It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Retail Apocalypse: Why Are Major Retail Chains All Over America Collapsing?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Same in the UK, some real big players who have been around for decades have fallen by the wayside. The reasons are quite simple I believe - the internet. You take out your bricks and mortar and overheads and you can afford to slash prices. Those companies who have gone under only have themselves to blame for not embracing the internet sooner, or doing a better job of promoting themselves online.

I won't be losing any sleep over their demise, only wishing for a resurgence of the smaller shops which sell fresh produce.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
The reason is relatively straightforward.
The people who voted for Obama, for the most part, have very little disposable income.
The vast majority of the people who did not vote for Obama have the greatest percentage of disposable income, and they correctly see that the future is going to be bleak until Obama is out of office, and so are conserving their wealth, or finding other ways of spending it.
Obama's policies are bankrupting the country, Obamacare has destroyed any job growth, and smart people understand that. The cost of health care forces companies to reduce their overhead, and employees, and the cycle continues.
By the way, this is not a partisan remark, as I detest both parties. It is merely a statement of fact. I don't believe in sugar-coating such a simple answer.

not political?? right
....i guess you like the fact that young families working low-paying part-time jobs are charged 400 to 800 dollars a month for private healthcare, and the fact that there are WORKING people that can't afford to go to a doctor. ever wonder why so many WORKING people show up at those free health events that come around for a couple of days sponsored with free labor by dentists, doctors, and nurses and donations of medical supplies?
i'm sure you would be happy to step up and donate generously to their cause. professor?...hardly, for it seems that you are the one that needs some reality-based observational training
edit on 19-2-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-2-2013 by jimmyx because: elimination of a vulgar name

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

uhmmmmmmm...... A few years ago this guy Al Gore invented this thing called the internet.
It has been likened to a series of tubes.
And over the years this series of tubes has grown.
Somewhere deep in a tube is this thing called ebay.
On ebay people actually go and sell their stuff to other people.
And I even hear that in some other tubes other retailers are selling things.
Maybe the collapse it just due to a series of tubes? I don't know.

but all joking aside. The Internet is killing retail. Why pay mall prices when you can get things cheaper than at the mall on the internet.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Killing 'retail' is not the same as killing business. Many people have switched their business over to online business and are better for it. As far as the large chains losing money because of the net.....not so. All major retailers also have internet availability for most, if not all, their products. If they are doing poorly, it's for another reason. The net is creating business. Many people who couldn't afford the store fronts, insurance, phone lines, and all the overhead needed to run it, can do so in the privacy of their own home. Many don't even need storage space as they can drop ship from their supplier. If anything, the net has increased business because people that couldn't or wouldn't get out to shop can do so from the comfort of their recliner. And, many people who couldn't open a store can now do so with a lot less money. The 'net' retailers can also sell their own products without trying to convince a retail storefront to carry their items. It's a win win.
edit on 19-2-2013 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
President Reagan after getting elected found the country was bankrupt from the arms race with Russia.

He had Trust Funds created for alll the Federal Agencies and put a little money in them...told them to go out and invest that money so they had something to operate off of.

That's when the malls and big corporations popped up. The Board of Directors / Major stock holders were the Federal Agencies.

The DOD Retired Military Pay Trust Fund has enough money in it right now to pay the Nations Retired Military for 12+ years without 1 penny in Federal Appropriations right now.

How's their Trust Fund been growing so large year after year? By getting rid of employees in those corporations to keep profits up.

When Steve Jobs and his buddies dressed up as pirates and called Apple's Board of Directors "The Navy"....he wasn't kidding. The Navy owns Apple. Then Steve quit and went on to do his own thing with that digital imaging/movie making thing for awhile.

IT's REPUBLIC folks...this ain't no Democracy. KINGS have been made across America. They few who know about those Trust Funds and keep their families and friends living luxurious lifestyles as they hold the checkbooks to those Trust Funds.

The whole "America's Broke" is a PSYOP. They've successfully tricked the populace into thinking the countries broke so they accept not having careers or jobs. When in fact America's the richest nation on Earth.

