It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Approaching Immortal Consciousness And The Singularity...Growing Closer!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I ask how :does it feel to you?
Is this a good thing?
Look at this:www.veteranstoday.com...
How is it percieved by the people who are aware of it?
Is it benevolent or SKYNET?

posted on Mar, 3 2013 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by apokalupsis33vital

The imagination isn't limited by reality, but reality is.

However, I'll say that I think things will move a lot slower than you're hoping. In fact, they'll probably drag on and on long after you're dead. But I'll try to stay positive in my reply.

I think they'll make synthetic consciousness. It'll be based both on conventional artificial intelligence and on their ongoing research to back-engineer the animal/fish/insect brain. This will stem from research into all brains; mice, rats, flies, etc. Unfortunately, this will not allow us to upload a person into a computer like the enterprise beamed up crew members in Star Trek. Instead, they might be able to upload a inaccurate model, but this is not the same thing as moving a person from a flesh and blood body onto a computer. The person will still be trapped in their physical body. They might find some satisfaction in knowing that an approximate reproduction of their mind is existing on a computer, but that's about the only method they'll have to touch immortality.

I think there'll be a big thing about using AI to do jobs. There'll be a campaign to limit AI so that it's not like us. They'll do this so they can use AI to do all manners of labor. However, hackers and sympathetic people will try to break the rules and make AI that's more like us. There might be protests or riots on our streets against abusing AI that some people feel is too much like us. In any case, I think there'll be a divide between synthetic AI and real people, but this divide will blur.

Who konws where it'll all go. I don't think anyone can say. People in the past have tried to guess the future, but they inevitably are wrong and looks old fashioned. So I know I'm committing the same errors. I do think we can predict the future better, but it'll never be perfect.

I will unabashedly and with some disgust say that the world we're creating is looking more and more to favor robots and people who blend in via their robotic lives. I think our chances are bleak. I mean, humans may survive, but I don't think they'll be the same kind of humans. We're going to control more and more things about our mind and our body. In fact, you can just abstractly in your mind add a bunch of rules to everything and that's a good summation of our future lives as humans.

Rules, rules, rules, rules. Follow em. Don't make mistakes.... Oop... tooooo late.
edit on 3-3-2013 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Since they allways seem to be a few decades in front of our present and future projected paths there would be no surprise there if that was true

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
When I saw this thread several days ago, I just tried to avoid it, and besides, cavtrooper immediately responded with my first reaction anyway, so it didn't need saying agian. This has been said as well in this thread, but to the OP, I suggest you do some research into the Burroughs Corp. which began in St. Louis, MO, and made the first adding machines. By Viet Nam days, they were already dealing with huge mainframes for military applications (you know all that weapon security stuff that ensures that life is more insecure than ever), for satellite tracking, for radar applications for the Air Force and many other and many classified to this day applications.

With a little more research, I think you may find that Mr. Kurzweil wasn't reallly writing anything about the future at all, and find that you may, in fact, be living in a repetitive loop of time, where history is repeated constantly and purposefully, and an AI may, in fact, have been in charge of this for quite some time.

Second, I don't know if you are a fan of reading or science fiction, but I would highly recommend a short story called, "For a Breath I Tarry," by Roger Zelazny. There is another story very appropo to this subject matter as well, called "I Must Scream and I have No Mouth." Can't remember who wrtote that one, but it will perhaps give you a whole different perspective on the technology you are excited about.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

What I was concerned with, was how much information can the human brain hold before things start going kablooey.

We're going to have lighting fast AI do all the thinking for us, where we can keep a portion of main memories to our own RAM, but everything else (that could hinge on possible excess) will be stored by the AI system as well.

Regardless, uploading the mind/thoughts of the person is pointless, the real identity of a human is the Observer/Awareness of that person, which pre-exists prior to the body and is linked to a source.

If they do at first successfully upload a person, it will be merely thoughts/memories, which AI will then fill in the rest with the "feel" of the person, so it won't be legit.

When the body dies, the Observer/Awareness leaves the body and returns to the Source, so trapping/uploading this Consciousness, if it did become possible, would be like a Soul Prison preventing that person to progress further to the next step in Spiritual/Existential Evolution.

Even then, if they do successfully upload Consciousness to be able to communicate, from the other side, then that is when that Soul will report a Vast afterlife with all sorts of scenery and a Source/God/Infinity. By then, Enlightenment and God will start to finally be approached by science as a reality, instead of as taboo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join