It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cotton Candy Cloud Hides Baby Black Hole

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

From Discovery News:

This colorful cloud is a supernova remnant, seen in infrared, radio and X-ray light and at its center may hide one of the galaxy’s youngest black holes. Located 26,000 light-years away in the northern constellation Aquila, W49B is a snapshot of the shock waves from a star that went supernova an estimated 1,000 years ago (not including the time it took for its light to reach us). Several observation methods and instruments were used to create the technicolor image above – X-rays from NASA’s Chandra X-ray Observatory shown in blue and green, radio data from the National Science Foundation’s Very Large Array in pink, and infrared and optical data from the Palomar Observatory in orange and yellow — but put all together, one feature becomes glaringly obvious.

Isn't the picture beautiful? This is part of the Hubble Telescope collection of images, and is currently my new background on my laptop. I just wanted to share this beautiful image, and i hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Happy Monday, All!

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.

edit on 18/2/2013 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Very beautiful...

Happy Monday to you.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Wouldn't it be cool if those were the colors we could actually see? Imagine what our night sky would look like

Nice find.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Oooo very pretty indeed! You always have such awesome shares

top topics

join