We've been forcing how many countries to pay Billions every year to fund our military presence in their country since WWII??

They are closing down Corporate Retail Chain stores across America to keep their Trust Funds bankrolling in more money. So they can use it abroad to undermine other countries economies and live luxurious lifestyles....the worlds none the wiser.

WHY DO YOU THINK THEY ALL SPENT HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS building their own underground bunkers and want America disarmed for? They know the populace will go nuts if the truth comes out.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1

The next thing that will happen (I hope) is that people will stop spending the ridiculous amount of money to get a 4 year college degree. On-line education, and starve the beast of the union college professors - who don't even bother teaching a class.

Sounds like someone's either jealous, or went to a crappy school that he thought was good but didn't bother doing any research.
on-line education? cmon. Shopping is obviously going online. Education won't for a long time. It just doesn't work.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The average person dependent on the govt gets more than the avg person who works full time at a JC Penny or Wal Mart. The system is broke. I guess it will continue on this way until everyone is dependent on the govt.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

The Ponzi pyramid scheme of the Federal Reserve with its fiat currency creates bubbles everywhere....same happened with the overbuilding of shopping centers. True supply and demand will never be accurately taken into account when you have a currency based on debt "at interest", all of which can NEVER be paid back. The Federal Reserve Act (which President Wilson later admitted in his diary was a huge mistake) was and is a major mistake passed by Congress in a quorum when most congressmen were home on X'mas vacation. It is an illegal law as only an Amendment to the Constitution would have allowed any entity besides the Treasury Dept. to print/coin the currency (value-based by the way). It's right there in Article I, Section 8.
The Wall Street Banksters and money-junkies have had a field day ever since especially in the area of financing wars.
www.whatreallyhappened.com

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The economy is NOT improving. That is just sunshine up your [snip]from the ministry of propaganda, AKA, the mainstream media.
edit on 19-2-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Try reading... I dunno ... at least the title.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nomnom

Try reading... I dunno ... at least the title.

Um, I did. First sentence of the OP:

If the economy is improving, then why are many of the largest retail chains in America closing hundreds of stores?

Troll someone else.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Not trolling. I'm doing my part to call out people who don't bother to read the article, and post nonsense which is entirely off topic.

That is one, and the only sentence which mentions "the economy improving". You are taking the words out of context. The point was that the economy isn't improving. If you bothered to read the rest of the article, you'd clearly see this is what it's talking about. The operative word in the sentence is "IF". In that context, it in no way indicates the economy is improving.

Please try to actually read an article, and post on topic, before replying.

Is that seriously too much to ask?
edit on 19-2-2013 by nomnom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I think a lot of people just don't have the disposable income they once did, food, gas, utilities, paying rent or mortgage and taxes are gobbling up what once was used in these stores. Myself, i haven't had a raise in over 3 years and won't for the foreseeable future. The fact that the merchandise is now such an inferior quality does not help either. Things don't last like they once did, i would rather pass than buy something that won't last. Ever try to pick up a box of cereal or a milk carton today, it almost collapses in your hand. Disgusting and only getting worse, orange juice is so watered down there is no value whatsoever, i am type 1 diabetic and occasionally need a shot of it to raise my sugars and question whether there is even enough glucose in it to do that.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
This is good news. More stores selling more crap = more waste. This planned obsolescence and shoddy workmanship crap has to stop.

Lets use these empty mega stores to build places like this

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   
agreed with most people regarding the internet ...the down side is that retail employs a huge percentage of the work force in most country's....which in turn are consumers ...take them out of the equation ...well you know the rest

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Question about your online shopping: What do you pay for shipping, or is that included in the checkout price?

Sure, saving a few bucks here and there is great, but if I need to pay extra for shipping, or ship from 3-4 different places when I could buy everything in one shopping excursion, which is really better?

