It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get a Load of These Police Targets....Scary Stuff.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

Originally posted by Creep Thumper
reply to post by Visitor2012

Are you schizophrenic? You are living in fantasyland. Either that or you are a teenager or a felon with an ax to grind.

Obviously you haven't gotten your skull cracked by an officers baton yet. I hope it never happens to you. If it does happen to you, I'll wager that it was completely unprovoked and completely uncalled for.

I behave myself, therefore, will never have to worry about that, will I?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I like how you paint every cop with the same broad brush. That's the point I'm trying to make.

What do you do for a living? I'm sure I could find something incompetent about you and yours.

I'm sure you could. But I'm not out patrolling the streets with a gun am I?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
"No more hesitation" It says. If you have pregnant woman, little children, granny's packing pistols ready to shoot law enforcement, then we have more bigger problems.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I like how you paint every cop with the same broad brush. That's the point I'm trying to make.

What do you do for a living? I'm sure I could find something incompetent about you and yours.

Thank God. Your brand of justice is why this country is breathing its last.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Are you schizophrenic? You are living in fantasyland. Either that or you are a teenager or a felon with an ax to grind.

Obviously you haven't gotten your skull cracked by an officers baton yet. I hope it never happens to you. If it does happen to you, I'll wager that it was completely unprovoked and completely uncalled for.

I behave myself, therefore, will never have to worry about that, will I?

Yeah sure. Say that to the peaceful protestors who had their faces rearranged. I'm sure they'll agree.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

That's too obscure. Do you have a link?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

I guess I disagree with you. I would say a child's life is more important than an adults.

Before a cop kills a kids, I want them to be positive their aren't other methods to handle the situation.

The kid holding a gun could have been a totally innocent kid who might have found a gun and was trying to give it to the police. There might not be any rounds or the gun could still be on safety.

I don't agree that a cop should start shooting.

But I'm curious about your mind set. How high of a probability would it take to kill a kid. 10%, 20%, 50%, 90%?
edit on February 19th 2013 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Thank God. Your brand of justice is why this country is breathing its last.

I don't want a Brand Of justice. I want a police force that is consistent with our Constitution. It was written years ago, no re-branding needed. The footwork was done long ago, by men who understood what freedom was and understood the many governmental forces that would try to destroy it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Many laws have been written and interpreted by the SC since the Constitution was penned. I don't think you quite grasp the burden under which LEO's operate these days.

I suggest you look into a local citizen's academy (citizen version of a police academy) and learn what it takes to do the job. I believe it will be an eye opener.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
if current trends in legislation are any indicator, the general populous should be thrilled to hear that police are being trained to kill pregnant women and children on sight. After all, the public wants a culture of fear. This supports their current political and economic habits.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by skynet2015
if current trends in legislation are any indicator, the general populous should be thrilled to hear that police are being trained to kill pregnant women and children on sight. After all, the public wants a culture of fear. This supports their current political and economic habits.

Another hysteric. Just what this place needs.

Common sense is dead in this venue.

If a pregnant woman or a kid is going to kill me I'm damn well going to kill them first. Count on it.

My life is just as valuable.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daughter2
I still really want to know what cops are taught.

Are they supposed to shoot when they see a gun?

I was told once that if you keep moving, unless someone has practiced a lot, there is a low probability you would be shot. Combine this with their bullet proof vests and they probably have a low risk.

I would hope they aren't taught to shoot children just because they have guns in their hands.

Or are cops now important than children?

Cops are taught to first and foremost use any means necessary to not escalate to the use of force. They are taught something called "verbal judo" to use in situations that could escalate. Female cops excel at verbal judo. Cops are taught that if they believe their life is in danger, they can shoot. This is where things get really grey. I hate the idea because a lot can go wrong with such a broad rule, but I understand it because in most cases it is a lot better to neutralize a threat before they shoot you rather than wait before you are shot at and possibly killed. Most cops are normal people like you and I and want to go back home at the end of the day to see their family. The huge problem with it is that a lot of guys, who may actually he good cops, make a decision that eventually becomes a bad one from the outcome.

For example, this whole Dorner thing got cops real skittish. There was a blue truck (which was said to be what Dornernwas driving) coming down a street slowly with it's lights off making frequent stops. The street had a house that was under police protection because it held someone on Dorner's kill list. The cops opened fire on the truck. Turns out it was two Hispanic women delivering papers. One got shot in the hand, the other was fine. The lady who got shot will be a couple million richer alternate lawsuit is settled.

Should this happen? Hell no! But it does. Cops should be, and in most cases are, picked from the cream of the crop. But it's hard to train out human nature.

The sad part about all this is the cops are just as scared of you as you are of them. They don't know who is going to shoot them and who is going to shake their hand and thank them for a job well done. And with the rising tensions everyday towards cops, it makes them even more skittish about the people around them.

And on top of all that, I have known cops that won't even point their gun at someone because they don't want to do the paperwork for it. They don't want to have to sit down and write a report about why they pointed their gun at the perp let alone the massive amount of paperwork and investigation for discharging a round.

