It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia opposes new North Korea economic sanctions: diplomat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Russia opposes new North Korea economic sanctions: diplomat

news.yahoo.com

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Moscow opposes new economic sanctions on North Korea but would be ready to back measures to limit nuclear proliferation, a Russian official said on Tuesday.

Pyongyang was widely condemned last week after its third nuclear test since 2006, defying United Nations resolutions and putting the country closer to a workable long-range nuclear missile.

"Any additional measures of pressure on North Korea should be aimed exclusively at the sphere of non-proliferation of nuclear arms and rocket launches," Deputy Foreign Minister Gennady Gatilov told a news conference.

"We a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
what the hell is going on?

So north korea decides to say im gunna blow up south korea. So russia says this. Im thinking that maybe North korea will be on its own if it tries to go thru with this. Im not thinking that russia is so much down with what north korea is trying to cook up on the east side of the globe

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

"We are against measures that would affect normal trade and economic relations with North Korea. We understand our Chinese colleagues have similar views." Moscow, a veto-wielding permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear arms programme and return to talks with world powers on disarmament.

edit on 19-2-2013 by CrypticSouthpaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Because any enemy of the USA is a friend of Russia.

Maybe it's time to end the proxy wars and see if humanity can survive the ultimate conflict?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

Im thinking that maybe North korea will be on its own if it tries to go thru with this.

I think it's the opposite.

I mean, I don't know if Russia will side with North Korea if they do attack the South. Or even China.

But this is a show of support to North Korea. Let's not forget that the whole issue behind all the rhetoric lately are the sanctions Russia mentions. A giant like Russia saying they will not support more sanctions, is actually in line with what NK is trying to accomplish.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GarrusVasNormandy

yeah i see what your saying but this to me is a strong statement that if anything goes down Russia is not backing them up

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
By saying they will not support additional sanctions....they might as well have added "or else", this is in line with NK's comment imo, though not the exact same, I find it quite similar.

If there are more sanctions, Should we expect Russia and China to side with NK? Because that would not be good!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Teye22

if they play like a good pet, yes.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by CrypticSouthpaw

That would be a fierce ennemi woudln't it? I would be scared to face all of them at once.

Make that terrified!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Russia owned Vietnam after America was defeated there.

China gave Cambodia hundreds of new military vehicles....Vietnam's now getting free US military hardware and .....US Marines coming to train them on how to use them.

Russia's on our side in playing those idiots in Asia. Otherwise Russia wouldn't have let us into Vietnam and get into the game that's kicking off.

Goal= thin the population of Asia, stop their technological research as they're getting too far ahead of the white boyz countries.

Asians ain't smart enough to figure it all out or learn from history.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Russia owned Vietnam after America was defeated there.

China gave Cambodia hundreds of new military vehicles....Vietnam's now getting free US military hardware and .....US Marines coming to train them on how to use them.

Russia's on our side in playing those idiots in Asia. Otherwise Russia wouldn't have let us into Vietnam and get into the game that's kicking off.

Goal= thin the population of Asia, stop their technological research as they're getting too far ahead of the white boyz countries.

Asians ain't smart enough to figure it all out or learn from history.

I don't think Russia is a NWO pawn, seems like they are supporting every rogue country out there. Given the circumstances of Lybia, After nato pwnt it. Why? Because they were building an aquifer... to feed the people. Its no wonder russia has sympathies for them. And the siding of Ecuador earlier last week breaking down the need of visa and hooking them up with 2 helicopters with promises of it only being the *start* of a long and good pattin on the back biz. We gotta the leader of wiki leaks basically leaking lol through Ecuador to china and russia. Some south american countries are siding. Its quickly becoming a NWO vs Everyone else.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I understand the concern raised by the mere presence of nuclear weaponry in ANY country (specially those that actually USED IT...)
But, what good would more sanctions bring..? The N.K. people are already pretty screwed and isolated, how is imposing stronger trade sanctions going to improve anything?

I'm with the russians in this one...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   
if you read the rest of the statement from Russia

"We are against measures that would affect normal trade and economic relations with North Korea. We understand our Chinese colleagues have similar views."

Moscow, a veto-wielding permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear arms programme and return to talks with world powers on disarmament.
they are, saying in short, ease up so the people can eat, and are asking DPRK to return to the talks. If Russia was behind DPRK they would have not said that

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Putin CARES NOT A SH*t about the N. Koreans.

It is not in Russia's sphere of influence, and is only a problem of China and the world.

All Putin cares about is himself, on how he can continue in power and corruption.

And the world, China, USA, Asia, Africa, can fight it all they want. Putin would gladly add to the chaos, set one upon another, and when it is all over, he will just come in and pick up the pieces and name himself as the next Alexander The Great, the conqueror of the world.

Selfish barbarians with a bit more brains are predictable, as the history of our current civilisation had proven time and time again.
edit on 19-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod
if you read the rest of the statement from Russia

"We are against measures that would affect normal trade and economic relations with North Korea. We understand our Chinese colleagues have similar views."

Moscow, a veto-wielding permanent member of the U.N. Security Council, has urged North Korea to abandon its nuclear arms programme and return to talks with world powers on disarmament.
they are, saying in short, ease up so the people can eat, and are asking DPRK to return to the talks. If Russia was behind DPRK they would have not said that

Yep, that's what I meant

PS: I know I may be a little naif, but sometimes it's good to remember that countries are not real entities, they are People, and thus people should be our priority...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by drakus

EXACTLY And the quote in this statement is correct. As far as it reads to me. Its stating its not down with the nuclear intentions of nk and is not okay with anything that would otherwise hurt their trade between the 2 countries. If they attack they will pull out of nk and be like well they put sanctions on you. But you wernt pactient enough. Now you started WW3 grats. We arn't going to help and think it would prevent wold war three if we just let you get squashed with that behavior.

top topics

join