It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sorry, its all I got" = I am too lazy to go to the bank.....

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

that sounds really good.

Yeah I am a big fan of natural good butter. I dont like the "I cant believe this is not butter" brands...

I dont really toast the bread unless they ask for it that way. I ask my bread guy who delivers daily some really nice fresh bread to just leave it in the oven a little longer. He makes my batch last and says he does that because as the oven is cooling down it toasts the outside very well but leaves the inside nice and soft.

I like it because my batch is the freshest out of his bakery shop.

I used to use sour dough bread but phased it out. It is the best IMO, but my customers dont really care for it.

This is yet another prime example of a small business being awesome for different needs. I used to get my bread from a large company to which I was just customer # what ever. They wouldnt accept requests and were largely inconsistent. I found out later they used frozen dough. It was horrible. They lasted 2 weeks before i switched to a small family owned bakery. They do anything you want, and their quality is just great.

I used to get my croissants from what was the "best" bakery as well and they sucked ass and were really expensive. I switched to my new bakery in both cases and the results are fantastic. Dont think that small = less quality. I have found that with somethings, and food especially, the small guy rocks.

thanks for the recipe by the way....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:32 AM
link   
double...
edit on 20-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by forgetmenot

I have to go, some other shop owners have to make several trips yes.

like I said, consideration is a choice.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Mmmm! Thanks for the visual feast Zed ... awesome.

You obviously put a lot of love into your fare, that will make- ALL- the difference.

( you forgot to mention if you have change of 50 lol.?)

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
In the US, banks and ATMs are pretty available, and besides, most pay with debit or credit cards, so yeah, this issue isn't near as pervasive in the US...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
Simply put: The customer is always right.

No, they are not. And any customer who actually uses that phrase in real conversation can be counted on to be an entitled knob.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malynn

No, they are not. And any customer who actually uses that phrase in real conversation can be counted on to be an entitled knob.

Fine example of why theres no such thing as customer service anymore.

I worked in the service industry for a LONG time. I made a LOT of money. Because of that phrase. To have a problem with a customer because they are using too big a bill is asinine. THE BUSINESS EXISTS TO SERVE THE CUSTOMER.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

no we are there to provide an equal service for just compensation.

Like hiring someone to do a job. You pay them to do the job. NOT to do more work for the agreed upon price for that work load or less then the agreed upon price for the same work. You dont try and steal from people. Not their time, effort, money or property. If you will eat for free, expect discounts for inconvenience, get all sorts of unpaid service and merchandise, then you are a thief. But dont worry. Everything in excess runs out.

The customer service industry needs to get real. That is why it has progressively been moving what it can like production to places like India, China and elsewhere or using less qualified personnel locally to pay less for crap service and products that only appears to be the same superficially.

This is being done because there is hardly more than a few truly successful big businesses that can survive without corporate welfare or some form of subsidy. look at all the big chains now that the pot ran dry...oh change policy all of a sudden to reflect that which is more akin to small business and the model that always existed??? would you look at that....no refunds, no waste, no excess.....ah, now we see that they survived not because of their "great policies" and insight which just made small business die and people wasteful, no....it was tax money....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Breaking a big bill is not asking a worker to do more than their job description. Nor is providing superior customer service. In fact, in most service job, that IS the job description.

The service industry isnt easy. As much as people wish it were simply clerking, it isnt. SERVICE is the job.

Do you think, perhaps, the reason that so many service jobs are failing here is because the service they offer is substandard? In my experience, people will pay extra for quality service. And the most successful businesses in the service industry survive because they can charge more, because they strive to provide the best service possible.

Again, I worked in the service industry for a long time. It makes me laugh to here people whine about being expected to provide quality customer service.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

already said it is not a big deal but boils down to a consideration issue. Like asking to use a bathroom because you are going to mess yourself and the gas station guy or what ever saying they dont have public restrooms since they dont serve food. HE has a bathroom he COULD let you use out of consideration. OR not.

You COULD TRY not to use a store or dinette like a bank teller to save a trip to the bank, OR not....

it is about consideration.....not what the rules say.

Rules say allot of things and benefit only certain situations....mainly when they suit us.

EDIT:
Quality customer service is not the issue that was mentioned. The issue was the "customer always being right".

That is not a standard for any industry. It is/ was the policy for a few establishments that was assumed to be true for all because its a catchy slogan.

Most places STILL OPEN for business are so because they do provide quality customer service.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
here is a little bit of history I found interesting....

The customer is always right

Meaning

The trading policy that states a company's keenness to be seen to put the customer first.

Origin
Several retail concern used this as a slogan from the early 20th century onward. In the USA it is particularly associated with Marshall Field's department store, Chicago (established in the late 19th century). The store is an icon of the city, although it is set to lose its name in 2006 when, following a takeover, it becomes renamed as Macy's. In the UK, Harry Gordon Selfridge (1857-1947) the founder of London's Selfridges store (opened in 1909), is credited with championing its use. The Wisconsin born Selfridge worked for Field from 1879 to 1901. Both men were dynamic and creative businessmen and it's highly likely that one of them coined the phrase, although we don't know which.

Of course, these entrepreneurs didn't intend to be taken literally. What they were attempting to do was to make the customer feel special by inculcating into their staff the disposition to behave as if the customer was right, even when they weren't.

The trading policy and the phrase were well-known by the early 20th century. From the Kansas City Star, January 1911 we have a piece about a local country store that was modelled on Field's/Selfridges:

[George E.] "Scott has done in the country what Marshall Field did in Chicago, Wannamaker did in New York and Selfridge in London. In his store he follows the Field rule and assumes that the customer is always right."

