Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Robbers snatch $50M of diamonds off Belgium plane

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
A Swiss International Fokker 100 parked at Brussels airport was robbed by 8 men on Feb 18. They took $50M in diamonds that were on the aircraft. They drove two cars through a security fence, grabbed the diamonds and left. Police found one car burned out near the airport later.

Brussels is a large diamond shipping area, and this is at least the third robbery of an aircraft since 2000. In late 2000 and early 2001 two aircraft were robbed within five months, causing airlines to shun the airport. In this case the police response appears to have been delayed which is raising questions among the diamond industry about security.

Eight armed and masked men made a hole in a security fence at the international airport in Brussels, Belgium, drove onto the tarmac and snatched millions of dollars' worth of diamonds from the hold of a Swiss-bound plane without firing a shot, authorities said Tuesday.
The gang used two vehicles in their daring raid Monday, dragged the cache of stones and sped off into the darkness, said Anja Bijnens, spokeswoman for the Brussels prosecutor's office.
Police found a burnt-out vehicle close to the airport later Monday night and said they were still looking for clues.

worldnews.nbcnews.com...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
inside job me thinks

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I always love a good heist... I was just going to post this story, but you beat me to it

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
All I can say is if I'd known there would be 50mil of diamonds sitting in a plane's hold through a couple wire fences I'd have done exactly the same.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Now that's how you pull off a heist , in..get the goods...out in 3 minutes and nobody's hurt .
I guess it's wrong but you've got to be impressed at the professionalism .

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

I'm quite impressed at both the brazenness and the professionalism involved. Not a shot fired, no one hurt, and they got away with what they came for. And to do it while sitting on the ramp, in daylight is even more impressive.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Betcha life that someone will snitch soon, and with 50 mill up for grabs, there'll be a few corpses along the way.
These jobs go down smoothly but almost always unravel in the following months.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Hope they get caught and are made an example of.

I'm not impressed. The people who impress me are the GOOD PEOPLE of the world (fewer and fewer) who do the right thing in spite of the temptation.

I'd be impressed if one had a change of heart and returned their portion of the loot or perhaps if the gang lost a package, a good Samaritan who found it would return it. That would impress me.

Assuming the company was on the up and up and not engaged in unscrupulous shenanigans that often occur in the diamond industry. Then I'd say it was just karma.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
i want to say inside job to collect on the insurance?

but the whole plane and airport situation is weird would have been easier to plan the inside job some where else?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
50 million dollars in polished rocks? Impressive! This world is fv@king MAD.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Wow, quite a brazen escapade.

The diamond industry is equally as criminal, that is monopolized through a select few companies. I am sure it is well within DeBeers’s power to swamp the market with diamonds driving down pricing, cutting the value of the heist from 50MIL down to a fraction.

ETA,

Of course, It’s probably so inconsequential of an amount to Diamond companies, that it would be the most cost effective to have a few diamond heists every decade or so.
edit on 19-2-2013 by MDDoxs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FuturePeace
i want to say inside job to collect on the insurance?

but the whole plane and airport situation is weird would have been easier to plan the inside job some where else?

Maybe it's an inside job by the insurance agencies... brazen diamond theft every few years to keep premiums jacked up..

new topics

top topics

join