I will give you and in-depth answer to your question,as well as also replying to OP.
I will start out by saying that YMMV because of your circumstances and what mine are may very well not apply to your life.I live with my elderly father and my disabled brother (born with brain damage and has epilepsy).I moved here right before my mother died 18 months ago of cancer.
I live in a semi-rural place in North Carolina,and nothing is really close to it,although we do have a Food Lion Grocery that got built around 10 years ago.We get our fresh meats and produce there and a few other items that one cannot buy in bulk online (where I shop,anyway) and we almost always buy the store brand.
What I cannot get there,I buy online at Walmart and Amazon.If you buy "Home-Free" eligible items at Walmart Online ($45 or more) shipping is free.No problem for me as our paper goods and pharmacy/sundries/detergents and such meet that easily.I can sit here in the comfort of my own home at any time of my choosing and in my jammies if I so choose and order what I want and do it easily after the initial set-up because you can keep a checklist.I can buy in bulk and save a bundle and not pay outrageous gas prices or wear and tear on truck driving 28 miles round trip and not fight traffic,be exposed to weather conditions and don't have to deal with crowds and checkout lines.Fed-Ex brings it right to my door.
With Amazon,same thing only there is a $79 Prime Membership Fee,but it works out for me because I was ordering so many things we needed after I moved here and took over the finances and running the house,that it was WELL worth it in MY circumstance,not to mention what we save in gas.The perk to that is access to Prime Streaming for no additional cost and we have Roku and I have Xbox,so this is perfect.I have an ordering list just like at Walmart,and one-click ordering and I even get automatic order tracking on my Nexus 7 Google Now that shoots me virtual "cards" when things are shipped (this applies to Walmart-shipped items,also) and Gmail notifies me.So,I can easily and conveniently keep track of my orders,their status and when they will arrive.All the aformentioned perks I cited for Walmart apply here also,except with Amazon Prime there is no $$ limit you have to meet before it's free.At Christmas time,I ordered my father a set of flannel sheets at 5pm on Amazon,and at 11:15am the next day UPS delivered them to my door.It's usually two-day shipping,but sometimes we get things in less than that.
So,for me and my family,this is ideal and I LOVE IT!

I agree with some things others have mentioned here about the reasons so many retail stores are going out of business.It's the reality of the technology age and the impact of the economy and also online shopping being so dang convenient,it's really a no-brainer,IMO.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I think the country would hurt big time of the big box retailers closed up. Do you know how many people get by stealing from these stores? Free groceries, free meals, not to mention stealing stuff so they can return and get rent or phone payment money. Free clothing, free makeup, you have hundreds of people stealing stuff from individual stores every week. If the chains would wake up, they'd put ten times the number of loss prevention people in a store for a week at a time and have a major sweep. Anybody they'd arrest would get the maximum penalty because they'd likely have priors and are repeat offenders.
Wal Mart is in no danger but I agree that weak store sales stem from a bad economy and not from bad sales plans of the stores. In times of famine and drought the weaker ones die off first and the stong survive until its over.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
i read somewhere that internal emails at the top of walmart are expressing concern over the steady drop in sales/profit , so maybe there is truth to the end of the box stores ...

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I work for rep/distribution company. The internet has destroyed the retailers ability to make a profit. First the internet tends to sell at UNDER suggested retail price. Remember people, the nice guy who has the store that you go to to look at stuff before you buy online, he has rent to pay, utilities, employees, taxes, and more. He cant afford to sell for under a certain price. So one day he wont be there so you can look before you order from amazon.

A lot of stuff on the internet is LESS then most dealers actual cost(the japanese or chinese will make an outrageous deal with a HUGE buyer then that buyer floods the internet with product). So now consumers think they are getting ripped of when the see a retail price.

Also, the states are losing huge amounts of tax revenue from online shoppers who arent paying sales tax.

But the can is open, I dont see how we will get the worms back in it.

posted on Feb, 20 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by coop039
But the can is open, I dont see how we will get the worms back in it.

I dont think I want the worms back.

I like the speed and creativeness that this change is bringing us.

The wagon wheel brick-n-morter stores are just going to have to realize that being the best at old-school dynamics will eventually lead to their demise.

Looking back some day I am sure many of us will wonder why it was such a big deal.

But there will always be some stodgy old farts that grumble of how it was so much better back in the day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join