It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Warm Bodies" - Review

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have to say, that this movie was a lot better than I expected it to be.

The premise is, it's the zombie apocalypse (they don't really go into how it came to be, like many zombie movies)...just that it spread, etc. John Malkovich plays the military leader of a walled city, with his daughter being one of the newly trained young folks sent out into the badlands to loot medicine, etc. in the infested areas. During this, she is saved by a zombie who seems to be remembering his humanity. So, Romeo and Juliet with an undead twist.

The thing that makes this movie interesting, is that a lot of it is narrated from the inner monologue of the zombie. Seems he can think clearly, he just can't articulate it well (though this improves throughout the movie, as his humanity improves). This narration provides most of the comedy of the movie, and is pretty funny at times.

Malkovich actually has a pretty small role, as the father who sees all zombies as monsters. That's another key part though too...there are TWO kinds of zombies in this movie. The normal zombies are the shambling drones we are used to seeing, but eventually, they decay into the "skeletons" which are more bony, fast, and strong, and completely monstrous beings. The skeletons leave zombies alone, but the increased humanity we see in the lead zombie of the story, starts to erode that.

I don't want to give any spoilers, so I'll just say that its really a romantic comedy, with just a tad of horror and gore thrown in, so kind of an odd movie, but entertaining, and without being "Twilighty".... The wife and I saw this for Valentines Day, so you know....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I viewed it as a parallel for todays technology centered society and how the younger kids cannot have meaningful social interactions and the writer has hope that they will eventually learn again, or as they get older. But yes, it was much better than I thought it was going to be...much better than those sparkly vampires!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

ugh Twighlight.
Vampires don't sparkle!

However I'm glad to hear that this movie was good. I wanna take my wife to see it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I enjoyed the movie as well. My appreciation of it came partially from the novelty of seeing a zombie movie that wasn't all violence, and the implications in that. I enjoy seeing a monster undergo the transformation from savagery to humanity...just reminds me that it's possible for the worst to get better with a little help. The whole dynamic of the ideas being explored, along with the basic "what if?" theme, were admirably portrayed by Hoult and Palmer, the two leads.

My favorite part was the revolutionary feel to it. It's a brilliant thing to watch happen. But mostly, I like zombie movies. Even if they act human. Which, like I said, made a nice change because it helped boost originality and allowed more chances for creativity. And you gotta admit, there was a lot of imagination to the whole thing. Chances to make the audience laugh and feel along with zombie and the girl.

Not to mention the fact that the author of the book is writing a second one, so we'll probably get a Warm Bodies 2. Something tells me the world is going to want a sequel, especially if they read the next one.

edit on 19-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Yeah, this isn't best picture of the year material, but it was pretty cute. My favorite line was when the boy zombie talks about the "bonies" (the monster skeleton zombies): "The bonies will chomp down on anything with a heartbeat. Of course I will too, but at least I'm conflicted about it." Made me chuckle.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

ugh Twighlight.
Vampires don't sparkle!

They evolve. Selena survives in sunlight, as does Blade. These vampires are made of living diamond. That's why the skin is cold, hard, and glitters. They smell good. They look good. They are made to be the ultimate assassins. That's how Stephanie imagined them, I guess. Wanted to up the game a little.

...you know, that is weird. Why would she make vampires out of diamond? Anyway, Warm bodies is admittedly much better. I try not to hold standards because they get in the way of enjoying movies. I'm critical by nature...so....

edit on 19-2-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the review. I actually thought it looked pretty good myself.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I viewed it as a parallel for todays technology centered society and how the younger kids cannot have meaningful social interactions and the writer has hope that they will eventually learn again, or as they get older. But yes, it was much better than I thought it was going to be...much better than those sparkly vampires!

Younger people do have meaninful social interactions, they're just using a language you dont understand.

I'm not one of the 'younger people' , but I'm close enough to be half-in/half-out.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

These vampires are made of living diamond. That's why the skin is cold, hard, and glitters. They smell good. They look good. They are made to be the ultimate assassins. That's how Stephanie imagined them, I guess. Wanted to up the game a little.

The problem is, such creatures would have long ago taken over the world and enslaved humanity as feed cattle, when you take away the major weakness of the sun (Blade was not a vamp, but a hybrid born out of an unusual circumstance, a pregnant woman being turned, but also surviving the turning). Without the weakness, it fails as even remotely identifiable. Meyer's vampires are impossible beings, and as such, it's impossible to read without completely throwing away our preconceived notions of vampires...which makes the Twilight creatures something else entirely, vampires only in name, and in their bloodlust. Not knocking her...she made a mint off her stories, good for her...but to call them vampires? (and for living diamond, werewolves seem to find them easy to chew...)

Sorry for the derail there...

If you liked Warm Bodies, check out "Fido", it's another zombie comedy with heart, and completely original. The premise there...the zombie apocalypse happened in the 50's, and was dealt with. Zombies then became "tamed" with a collar that allows them some training and use as manual labor. It's about a boy and his pet zombie.

Younger people do have meaninful social interactions, they're just using a language you dont understand.

It isn't the language that is the problem (and we older folks get it a lot more than you think...you think we didn't have our own language growing up, etc.?)
No, it's the MEANS of communication that is the problem. The vast majority of a message is communicated by body language, expression, tone, etc. So, when you aren't communicating face to face, you lose a LOT of the communicated message, and must "guess" at the missing part of it. How many times have you misread a text or e-mail? It's because people don't pick up a phone and actually CALL or actually VISIT with someone.

edit on 19-2-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

My problem with the first movie is the very uncomfortable performance from the main characters.
She twitches around, my wife calls it kristen stewart syndrome.
And he wants to eat her.

It's bizzarre and just ruined it for us.
we can't watch the other movies now.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by cartesia

Albert Einstein: "I will regret the day when technology surpasses our humanity ~ the world will have only a generation of idiots."

We are there.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Double post...sorry.
edit on 19-2-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I rather enjoyed the movie myself, despite all the people complaining it was giving zombies the twilight treatment. I found it to be the opposite...

posted on Jun, 5 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I just watched this movie. It far surpassed my expectations....

There is an inherent message here.. It really struck me as an ATS'r, even though I am a lazy one..

We can't give up on waking the humanity within the sheeple.. I don't know if this was intentional, or just some coincidence. Even if we only get a small percentage of them to see the light, it is worth it.

It is funny, my wife and I collect zombie movies. We have just loved zombies since before they were cool. It is an interesting twist to see "hope" thrown in the genre. Being that zombie flix have always fed on our hopelessness.

Glad the search function worked for me for once.

Overall rating,

Boba

new topics

top topics

join