It's a messed up cycle we have come to these days. The cops are supposed to be there to protect us, but they're as human as we are and are prone to mistakes and corruption. The media plastering that stuff everywhere does nothing for the public opinion of officers and it makes tensions rise between the two sides. In LA, you can't even slightly insult someone without being suspended.

Do I sound like a cop apologist? Probably. I won't speak in defense of cops who are legitimately corrupt men who think they're untouchable. They deserve to be punished to the full extent for whatever they do. But I will defend the many good cops and the good departments I know because they are actually trying to be what they are supposed to be, a service to the people. Generalizing all cops bad because of what you heard or read is just plain ignorant. Instead of having such a vehement hate for them, why don't you try to see things from their side. Go on a ride-along at your local police or sheriff's department. See the world from their point of view. If you get coupled with a cop who is a legit a-hole, then I wouldn't blame you for your point of view because you then have first hand knowledge. But don't stop there. Do whatever you can to meet your local cops. Try to get to know them a little better. I'm sure your PD or SD has some kind of community out reach like ride-alongs. You have to put some effort in to it instead of being lazy and just blindly hating what you think you understand.
edit on 2/19/13 by Echo3Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by anton74

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by anton74
I think most of you are missing the point of these targets. These would be used in a training scenario were you have to make a split second decision. The pictures are designed to distract an LEO. They want to see how long it takes them to notice the gun and identify which is a threat. Ask a friend what is wrong with the picture and then show them the picture. See how long it takes them to notice the gun. That inability by an LEO could be serious.

Traditionally, training targets depicted typical "bad guys" with guns. They'd be wearing a ski mask, or generally looking gangster, while non-threatening "civilians" depict ordinary people - unarmed.

These targets blur that distinction at the VERY least. So LE is now betting that those ordinary civilians are going to be a threat? Perhaps rather than depicting them as target practice, they should make an assessment about WHY these kinds of people might be a threat, and do something about THAT rather than desensitizing cops to killing civilians. And by that I mean WHAT is the cause of the population arming themselves? Tyranny?

Cops took an oath, as we all know.

edit on 19-2-2013 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

Ordinary civilians don't go around pointing guns at people. Where I live, all of the people who have been shot by police or shot at police looked like ordinary people. They didn't have Ski-masks and didn't look like Gangsters. These targets are to get an LEO to focus. Instead of seeing a mommy and her little girl, they are supposed to see the gun.

Picture this scenario, a cop in training is told that when he enters a room 2 targets will pop up and he has to eliminate the threat in less than 3 seconds. One target is the pregnant lady with a gun and another is a Gang-banger holding a Latte. How many times do you think someone will get it wrong?

The gang banger was holding something. That's all they need. The cop can say he thought it was a gun and he gets away with murder.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Ha ha ha Reason magazine and Infowars has picked this up and it has gone viral and crashed the site. I posted it to dailypaul too. They have taken down all but one of the pictures but infowars got a screen shot of the page. Reason got a response from the company who says the have billions in contracts with the feds too...

Love it shinning the light on scum...

edit on 19-2-2013 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

So you think every cop is bad? I don't think every person ive arrested is bad. It seems there are always extremes on both sides and extremes are exactly what the problem is. We need the ability to look at things case by case. Sure ive seen examples of lousy people on both sides...but all that makes them is lousy people. I wish you the best though in finding some kind of peace with it...I know I am...if I knew what I was getting into before I took the job I wouldn't have taken it.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
That's just disturbing. The young mother looks more like a preteen. And who the heck would shoot a child, gun or not?

Somebody who doesn't want to get shot themselves? Somebody who wants to stop others getting hurt?

Dedric Darnell Owens took a gun to school and murdered a classmate. He was 6 years old.
Mitchell Scott Johnson and Andrew Douglas Golden shot 15 students and teachers. They were approximately 11-12 years old.

Yes, it is horrible and gruesome to think about. That is exactly why the training exists - because one day a gun will be pointed and the police will have to respond instantly to the threat. Every moment of hesitation while they come to terms with facing a child, a pregnant woman or any other non-sterotypical target, will be an opportunity for that person to shoot the officer or another victim.

The police are asked to do some incredibly distasteful things on our behalf. One of those things includes overcoming their own instincts that might prevent them from acting in order to save others.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

The gang banger was holding something. That's all they need. The cop can say he thought it was a gun and he gets away with murder.

The cop won't get away with anything, he'll be dead. He will be shot by the person who was holding the gun. That is the point of the training. Respond to the threat not the person; if you let the latter obscure the former then you or someone else will end up dead - and if you're dead, you're not going to be of any use to the soon-to-be-victims that you were trying to save.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
It sounds to me that the targets exist to reduce response time to real threats, not to desensitize trainees from their humanity.
It's a shame the pictures are gone. I was curious to see them.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
These targets have come a long way (down if you get my meaning) since the stereotypical ones showing obvious criminals....it is as if they are planning on taking on ordinary americans (sigh).

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Many laws have been written and interpreted by the SC since the Constitution was penned. I don't think you quite grasp the burden under which LEO's operate these days.

I suggest you look into a local citizen's academy (citizen version of a police academy) and learn what it takes to do the job. I believe it will be an eye opener.

I have no doubt that it's an eye opener.
edit on 19-2-2013 by Visitor2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join