It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More on Infinity...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Frank Turek has an interesting view on this:

"I believe in the big bang...I just know who banged it" ~ Frank Turek

Until about the time of Einstein, atheists could comfort themselves with the belief that the universe is eternal, and thus did not need a cause. But since then, five lines of scientific evidence have been discovered that prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the universe did indeed have a beginning. And that beginning was what scientists now call “The Big Bang.”

commonquote.com...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

What if our universe is only one particle within a sea of new universe being born every second of every day forever? One black hole leading to another to another to another..... that's another if though.

I think I've been here more than billions, I'm leaning toward an infinite number of times. Maybe.

edit on 18-2-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ahh that's better
Even one day after the celestial event of our lives I was getting bored.

That's why we're here

So do you think (for the hell of it) that it's possible that more than one big bang may have occured?
Whimsically speaking..

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Since you're dealing with "what ifs" ... What if every galaxy in our universe has a black hole at the core, and over time the black holes consume all of the matter in their galaxies, then over even more time all of the black holes consume each other until all matter in our universe is compressed into one single point in space and then BANG it all begins again?

nice! (where's the Tylenol
P
edit on 18-2-2013 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by canucks555

Sure.
Do you think it's possible the big bang never occurred?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Anything is possible to the ignorant.

Dude.. I'm a follower on this one. Was hoping for a bit of thoughtful interaction. (getting it) -As far as my academic resume... I'm all hat and no cattle.

Old dusty textbooks from the eighties say so, (as I recall) but I wonder..

What are the chances of a microscope (some day) being able to view a galaxy?
Nill I'm sure but hmmm
That would suggest a loop.
There is no "loop"
in infinity, there are outer boundaries that mean something.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

As far as my academic resume... I'm all hat and no cattle.

I like that.

You asked for my input. I gave it and tried to keep it light but my thoughts about it are there.
To summarize:
1) Does it matter if there are an infinite number of universes?
2) Can we ever know if there are?
3) Does it matter if there are an infinite number of universes?
4) We have a lot to learn about our own universe, more than we can ever know about it.
5) Does it matter if there are an infinite number of universes?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Does it matter?... In the long run? Well to sum it up.. Hell yah it does!

The answers or questions don't effect us on a monetary or physical plane, but..It's good for your brain

That rhymes btw

Maybe if we can understand the concept of infinity it brings us one step closer to understanding death.
IE. Both (all) of us were dead one hundred, one thousand, one million yeas ago.
remember??
Death is infinite. You have been dead for longer than you have been alive. Me as well, funny how we cannot process that fact. (what it's like when we're gone. But I digress..

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   

It's good for your brain

Then take what ever position on the topic you wish because your answer is as good as anyone else's.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thanks for your input... this type of thread has no end, no "grande finally" as it were.. just whimsical stuff, thanks again for your input. I think I saw a thread about hamsters on Mars, off to that .... Great stuff! cheers.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

I believe infinity exists as a concept and a mathematical placeholder, but outside of math something infinite is physically impossible. There'd be no movement. There's be no us. There'd be nothing. Absolutely nothing but this infinity.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

So in effect, true infinity would cause "dilution" ?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Whatever was infinite would occupy all space, all time, being essentially nothing. There really is no such thing unless you consider what it is—a mathematical concept.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
5) Does it matter if there are an infinite number of universes?

That might be a question that can only be answered after discovery. This might sound ignorant, by no means do I consider my self a scientist.

What is infinity? This may not be the poster definition but I look at it as math. Endless numbers, they never stop. If math is infinite and every fractal of this reality uses math is this reality not infinite? If this reality is infinite, in the understanding of infinite possibility's, then other universe's have to exist, even with in our own because of the infinite math.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Well.. as of now we have a "sense" that something is beyond our sights. That has to count as something more *personal than a mathematical equation*.
It's THERE. As far as your mind can see.. and beyond as well. How far? For ever? (No loops)

Endless numbers, they never stop.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Infi8nity

Only if there is a direct relationship between mathematics and reality.
While math can represent aspects of reality, it is not reality.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by NiNjABackflip

I believe infinity exists as a concept and a mathematical placeholder, but outside of math something infinite is physically impossible. There'd be no movement. There's be no us. There'd be nothing. Absolutely nothing but this infinity.

Thats not how i see it. Infinite means endless every thing, including possibility's. Because of infinite possibility's the reality you are talking about would exist at the same this reality would exist. While at the same time nothing exist. Any possibility.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   

There are other universes in my opinion. Yes, math is infinite and something finite cannot contain something that is infinite, meaning our reality must be infinite as well.

As far as multiple universe within our own, I think black holes leading to another universe might answer that question.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Only if there is a direct relationship between mathematics and reality.
While math can represent aspects of reality, it is not reality.

I do not understand what you mean. Every thing can be described with math. The math that man made is not the reality but whats its based off of it. Its a description for it, a way for man to decode instructions, like phi.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Where there are walls there is a space after that...right?
Whatever comes after that WALL..must be something...Even if it's nothing if it has DISTANCE then it is something.
Matter be damned!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join