It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mississippi Finally Ratifies 13th Amendment (ban on slavery) 2/7/2013?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Mississippi has already come into the spotlight for its inaction regarding the official ban on slavery. It wasn’t until 1995 that the state voted to ratify the Thirteenth Amendment, long after all other states had voted to do so. But even though lawmakers unanimously voted for the resolution, the paperwork was never submitted and the amendment failed to become official.

In the months since Batra noticed the error in November, the state has worked towards completing the paperwork to officially ban slavery. The Office of the Federal Register received a copy of the resolution on Jan. 30, and the state officially ratified the Thirteenth Amendment on Feb. 7.

“We’re very deliberate in our state. We finally got it right,” Charles Barth, director of the Federal Register, told the Clarion Ledger.
Source

So Mississippi was the last to ratify the Amendment banning slavery in 1995? Seriously? Then they forget to file it making it official until a Legal immigrant finds the mistake because they watched "Lincoln" and decided to research it?

One would think this would be an important thing to do(filing it) wouldn't you think? Then they say something like "We’re very deliberate in our state"? What does that mean? You didn't file it on purpose? I personally think that was a poor choice of words to use unless of course he was giving the truth away under the guise of ignorance.

What say you ATS?

edit on 18-2-2013 by Agarta because: changed title

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Ole Miss? Shocker. Way to catch that darn mistake from a movie.

CJ

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So wait, I could have had some slaves in Mississippi all this time?, why do we bother outsourcing to other countries then?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Its more symbolic than anything the amendment passed regardless of what they did and they are bound to uphold it.

I was going to post a thread on this also but its so irrelevant I didn't even bother.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I agree for the most part but what makes it relevant is the incompetence of the State. If they are not competent enough to file a major thing like the ratification of the 13th amendment what other "Smaller" things have been push to the side and forgotten?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Yea but I can understand it in this case. Its like the amendment passed so no one was waiting on Mississippi to do anything and it probably just got sidelined. The reason nobody noticed it is because it isn't important to anything.

But you are correct that something as important as the 13th should have been given more respect than that. You'd think there would be some constitutional watchgroup keeping track of this.

new topics

top topics

join