It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the mafia as strong as it once was?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I know New Jersey is area with alot of mob activity. I know many of my friends have fathers that are "mob guys". But wonder if they still have power like they used to have. If they did anything legal they would have to be very careful about everything they did. The crack down on terrorism probally effected the mob lifestyle alot.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by thedonz]

[edit on 30-10-2004 by thedonz]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I don't know about the Italian Mafia in the US, but here in Australia the Russian and Chinese mafia (i know thats not what they call themselves, but whadda ya gonna do eh) are quite a force to be reckoned with.

Recently a gang war erupted in Melbourne involving Italians, Greeks and Australians. So they definitely still have a presence.

The mafia isn't quite the political force it once was, but they still are a driving force behind the trade in illicit drugs.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Italian Mafia has become a shadow of its former self. It really went down hill once John Gotti came into power. Dont even get me started on Gotti's kids what a bunch of morons running the Gambino family now.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I was reading in a paper that they mostly now have gone into legal activites but of course they would still do a bit on the side to keep their hands in illegal activites. Police crack down what you do go legit or so it would seem it's not like it used to be anymore they have to be carefull.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I know they are nowhere near the Italian Maifia's organization, but the mexican mafia and the drug smugglers along the mexical border are starting to get real powerful. I do speak from personal experience (My friends dad is a family member of the biggest smuggling organization in Mexico today). I have seen many-a-time when we got out of really bad situations just by my friends father being in the town with us.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
I was reading in a paper that they mostly now have gone into legal activites but of course they would still do a bit on the side to keep their hands in illegal activites. Police crack down what you do go legit or so it would seem it's not like it used to be anymore they have to be carefull.

Not sure that "legit" is the proper description, but I'd have to agree that the mafia is probably far more powerful now than they ever had been. They've gone corporate. The whole Enron fiasco reminded me of a scene from Goodfellas. Sell everything out the back door and when everything is gone, you burn the place down and make off with the insurance settlement.

new topics

top topics

join