It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow- What's Going on Here? Meteor Shower in Philadelphia Today TOO!- *Video*

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I don't think they're planes but I'm fairly positive they're not meteors. Kind of stumped on this one.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well apparently meteors do have a minimum velocity of around 11 km/sec, and this is because the earth's gravity accelerates them to that speed, even if they are traveling slower than that and manage to make atmospheric entry. Important thing to remember in the future for these people posting videos on youtube like this. Every one I have ever seen has always been booking it across the sky, like FAST.

But even if we remove this case from the list, I am still remaining vigilant too- with all the others that do appear to have been actual meteors, got me a little spooked... Darn things can just come down and kill you, no warning. Lol, I know that is exceedingly rare though, and you have a better chance of being killed by a radical extremist Amerikan terrorist. In other words, just about zero.
edit on Mon Feb 18th 2013 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sam_inc
LMAO now people debunking meteors

No, just denying ignorance and pointing out why they can't be meteorites. Isn't that the purpose of the site? To deny ignorance and look for answers?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Darn things can just come down and kill you, no warning.

True. So can a drunk driver.
There are a lot of things that can kill you with no warning. Myself, I would rather be killed by a meteor than a drunk driver. Much cooler, if far less likely.
edit on 2/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Maybe one of these?

Civilian or military parachute demonstration teams in free fall.

Those "wing-suit" dudes.

Hanggliders

Ultralights

Possibilities

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by HopSkipJump

Originally posted by sam_inc
LMAO now people debunking meteors

No, just denying ignorance and pointing out why they can't be meteorites. Isn't that the purpose of the site? To deny ignorance and look for answers?

Indeed! Denying Ignorance at ATS has been reduced to a quaint notion.
I suppose we have seen worse.....but not by much.

I do admire the polite patience of Phage in explaining this.
Insert palmless face-palm here....I am too lazy to go find it and
link it here. Sigh, must be the result of my self induced dumming down.

Real good source

]Meteoroids enter the earth’s atmosphere at very high speeds, ranging from 11 km/sec to 72 km/sec (25,000 mph to 160,000 mph). However, similar to firing a bullet into water, the meteoroid will rapidly decelerate as it penetrates into increasingly denser portions of the atmosphere. This is especially true in the lower layers, since 90 % of the earth’s atmospheric mass lies below 12 km (7 miles / 39,000 ft) of height

The angle of the entry to your viewing position will directly influence its apparent speed.
Think about how fast it would seem to be moving if it was falling directly at you......right
little or no apparent speed...It's a perspective thing. Just hope it doesn't have the mass to make it the rest of the way!

Several thousand meteors of fireball magnitude occur in the Earth’s atmosphere each day.

Yep, several thousand fireballs every day... for a very very long time!!
edit on 19-2-2013 by Zeptepi because: Too lazy to be lazy anymore...please look this stuff up yourselfs..it will stay with you longer that way!

edit on 19-2-2013 by Zeptepi because: fix bb code

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   
If the world goes this crazy over one meteor that hits Russia, can you imagine how people will react when the "sign of the son of man" eventually does appear in the heaven (after the destruction of false religion of course), along with supernatural portents?

They will certainly be, "faint out of fear":

(Luke 21:25-28) . . .“Also, there will be signs in sun and moon and stars, and on the earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out because of the roaring of the sea and [its] agitation, 26 while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth; for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 And then they will see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 But as these things start to occur, raise yourselves erect and lift YOUR heads up, because YOUR deliverance is getting near.”

edit on 19-2-2013 by SubAce because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I recall reading in a few different places that 2013 will be the year of meteorites...I'm researching now to see if I can add a link, but if I'm remembering correctly it appears to be coming true!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Contrails... right....

Because there isn't nearly enough room in the sky for half a dozen planes to fly a safe distance apart.

If these are planes, then they're certainly not commercial planes. And if they are, then that air-traffic controller should be fired!

And if they're military, why are they going so slow?

And if it's just stunt planes... well.. not very stunty.

