It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Sorry, its all I got" = I am too lazy to go to the bank.....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Ok,

OMFG!

I really cant take it any more. Why in the hell do people not bother to get change? Anyone who works in retail, or any form of direct customer sales knows the pain in the ass that it is when a customer comes in with large bills to pay for a miserably small bill. It is not that we that work behind a counter attending people DONT want to give you all the change you need, but really, it is NOT our responsibility to double as a bank.

We cant have hundreds of Euros /dollars in a lock box for your convenience. We usually start off the day with 100-200 dollars /euros a day in change. THAT IS ENOUGH. MAYBE we have another 50-100 in change in another lock box.

All businesses make daily deposits for the most part, or pay bills directly as they come in from the register or the day before´s sales.

It is NOT ok to try to pay a 1-2 dollar/ Euro bill with a 50, or worse a 100 bill.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG with you? GO TO THE BANK. We are at work already, stationed there until we have to go home. While some businesses can afford to send an employee to get change several times a day or can afford to risk having hundreds upon hundreds of dollars /Euros on hand for your convenience, MOST can not. YOU NEED TO GO TO A BANK and ask for small bills.

If you JUST got paid, make 1 trip a month to the bank and ask them to change your large bills for small ones. Especially if you plan on splitting checks and treating people.

I know this doesnt apply to all businesses. BUT we have low sales as it is. We cant give out what little amount of small bills we have to people who are too lazy to go to a bank.

I have asked people "excuse me, but is it possible that you may have a smaller bill or some change on hand?"-
They say "NOOOOOO, anyways I need to break that bill".....then when I say F-it (to myself)..and reply then "well this is on the house. I just opened and I dont have change for that 50", all of a sudden smaller bills appear and change of all sorts.....

It really pisses me off. You know I am asking because I am low on change or JUST opened and dont have more than 100 euros in the register. If most of the items you can buy are under 2 euros and your bill is about 1-3 euros, WHY DO YOU THINK it is ok to hand me a bill where I will give you back 90+% of its worth?

So for every miserable Euro I sell I have to dish out 48 euros worth of change? HOW is that sustainable? I then have to have almost a thousand Euros on hand just to save people like this a trip to the bank (SEVERAL of which are right down the street)!!!

When they outright ask for change without buying something, or after paying their bill I say "no I am sorry, but the banks are only a block down the street and are open still." They say "yeah, but I dont feel like walking over there".....

FFFFFFFFF

so I have to close my little coffee shop several times a day or during the morning rush because 3-4 people are too F-ing lazy to take 5 minutes out of their day?

No, if they are regulars I just tell them to give it to me the next time. if they are not, I really just try and get them to give me the change I know they have. Almost always they just want to break a large bill and think, "hey customer rights"....well F U. Get off your ass and go to the bank. It is REALLY inconsiderate.

I sell coffee and light eats. Most items are under 2 Euros. Take your 50´s and and shove em. Ok....

Besides the safety issue of having that much change on hand every day in tough times where people are desperate and WILL think of robbing you for a quick grand, our sales are WAY down. We sometimes (depending on the business) only sell a couple hundred bucks a day. That means that if 6 people with 50s come in to pay for 1-2 Euros, really because they just want change, NOT your products, that is about your total daily sales....

It is usually not a problem once the ball gets rolling since other customers pay with appropriate bills relative to their bill, so you can usually change a large bill every hour or half hour, as the day progresses.

What is not normal is to have a coffee as an excuse right after a place just opens JUST to break your large bills....JUST IN CASE you need change. (which is the case 90% of the time). Give me break.

I understand that maybe I should keep a safe with tons of money on hand for their convenience, BUT I wont risk that. My wife and I work here and I dont want to be a target. I cant go to the bank more than once a day, since I am by myself attending the business and my wife is in the kitchen.

It is not my responsibility. It really is yours......

Food for thought, a cab can refuse to accept a bill where the total amount owed is less than 20% of the bill given.

I think that is reasonable.

How would you like it if you were paid in quarters? It is still money......right? You just have to go to the bank yourself and get it changed.

In the same way, a business sees your large bills for small checks like a bag full of quarters. It means endless trips to a bank for your convenience.

Also something I didnt mention, but If I cant break your bill I have to treat you.....some people KNOW that is the law and take advantage of the situation. They have a hundred on them always JUST for a free consumption.

I never noticed this issue being SOO bad in the US. Is this normal all over Europe or is it just Spain?
Could it have to do with the economic crisis, that banks have a low supply of some bills and since they cant print more they just whip out more larger denominations? Are they trying to force us to spend more by limiting the small bill supply? In all fairness the ATMs here usually do only give out large bills. That is true.

I just cant take it anymore. Jerks.

edit on 19-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I'll give whatever note I choose and you will give me my change.

Now shut up and get back to work.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I don't know about Euros, but American currency features a fabulous phrase which goes something like:

"Legal tender good for all debts, public or private."

Something like that.

I know how inconsiderate and lazy customers can be. But come on. There is no fighting this system. I know how pissed off it can make you. That will never ever change. We Are All Screwed.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

edit on 2013/2/19 by heyitsok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zedVSzardoz

Idk but it sounds like this is your own business? If so you can put up a sign that says no 50s or 100s ( say like for security reasons or something) and than you won't have to worry about inconsiderate chumps..

