doing something about it.
About being independent individually and having a backyard garden, i think it would be much better to have a local community work together to form a self support unit, (let go of too much self interests!!!)
when things collapse the urban areas will be ruined but self sufficient rural areas will be much less affected.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by logical7

About being independent individually and having a backyard garden, i think it would be much better to have a local community work together to form a self support unit, (let go of too much self interests!!!)
when things collapse the urban areas will be ruined but self sufficient rural areas will be much less affected.

Yes, community gardens do exist already.
I inquired about starting one last spring on a couple of vacant lots nearby.

This idea is perhaps the most ancient of all, and certainly did not 'go extinct'. Small groups working together toward mutual health and well-being, with each pitching in, and ALL cared for, was the 'original human society', for crying out loud!

Plato spoke in The Republic about how things would work in an ideal State - and one of the issues addressed was the SIZE of the 'city', the SKIILL-SETS that would be needed, the FACT that people have different talents, energy levels, skills, intelligence, and temperaments -- and that EDUCATION toward maximizing the overall community health was paramount, as well as careful procreation.

Many hands make work light. That's the spirit. TOO many hands, though, create chaos.

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Thanks for all the info you guys posted. Very useful hey can i keep you around? lol Im gunna read through this. I soak up information like a spung. Thanks guys! I love ATS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join