It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Your meat habits are killing the planet"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Apparently we eat significantly more meat than people who lived one to two generations before us. This demand for meat has doubled the amount of grain needed to feed the cattle. In order to keep up with this demand, farmers are relying on pesticide and fertilisers to speed up the grain production. These fertilisers and pesticides are polluting our airwaves and running into the ocean, killing off fish and even threatening the lifecycle of bees.

I'm not sure how I feel about this as an avid meat-eater myself. But that's just me being selfish.

According to the UN research these straightforward changes could cut nitrogen use by 20m tonnes and save billions of dollars per year. Read more: www.news.com.au...

SOURCE

What are your thoughts on this, ATS?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi

That meat is delicious.

Veggies are great too, but nothing beats those tasty animals. I know I'm not changing my diet.

S&F
edit on 18-2-2013 by forgetmenot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

I think I'm not giving up my juicy rib-eye steaks no matter how many fish die in the process of feeding the cows that they come from. I'm an evil, selfish meat eater and I don't care.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

My American girlfriend wasn't much of a meat eater till she tasted a bit of british beef...since then..
shes never looked back...I'm not gonna stop her from having her daily portion..
edit on 18-2-2013 by denver22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
i think its more to due with our population....

if we still lived in tribes this would not be a concern! lol

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noinoi

Apparently we eat significantly more meat than people who lived one to two generations before us. This demand for meat has doubled the amount of grain needed to feed the cattle. In order to keep up with this demand, farmers are relying on pesticide and fertilisers to speed up the grain production. These fertilisers and pesticides are polluting our airwaves and running into the ocean, killing off fish and even threatening the lifecycle of bees.

I'm not sure how I feel about this as an avid meat-eater myself. But that's just me being selfish.

According to the UN research these straightforward changes could cut nitrogen use by 20m tonnes and save billions of dollars per year. Read more: www.news.com.au...

SOURCE

I think I see your problem. Stop reading stories from the UN. Go look up Agenda 21. They have a big agenda. The problem is not meat eaters . The problem is big factory farms that are above the law. Our ancestors raised their own food. Google some 1800's cookbooks and just see the amount of meat based recipes.

vintagecookbooks.healthyeatingandlifestyle.org...

www.archive.org.../n5/mode/2up
edit on 18-2-2013 by ohioriver because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Is it really we eat more of the good stuff, or is it that there are just SO MANY MORE of us eating the good stuff. If it came from the UN, it's gotta be bogus numbers. Has to be. Conversely, mybe we should get rid of 'other' things that eat meat, you know, Wolves, Tigers, Lions, Cheetahs, Bears, Wolverines, Great White Sharks, Killer Whales, Mako Sharks, Leopards, Mountain Lions, Lynx, Dogs, Cats, Rats, Chimpanzees, etc ... Maybe that would help too, I don't know. It's like global warming, role the dice !

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The moment they mentioned the UN, is the moment the red flag went up. Sounds too much like agenda 21. Is Barack Obama, and his family going to cut the meat from their diet? How about all the people that work at the UN? I'll bet not. But they would love us to, wouldn't they?

If we would just sacrifice our meat, and everything else they want us to do, life would be quite rosy for them. Less for us, more for them. Not happening.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The human body has a carnivore digestive tract. I love my meat, and just can't be without it for too long or I would get anemia if I was without my meats.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

I have heard this argument before and it confuses me greatly because I see no problem with being the omnivores we evolved into. The problems I see are GMO(no one should have the right to mess with nature/God),pesticides(which are killing the bees/part of the GMO problem),nuclear power(the greatest threat to our planet aside from the people who promote it). I will gladly eat horse meat that is falsely labeled as beef(that's assuming that the only downside I might experience is the "trots"). With all the radiation released into the pacific from Japan; I will no longer be eating salmon(my favorite food), I also have to assume that all of the wild mushrooms in my area will be contaminated(I've never been of fan of eating them and I see no problem with picking them and sending them back to Japan). Also-I was born with 4 extra canine teeth so I have a mouth full of fangs.

edit on 18-2-2013 by TheWetCoast because: add

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There's a few problems with the theory proposed, but a lot is very true. Whenever you introduce artificial means to increase production, like fertilizers and pesticides, the game changes.

As far as carbon footprint, cattle and other grazing animals are neutral because the decomposition of the foliage they didn't eat will produce the same amount of 'greenhouse gases' as it decomposes.

Oz and NZ have been really good about using eco-friendly techniques like managed grazing, which minimizes the need for fertilizer, so I'm surprised the article comes from oz.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
...The U.N and their bogus reports are a laughing stock.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Regardless of the politics or the taste, it's sad when animals die when it's not necessary. I eat meat when it's offered to me, and I still eat it on pizza or when I eat out from time to time, but really as time goes on it just makes me sad. I find myself cooking it less and less.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Noinoi

So.. what your saying is it is Not the meat eating that is the problem but what the farmers are doing with the pesticide and fertilizers...

Lets get the issue straight.

Greatest machine on the planet is a Pig because it can magically turn those veggies into Bacon !
edit on 18-2-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I say eat away on whatever floats your boat.
Sooner or later, something is going to kill you and
Mother Nature will get your ashes.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I agree, the U.N. is a joke and there is a huge agenda with seed suppliers and hybrid gone amuck / unregulated correctly,,, But,
I challenge any person to quit red meat for a month or two and just hammer a ton of different beans, and fruit and vegetables.( there are a lot ways to get your protein) and just watch your cholesterol drastically drop and your energy increase !
But I agree about the freedom and right to choose ones own lawful lifestyle.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
In the US we have the far left of the Democratic elite to tell us how, when, where, what and why of our daily functions (everything is governed from what amount of water is permitted to flush your toilet; what the caloric count of your child's school lunch; what type of fuel mix your vehicles gets at certain times of the year; to whether or not you are PERMITTED to defend yourself). The UN is the "world wide" version of the US Nanny State. All done for YOUR good and THEIR profit.

Does anyone believe that the PTB of Agenda 21 will forego their Wagu beef filets? Soy patties for you and me but not for the Royal "thees."

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glinda
Does anyone believe that the PTB of Agenda 21 will forego their Wagu beef filets? Soy patties for you and me but not for the Royal "thees."

As much as I'm pro-vegetarianism... this ^^^

My desire to help animals makes me want people (including my addict self) to stop eating meat, but my libertarian-nature wins above all, that people are and should remain free to eat what they need when they need it.

People should eat whatever they can to avoid starvation, but most people eat meat as a pleasure, not a need, that's undeniable. However, legislation and restriction, let alone outlawing meat entirely, is ridiculous PC idiocy.
edit on 18-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Well there has to be someone to blame.

And I guess it is me again.

Ill take the triple baconator because I don't want to live to long in a society that infringes on everyone and their cow.

Change what is put in the pesticides.
edit on 18-2-2013 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I saw a documentary about zombie alligators.. Apparently fertilizer company's had run off that contributed too many nutrients in a lake.. The darker murkier water killed most fishes except the lung fish.. Alligators who ate this fish in moderation were fine, but when it became the only fish,, It killed off a protein in the gators brain.. Thus creating zombie gators.. With treatment and introduction of indigenous fish species. They were able to bring the lakes back to a normal state, curing the gators..

Now with all that being said.. Although im an avid meat eater (didn't claw my way up the food chain to gnaw on carrots) .. I can see where some studies could come to this conclusion..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join