It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sin no more

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
In all honesty, this may be moot, considering scholarly consensus says this story is a later addition to the text.

Biblical scholars are nearly all agreed that the Story of the Adulteress (also known as the Pericope Adulterae or the Pericope de Adultera) usually printed in Bibles as John 7:53-8:11 is a later addition to the Gospel.

Source

In other words, it doesn't belong there in the opinion of most scholars.

Whether they're right or not, I'll leave to you.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by maes2
reply to post by mojo2012

and finally someone reached to this point that stoning is a law of Christianity and Judaism not just Islam !
stoning has very hard conditions so that it is more like a symbolic law than something for implementing.
it is for adultery in the public. the exact adultery intercourse in the public ! and Jesus did not implement stoning because there were not enough witnesses. that case was not adultery intercourse in the public !!!

I prefer the latter too. all real monotheistic religions prefer the latter too !

edit on 18-2-2013 by maes2 because: (no reason given)

you`re just making stuff up that isn`t even in the bible, god said adultery he didn`t make a distinction between public or private, if that distinction was an important factor i`m sure god would have made the distinction.

no offense but it`s that type of rationalization and justification that allows women to get away with talking in church:

1 Corinthians 14
Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Through my understanding of the connection between one's self and God, I've come to realise that "sin" can be defined as any action which causes one to feel guilt.

Guilt is felt when one acts against themself, when the ego acts against the spirit, when you act against God. Guilt can also be felt when one acts against others, since when one acts against an other they ultimately act against themself and God.

Jesus taught that to overcome sin is to ask forgiveness, forgive others, and sin no more.

When one asks forgiveness from God, they ask forgiveness from themself; with faith that God will forgive them, they forgive themself. Thus one's guilt is absolved and they are brought back into alignment with God. However if one does not forgive others of the same sin, the guilt persists as an external projection. One cannot remain in alignment as long as this guilt persists, so they must forgive others.

The archaic laws of Leviticus were meant to stigmatize and discourage sin. Jesus put an end to that paradigm because he saw how those laws only reinforced sin by emphasizing guilt rather than forgiveness.

Namaste/God bless.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Glass

The archaic laws of Leviticus were meant to stigmatize and discourage sin. Jesus put an end to that paradigm because he saw how those laws only reinforced sin by emphasizing guilt rather than forgiveness.

I feel that is still happening today in our "justice system"
People are focused on punishment and not rehabilitation.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Glass

I feel that is still happening today in our "justice system"
People are focused on punishment and not rehabilitation.

Perhaps I should have said "Jesus meant to put an end to that paradigm" since evidently it persists. Prisons are indeed a hotbed of sin.

Prisoners are not only punished by the legal system for their sins, but also punished by other prisoners. So we have sinners being isolated from society, their guilt reinforced by their isolation, and their guilt projected on each other through prison violence. No wonder we have so many repeat offenders; the guilt of the initial sin is never overcome and therefore there is no reason for them not to sin again.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 06:20 AM
link   
Looking at this thread... Why Maxentius... Why didn't you commit more forces against Constantine...

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

There are hints of the true God in the OT... Mostly found in the psalms, and proverbs

An explanation of the differences would be helpful.

Which verses in Psalms and Proverbs are you talking about?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Akragon

There are hints of the true God in the OT... Mostly found in the psalms, and proverbs

An explanation of the differences would be helpful.

Which verses in Psalms and Proverbs are you talking about?

Perhaps i'll make a thread on the differences one day... Im surprised you haven't noticed them though...

You don't actually expect me to dig through the biggest book in the bible to show said hints of the true God do you?

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I'll settle for just one.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

simple enough...

Find a verse where Jesus said God is Jealous...

Better yet, find an example of him condoning the slaughter of the innocent

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   

My mother (now passed on) who was an ordained minister, therapist and spiritual director, with many years of experience and much wisdom, once said to me - "sin with courage". I couldn't believe it and was at a loss, and to this day it perplexes me that she would say such a thing, but I think it has something to do with Carl Jung's maxim that "what we resist only persists" and that while we ought to try our best to be good for goodness' sake, when we do sin if we must, we ought not be TOO hard on ourselves while retaining hope in our salvation, so that we do not become divided and allow ourselves to become separated from the center and source our salvation in the love of God or to believe, falsely that because of our sin, all hope is lost. If there is a tempter/accuser, it is precisely in this wedge issue regarding our sins that he (it) hopes to separate us from the love of God in Jesus Christ.

It's a strange and paradoxical concept however, but that it contains a light hearted humor makes it kind of ring true.

