It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Green 'Space' Slime Baffles Nature Experts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I read on another thread/linked site that most of the meteorites earth encounters are tiny pieces of debris that burn up in the atmosphere and fall to earth in the form of fine dust.

There seems to be an increase in reported meteor sightings lately in the wake of the big one that blew up over russia. Could it be that the large one that blew up in russia had a trail of smaller meteorites, so of the larger causing light shows, but the bulk being microscopic pieces that burn up without anyone seeing?

This larger than normal amount of meteorite dust might be the reason for this star jelly depending on what elements it consists of.

Clouds of dust mixing with the moisture in the atmosphere and forming a sort of gel...

Im no educated scientist, but that seems plausible to me, and would account for the lack of DNA.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Anyone else think we are now 5 mins into a Movie? Maybe 10?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This stuff is actually quite common - took this picture in the Brecon Beacons in Wales in Nov 2005

And it seems to crop up as a 'news' story about once a year. ie:

The BBC in 2008

Nat Geo in 2010

The Daily Mail in 2011

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Anyone else think we are now 5 mins into a Movie? Maybe 10?

i think we are at least half way through

when the hero is trying to understand why everything has gone pete-tong

the 5mins part, was when that zombie ate that dudes face last year!

lol

peace

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I think so

The only baffling thing about it is why it keeps getting described as being 'baffling' year after year after year. Do the media really think we're that stupid? Oh .......

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AndyMayhew

I saw something similar to that in the '70's while hunting in the woods in Arkansas. It was quite large and had what looked to be hundred's off black seeds inside it. I figured it was just a slime mold at the time although I wouldn't touch it. lol
edit on 2/18/2013 by mikelkhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikelkhall

I figured it was just a slime mold at the time although I wouldn't touch it. lol

Well at least you could have poked it with stick.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Originally posted by mikelkhall

I figured it was just a slime mold at the time although I wouldn't touch it. lol

Well at least you could have poked it with stick.

Invasion of the body snatchers!!! Those black seeds are pods!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Would the nature reserve staff not already be familiar with slime mold? and be less baffled? you would think so.

No doubt it exists and is quite common but reading some of the links about slime mold it doesnt seem to match this other goupy stuff, slime mold stays around longer.

Hopefully the 'experts' figure it out someday soon and we can get a conclusive report on the cause.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Who ya gonna call..... beware this stuff has the ability to make toasters dance with negative thoughts

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Slime mold?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yes, very likely.

Incredible how various are the slime mold species:

edit on 18-2-2013 by elevenaugust because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mikelkhall

eewww, sounds like frogspawn.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigdohbeatdown
I've read plenty of theories about life being seeded on earth by meteorites, ie, bacteria / protein pumps and organic material was first brought to earth from meteors.. Maybe this is the stuff?

Perhaps, as it lands in an already life filled world, it is quickly destroyed or integrated by other life, however... if it were to land on a life less earth, one with only the pre requisites of life, ie water and warmth, then it would survive and thrive.. and after 4 billion years.. man arises.

Lol.. god sperm>??? the earth is the ovary.

If it actually does come from a meteorite, panspermia is as good a theory for what this stuff might be.

God maturbates?

Is that in the Bible? 'And Lo...the Lord cracked one off on Sunday, as it was a slow work day...' think i remember reading something like that once.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   

This stuff is actually quite common - took this picture in the Brecon Beacons in Wales in Nov 2005

Did some Army training in the Brecon Beacons many moons ago, it's the only place i know in the UK that can have the weather of four seasons in a single day!

And a lot of rotting sheep carcases over the marsh areas...that don't feel too great in the pitch dark, when you fall into one up to your elbows...ah sweet memories.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Has anyone heard of this cyanobacteria called Nostoc? It sounds very similar to this "Space Slime".
It is found in a variety of environmental niches that forms colonies composed of cells in a GELATINOUS sheath.

Nostoc can be found in soil, on moist rocks, at the bottom of lakes and springs (both fresh- and saltwater), and rarely in marine habitats. It may also grow symbiotically within the tissues of plants, such as the evolutionarily ancient angiosperm Gunnera and the hornworts (a group of bryophytes), providing nitrogen to its host through the action of terminally differentiated cells known as heterocysts. These bacteria contain photosynthetic pigments in their cytoplasm to perform photosynthesis.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It's probably slime mold, but why keeping it a mystery? Scientists are able to test McDonald french fries and see how much they can remain eatable out in the open, but not this?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Possibly, I guess. If so they'll surely figure it out soon. Some of the stuff they were saying is kinda odd, though. Like if you pick it up, it dries up and dissolves?? That's strange.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew

And it seems to crop up as a 'news' story about once a year. ie:

The BBC in 2008

Nat Geo in 2010

The Daily Mail in 2011

I found the same stuff at Beaufort near Ebbwvale early October last year and took a few pics of it. Never even occured to me it was all that unusual

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

reply to post by JayinAR

Like slime mold?

www.treesforlife.org.uk...
naturalsciences.org...

Slime molds are weird they move and they have memory. I think they are aliens

Despite not having brains, slime molds are able to remember where they've been. They avoid oozing back over paths that didn't lead them to food by detecting "memories" in the trails of slime they leave behind. It's possible that these slimy recollections were what led to the evolution of more complex cognitive structures in animals.

io9.com...
edit on 18-2-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join