I hope that helps.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by HumanitiesLastHope

yeah I thought about that, but people would still hand them to you and ask that you check them with what ever markers or scanners are available. I tried something similar but it looked like I was risking to lose customers.

In the end I just have to accept the fact that this is part of my life....I just needed to write this out and vent some.

Thanks for the advice though. It is a good idea.....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:42 AM
link   
legal tender. I'll take the item and walk out if you refuse to accept legal tender.

Don't really care...

Man, what a society we live in when people are having a sook about having to break a $50...

wow..

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
And, what is wrong with thinking ahead and ensuring that there is enough in small bills to break the occasional large bill?

I cannot fathom getting angry with paying customers when the business practices appear to be what is at fault.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Sorry but you have very unrealistic expectations of customers. Personally, I have one of those camera covers that has spots for cards, and that's my wallet. I have my phone, my drivers license, and a bank card. That's all I need and it means I don't have to lug around a wallet all day.

What very little change I get from my purchases rapidly get eaten by parking meters. On the rare occasion I do have money in my 'wallet', it's always a $20 or $50 note because that's what the ATM dispenses.

If you are the owner of this particular business and people not carrying around chunks of metal with them gives you the #s then you've got two choices.. 1) Get over it and learn to fill the registers with more small change at the start of each day 2) Find another career choice. Your business is there to serve your customers, not the other way around.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimaererum

maybe.....

maybe you can go somewhere else....

A business has the right to choose its customers as much as a customer has the right to choose where he spends his money.....

I have told people who were a problem for customers and the business to not come back....

An attitude like that would earn you such an honor......

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by heyitsok

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

This is the typical attitude of your average customer. No exaggeration. OMFG whoever put me working in contact with the general public was asking for trouble, it is a miracle I never sliced a customer open. ROFLMAO. It doesn't matter if you hurt a creep, they are asking for it. Ya know?

You work with the public. Thats nice.

Do you dream of slicing up many of your customers? Do you have these fantasies often? Is it just your customers you want to SLICE open or is it most people you come in contact with? How long have you been having these urges to slice people open?

I think you might need some help. You should speak to a doctor about these urges and they will point you in the right direction for some medication or therapy.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by zedVSzardoz
reply to post by lacrimaererum

maybe.....

maybe you can go somewhere else....

A business has the right to choose its customers as much as a customer has the right to choose where he spends his money.....

I have told people who were a problem for customers and the business to not come back....

An attitude like that would earn you such an honor......

with this kind of attitude your business has already failed.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   

A Business that chooses its customers wont find itself in business for very long, word of mouth is the most powerful ally for any business, also its worst enemy if your going to be ranting about paying customers like that.

Good luck!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   

edit on 2013/2/19 by heyitsok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by lacrimaererum

I am also a small shop owner.

I don't need your 2 dollars anyways. Go to your big box store and wait in line rather than me giving you personal service that is kind and considerate. If you can't repay that respect, I don't need you in my shop.

2 dollars doesn't cut it in my shop when I have no respect in exchange.

Jude11

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Hang up a sign.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipIntro

because you would then need to have almost 2-7 grand in small bills on hand at certain times a month.....while making deposits, paying bills, and giving change to everyone else.

This is more common here because people tend to go out for a coffee and chat. The "no I got this" and the half hour of arguing so everybody sees is a daily thing. They also hand the largest bill they have so they have enough change JUST IN CASE. What happens then is that at the end of the month, people sound like they have bells in their pockets and purses.

It is the pay cycle here. Everyone gets paid monthly and in large bills and spends the entire month trying to get rid of them as they go INSTEAD OF going to a bank ONCE.

Imagine that for every 1.20 you had to give back 18+ to 48+ in change.

If you sold 400-600 euros you would then have to have about....7000 euros on hand at the beginning of the month....

It is not like they get paid every week. Every month there is about a week of excuse buying and change hoarding...

And like I said, I dont mind giving the change necessary. I sometimes help people out and give them change when they dont buy something since the cab stop is in front and the cabs DO refuse the larger bills.

The average cab ride is about 5 bucks. That means that they need to have 45 bucks for every 50 handed to them on hand. They would all be robbed daily if they did that.

No....

I think it is the pay cycle. It messes every body up. this is not just me....everyone is saying it. We do what we can, but this is just insane.

edit on 19-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey

A Business that chooses its customers wont find itself in business for very long, word of mouth is the most powerful ally for any business, also its worst enemy if your going to be ranting about paying customers like that.

Good luck!

Wrong.

A business that respects their customers will always survive. A customer not respecting that business will find themselves traveling further from home and perhaps paying more because they know their patronage is not appreciated.

I speak from experience.

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   

No worries mate. Here's my card, I'll choose credit and you can pay the 1% fee.

Your loss - no drama.

All good...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Explain how a paying customer coming into a store buying $3.45 worth of goods and handing over a $50 note is dis respectful?
You telling him/her to shove off is disrespectful! I also speak from experience BTW.
Think you need to get off your high horse, a few $ in the register is better than nothing at all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join