It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the police turning against their own citizens?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I say today two different reports of brutality, one that can be hardly "accidental."

Saylor died Jan. 12 after he was forcibly removed from the Regal Cinemas Westview Stadium 16 when employees said he refused to either leave the theater or buy another ticket after having already seen a movie. Saylor, who had Down syndrome, resisted the deputies and was briefly handcuffed, according to the sheriff's office, which called the circumstances leading up to his death a medical emergency. The deputies removed the handcuffs from Saylor and emergency medical personnel were called. Saylor was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

link

and also this one, which is very graphic

A pregnant woman who was body slammed and hog-tied by California police for using her cell phone while in her vehicle has won a $250,000 settlement as the disturbing video of the incident caught on police camera begins to go viral

link

I am not saying these two are related, but I do think there is a zeitgeist of government and law bodies turning against American citizens (anybody said drones on US soil? gun confiscation?)

any thoughts?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I fail to see the relation of these two tragic and isolated incidents to the thread title.

Given the US of A has roughly 380 million citizens, these two cases are statistically irrelevant.

While I do see a general increase in militarzation of police units, and much stricter - sometimes excessive - enforcement of the law, these two cases have nothing to do with it.

And whether the police state has become worse .. you might want to ask the Kent State students who got shot by the national guard in 1970. It's always been a police state.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I see the LEOs of both Canada, AND the US, being militarised in a rapid manner....
Increasingly the actions of the police have been escalated into acts of casual violence against the people they are hired to"serve, and protect".
The emphasis on police training and the attitude of the command structure had been shifted with the
presumed threat of "terrorism" into a far more abusive and controlling venue.
Constitutional rights are abrogated and weakened, by the anti terror legislation.
This promotes the proliferation of such abuses into national policy which is totally anti constitutional.
These policies are sel reinfocing and will become even more restrictive, abusive,and violent.
Should the weapon bans contemplated for America actually come into effect. the gloves will really come off, and you will see the police turn into an organisation far worse than the Stassi of East Germany.KGB of Russia, or
Hitlers Gestapo

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
We could just as easily post a couple acts of kindness by police that happened recently and ask if our police force is getting too soft.

You can't take isolated instances and extrapolate it to the tens of thousands of police officers on duty at any given time.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
How often does unnecessary brutality and outright criminal acts by "law enforcement" have to happen before people stop referring to them apologetically as isolated incidents?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Personally I can't wait for the day we're all expected to just get on our knees when they come near us, and these people, when they're done fellating them, can wipe the dribble from their chins saying, "it's really not so bad, they have a very tough job, probably the toughest" even though, you know, they volunteer for it, they're well compensated for it, they know full well their expectations, and really, it's not that dangerous, and truly many soldiers have experienced far worse in actual war and maintained their dignity and honor.
edit on 18-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2013 by guanyu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnWoodland

Some police do act like they don't care for the citizens they are
supposed to protect.Others' make it known to the top they will
protect their citizens.Please see the video on my signature,it is
a list of sheriffs who will not disarm the citizens in their counties.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
These are becoming almost like templates, boiler plate threads.

Insert a story or two

Make a claim saying that this is a reflection of ALL police

posted on Feb, 23 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
As the population become more unruly, so will the security forces. a violent culture needs violent security forces. want nicer police? clamp down on the violent culture.

new topics

top topics

join