Whether the phrase was coined by Field or Selfridge it is fair to call it American. What we can't do is credit them with the idea behind it. In 1908 César Ritz (1850-1918), the celebrated French hotelier is credited with saying 'Le client n'a jamais tort' - 'The customer is never wrong'. That's not the phrase that people now remember, but it can hardly be said to be any different in meaning to 'the customer is always right'.
www.phrases.org.uk...

so it was NOT to be taken literally but is more of a mission statement and generalization of purpose and aim....

That makes sense. I have my own. "I aim to please, or I do everything with love for my customers, or its my privilege to serve"...ect.

We each have our own philosophy on customer relations but they are all similar. Make them satisfied. Period.

You cant argue that since your milk does not have a month before it expires it should be free...or what ever nonsense this COULD mean. It is just about putting the customer first....that is something we do anyways. It just makes sense. The customer does NOT make company policy on the fly. He influences it in the long run.

Also it is interesting that Big business is the one to coin the phrase, and then go out of business in a hostile take over....

Macy´s....yeah because the customer is even considered there besides his credit limit....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Of course it is not always to be taken literally. Abusive, belligerent and otherwise out of control customers are to be handled accordingly.

It is what any business should STRIVE for. Every customer should be treated like they are the most important.

Again, all this is doing is serving as an example of why customer service doesnt exist anymore. People want to talk about entitled or lazy customers-what about the servers who complain about making change, about giving extremely high quality service, about treating each customer as though they are the most important one out there?

Talk about entitled and lazy.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

how do you know that is not being done?

That aside and entirely a separate issue from educating the consumer of positive habits and tendencies. ....

What is the correct platform then for constructive criticism aimed at improvement? Where is the customer education provided? Is it REALLY one sided.

Can you only be educated about the negative aspects of consumerism? You cant learn to re-enforce positive aspects that make the experience more rewarding for all?

How do people learn to tip accordingly, or not to depending on where they go? Consumer education in what ever form is provided is how. This could be considered that.

EDIT:
Maybe if you want to rent a boat you should not hand the guy a check, maybe you should....this is part of educating yourself depending on what you wish to buy.

Do most people even know what checks are expected to pay for anymore? Are they JUST for personal and business to business debt settlement? Where do you learn that?....from businesses that DONT accept them telling you so...

You want to shop quickly and not spend time in the check out....then plan ahead and bring a debit /credit card and pay the fee....

you want to avoid credit and debit? Then expect it to take longer than swiping a piece of plastic in a machine. Want to go to an antique shop to spend a couple grand on something you were looking for? Then ASK if they take credit or if they only accept cash transactions for anything over 1000 bucks...what ever...

The same way you educate yourself about products /services and the dangers involved then you should educate yourself about the business that offers them to you as well....

It makes the experience more rewarding for all....

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Ever had a really bad day where everything just seems to piss you off?I had one of those recently.In fact I was having it when I replied to OP.I was having a REALLY bad day.
Today,Iam much better.I am able to think more rationally.I actually can feel for the OP and anyone who works retail.I even worked retail before and have had the same thing happen to me.
I am not one of those people.Now there have been times when all I had was a large bill and no time to go break it elsewhere,such as a bank,but I do not make a habit of it.
Some people are just inconsiderate.I regret that I became one of those people ,briefly,and this led to my post.Temporary moment of A%@-holedness.Sorry ATS.But even good people can make bad decisions.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I personally try to only break big bills at chain establishments...I'd never try this at a small mom and pop kind of business.

Of course, you could also post a sign saying no bills over XX amount...

Our small business takes credit/debit cards, and checks too (telecheck), but we do try and have change for $100 in the register. Of course, there's also a pistol under the counter, and we know how to use it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 05:46 PM
link   

how far has the idea of service declined when workers actually COMPLAIN about having to take money

Hardly true! Some customers are just horrible awful nasty people who are NOT right. I know, I had a few come through my register who were just hateful nasty people for no reason at all. Admittedly I worked at Wal-Mart on the night shift so maybe my perception of the normal customer is a little off kilter!
I had one guy cuss me out because I had to have a manager come over and authorize a purchase. (gun stuff as I recall) I didn't make the rules up, I was just a lowly employee doing my job and this guy called me every name in the book. So how is this guy 'right' ?

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by mardukiscoming

No problem man. We all have those. I wont hold being human against you.

Have a good one!

posted on Feb, 21 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
You think that is bad? Try being a cashier and being handed a $1000+ government check for a $200 order. Obviously we don't keep that kind of money in the till, so I have to wait at least 5 sometimes 10 minutes while they go get some more. We are NOT a bank, and no matter how rude this may sound I have to agree with the OP, customers are lazy.

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Tuff life aint it? Now adays most folks in the USA use a debit card. Why? Because the ones tending the register are too stupid to count out your change. I remember being in a 7 Eleven in Rockville Centre N.Y. I asked for change of a $100 bill. the clerk said we don't make change, then I said o.k. then give me a pack of Marlboro's, then handed him the $100 bill, I said..... You'll make change now. He said, get out of the store. I did as he said, with the Marlboro's and my$100 bill. Step to their front window, called their 1-800 number on the sign and lambasted the arse that answered the phone. I was sent $25 gift certificate for my troubles.

I would suggest that if you don't like making change. Get you another job. Maybe in customer service. I'm sure you'll do just fine. I mean you have that "customer service attitude" how could you fail.

And don't you realise that when YOU go out and are on the otherside of the counter You are the customer? Having to deal with some one like you. Yea, figure that one out. IMHO. I hope some one comes in and pays for stuff with pennies and you have to count them. Of all the things to bitch about, and this is high on your list of priorities? WOW what a waste of space in the rants section.
edit on 23-2-2013 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join