It should not be confused with a permissive framework to sin, however, since we're talking about sin. Thus, taken in it's appropriate context, it's probably good advise. Thanks mom.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

In her case I think he meant - "best to stop screwing around".

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Better yet, show me a verse where Jesus suggested that any God other than that of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was his father.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

I think there he meant that God is the God of all generations and thus the first father of all creation, where the only point of differentiation might have been - "I ask for mercy, not sacrifice."

He came to fulfill and complete the law which can only condemn and thus kill.

Everything prior to Jesus was a foreshadowing and a framework setting the stage, to complete the great work of all ages.

As to Jesus' heavenly father it would seem to me that it wasn't God as an agent, alien, power or principality but the Absolute Godhead who was surely there in the background the whole time regardless of what was happening in the foreground to set the stage (by agents both wittingly and unwittingly) for his entrance onto the scene to set things right and straighten everything out.

Jesus said that God is spirit and truth (to the woman at the well) where worshipers will not longer worship either on the mountain or in the temple, thus re framing God as the everywhere already always spirit of truth and life ie: not as an external being.

As to Jesus' earthly father, that's another matter altogether and not the kind of thing anyone wants to talk about or address and rightly so.

Originally posted by troubleshooter

God's Conspiracy is to blindside the wise, learned, mighty and noble...
...and most of you have been punk'd.

God first said He would do this through His prophet Isaiah who wrote in the 8th century BC...

"...behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid." Isaiah 29:14

Paul quotes from Isaiah in his first letter to Corinth (one of the undisputed letters of Paul)...

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent (learned, intelligent). 20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?" 1 Corinthians 1:19-20

He did it by turning the human notions of wisdom on its head...

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: 27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:" 1 Corinthians 1:26-28

God designed a way to reveal Himself that would be rejected by the world's best and brightest...
...and it is still blindsiding those who think they are special because of wealth, education or power.

How did God punk most of you?

He revealed Himself as a babe, conceived and born in scandal...
...as a man He healed the sick, sided with the oppressed and raised the dead...
...He opposed the religious and secular elite...
...who executed Him for telling them who He really was...
...but He then turned this corporate murder into a victory over death itself.

Paul said it like this...
"...the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God...the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

Your responses will reveal whether you have been punk'd by God or not.

You are doing the works of your own father.”

“We are not illegitimate children,” they protested.
~ John 8:41

Ouch!

edit on 19-2-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deetermined
reply to post by Akragon

Better yet, show me a verse where Jesus suggested that any God other than that of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob was his father.

So I must answer your questions, yet you can't answer mine?

So be it...

18 Then come unto him the Sadducees, which say there is no resurrection; and they asked him, saying,

19 Master, Moses wrote unto us, If a man's brother die, and leave his wife behind him, and leave no children, that his brother should take his wife, and raise up seed unto his brother.

20 Now there were seven brethren: and the first took a wife, and dying left no seed.

21 And the second took her, and died, neither left he any seed: and the third likewise.

22 And the seven had her, and left no seed: last of all the woman died also.

23 In the resurrection therefore, when they shall rise, whose wife shall she be of them? for the seven had her to wife.

24 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God?

25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven.

26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob?

27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Though paul seemed to have a different idea....

8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.

9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.

Yet he did understand that there IS a "God of this world"...

3 But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:

4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Ugh... I feel dirty when I quote Paul...

I answered your question... Now its your turn

edit on 19-2-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Apology coming in 3.... 2.... 1....

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
reply to post by Akragon

Apology coming in 3.... 2.... 1....

LOL... an apology is hardly necessary... they were honest questions

He can choose to see the differences or not...

edit on 19-2-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

No more stars please for saying "sin with courage". Two is quite sufficient.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

I thought you said you had no religious influence in your life? How is your mom being a minister not considered religious influence?

As I said to you in another thread, religious dogma has polluted your mind and hidden the truth from you.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

They (my father was ordained as well) were very liberal and never made me go to church, although I would step in to ring the bell on Sunday to collect my cigarette allowance (to this day I can't quit the damn things!).

As a result (of being a double PK) I spent most of my life trying to find the meaning anywhere else but, and I've gone far afield in search of the truth, but eventually I made another inquiry with an open mind free from any sort of contemptuous bias, prior to investigation.

But now that you think you've got the goods on me I expect to be hounded by you wherever I go on these forums, oh well what can I do?

I never said that I had no influence however, except maybe to be a rebel with a cause.

I still "ring the bell" now (to collect my allowance) but just in a different way..

edit on 19-2-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join