I think this "nothing to see here" mentality on ATS has gotta f#cking go
this was a place for seeking answers once. Now it's a place where questions come to die

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I guess people never paid attention to the sky. So they look up, see a contrail, then think it is a meteor.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnarchist

If these are planes, then they're certainly not commercial planes. And if they are, then that air-traffic controller should be fired!

And why couldn't they be commercial planes at different altitudes?

When looking up at planes they can be at varying altitudes but still look as though they are very near one another, it is called perspective so no need to fire an air traffic controller for doing his job.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Who flags these nonsense threads.!?? Makes me so angry sometimes,got loads of flags and Is clearly debunked in one of the first comments! You don't even need to watch the video!! Just makes a mockery of the site... (maybe that's the point)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAnarchist

Jeez...easy, bro...

I took the video at face value, thought it was worth a post. Phage as usual did a good job in pointing out the strongest evidence that they are not meteors: speed- he's right, they are moving way too slow. See my post above on minimum speed, and the reason why that happens. I looked it up. And so I am going with what appears to be the truth. It is no more than that, and I wish people could just let it go. Heck, I did, and I'm the OP. No harm done. It's a discussion board. It's what we do.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PW229
I see planes. Meteors don't "curve."

Pretty much anything that has an unsymmetrical shape will curve while travelling through air or water.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Planes....no doubt about it.

I wish ATS had a function where you could see who "flagged" a post.

Deny Ignorance folks!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
So not a meteor, people. The objects are moving way. to. slow to be a meteor at ANY altitude. You're definitely seeing planes, likely at different altitudes. Military group is also very possible. Philly's airspace is a major air travel corridor, so it could be a couple of trans-Atlantics, or trans-continentals going overhead. Or a couple of military planes flying a training run in a group. It's certainly not space rock at that molasses-in-winter speed.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaterBottle
I guess people never paid attention to the sky. So they look up, see a contrail, then think it is a meteor.

Speak for yourself, when you say "people never paid attention to the sky."

I've looked up into the sky for about 50 years now.
Never have I seen such activity in the skies as we do today, in all the countries I've ever lived in, including:

Scotland
England
Ireland
France
Spain
Balearic Islands
Portugal
Greece + Greek Islands
Turkey
India
East and West Africa
Indian Ocean Islands
Brazil
Peru
Guatemala
Honduras
Caribbean Islands
And, of course, all over the USA, coast to coast.

I'm also a professional photographer, specializing in wide shots of landscapes and nature, among others.

I have learned how to distinguish between the tracks left from contrails of commercial airlines; chemtrails of corporate air polluters and shooting stars/meteors.
It's not that difficult to decifer between them.

The activity in the skies has increased alarmingly, several-fold, within the last 10-15 years.
The skies never looked like this before.
This is not a natural phenomenon...meteor showers or not.

On islands that had dark skies, (due to the lack of ambiant artificial illumination of populated cities), I have witnessed numerous shooting star incidents...some with very long trajectories...but they always burned up upon their encounter with Earth's atmosphere and fizzled away without any big bang.

So, please don't think that anything isn't amiss here, whether it be man made or heaven sent!

What amazes me is how people tend to so easily justify new paradigms and enigmas by fobbing them off as..."oh well, I must not have noticed them before, so maybe it's just me"....

Well, it's not "just you"...That's what the 'the powers that be' would like you to think.

Whether TPTB are themselves responsible for this new phenomenon, or they just don't want the masses to become aware of phenomena that they don't understand themselves, they certainly don't want you to know that they're not in control of your 'safety and wellbeing'.

All I know is...the skies, today, ain't normal!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I see planes as well, easy way to tell the difference is simply watch the
video of the Russian meteor and you will see a stark difference in the
speed, and that was 15 miles up, it really is mind bogglingly fast.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
another meteor thread, great.

may as well open a meteor forum so all these threads will have a home.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Not sure if the correct video was posted, all I see is planes, like Ive seen outside every single day of my 29 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join