It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Shelf Cloud

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

shelf cloud is a low, horizontal, wedge-shaped arcus cloud. A shelf cloud is attached to the base of the parent cloud, which is usually a thunderstorm, but could form on any type of convective clouds. Rising cloud motion often can be seen in the leading (outer) part of the shelf cloud, while the underside often appears turbulent and wind-torn. Cool, sinking air from a storm cloud's downdraft spreads out across the land surface, with the leading edge called a gust front. This outflow cuts under warm air being drawn into the storm's updraft. As the lower cooler air lifts the warm moist air, its water condenses, creating a cloud which often rolls with the different winds above and below (wind shear). People seeing a shelf cloud may believe they have seen a wall cloud. This is a likely mistake, since an approaching shelf cloud appears to form a wall made of cloud. A shelf cloud usually appears on the leading edge of a storm, and a wall cloud will usually be at the rear of the storm. A sharp, strong gust front will cause the lowest part of the leading edge of a shelf cloud to be ragged and lined with rising fractus clouds. In a severe case there will be vortices along the edge, with twisting masses of scud that may reach to the ground or be accompanied by rising dust. A very low shelf cloud accompanied by these signs is the best indicator that a potentially violent wind squall is approaching. An extreme example of this phenomenon looks almost like a tornado and is known as a gustnado.[1]

en.wikipedia.org...

this does not happen often , so i thought it would be nice to share it with the members , hope you enjoy it as much as i did

Humbly

LSH

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

That is pretty cool!

Amazing weather phenomena we see these days.

Cool find

link   
Mother Nature is a bitch, I did see this video earlier today but thanks to you for taking the time to post it.

Personally we have never seen one even close to that magnitude but rest assured if we did see one like that if would be new panties and undies required for all

Regards, Iwinder
S&F

link   
Holy crap! Where is that happening? Is it happening now? Take cover!!! That's some scary stuff, I don't ever play with mother nature if something bad like that is happening. You just never know, you have to respect her! She is strong and Unbiased ! ...I bet the air under that cloud is dead air...erily dead and no noise! Like a vacuum!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Meldionne1
Holy crap! Where is that happening? Is it happening now? Take cover!!! That's some scary stuff, I don't ever play with mother nature if something bad like that is happening. You just never know, you have to respect her! She is strong and Unbiased ! ...I bet the air under that cloud is dead air...erily dead and no noise! Like a vacuum!

hehe , relax , everything will be ok , its just a rare cloud formation

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iwinder
Mother Nature is a bitch, I did see this video earlier today but thanks to you for taking the time to post it.

Personally we have never seen one even close to that magnitude but rest assured if we did see one like that if would be new panties and undies required for all

Regards, Iwinder
S&F

indeed , even though i know what they are , it will sill be very creepy to see

LSH
edit on 18-2-2013 by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Awesome and yet at the same time, eerie.

Looks like something out of a Spielberg movie.....
[where's the UFO's ?!.........
]

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

yes ! funny you should say that , when i first viewed the thread , i was looking for any type of strange UFO

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I can't count the number of times I have come to the Fragile Earth forum to be awed and amazed by something posted by a member. That was beautiful.
Thank you for sharing it.
Looked like some pretty nasty weather was on it's way, though.
S&F

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neysa
I can't count the number of times I have come to the Fragile Earth forum to be awed and amazed by something posted by a member. That was beautiful.
Thank you for sharing it.
Looked like some pretty nasty weather was on it's way, though.
S&F

wow thank you so very much , indeed this world has allot of of beauty to offer us

Humbly LSH

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Pretty neat...I love cloud threads...

I think that is what this is...

I took this a few years back...

Here's the thread I posted it in, the thread wasn't very popular it appears, has a few more pics building up to this monster...and a really lucky shot I got...from that same storm...

S&F for the thread

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

WOW ! what a great pic! it looks like Lightning almost ! that is too cool , thank you for sharing

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   

The second one is. It was popping off like crazy that day. It took me roughly 400 some odd shots with a Sony Cybershot to finally get that one shot.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Mother Nature never ceases to amaze us doen't she

I just BEAUTIFUL to watch! S+F for sharing OP! thanks

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teye22
Mother Nature never ceases to amaze us doen't she

I just BEAUTIFUL to watch! S+F for sharing OP! thanks

thank you for viewing

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

wait , so was it a lightning strikes ?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   
meh..that's a typical day in April here in southern Illinois..I have seen much worse..happens in the spring and in the fall here..about every 4 to 5 days...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I like neat looking clouds. My granddaughter and I saw a cloud that was shaped just like a Huge flying goose one day. It was spring and the goose cloud was flying south

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Awesome video. Thanks for sharing.

It reminds me of this one I saw a while back;

Those things are impressive!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

The second picture yes...it was indeed a lightening strike

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>