It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop Trespasses Student's Dorm

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

Irrelevant. Rights are there for a reason, friend.

-AA

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTroof
reply to post by YapTalk

Now where would I get such an idea.... Hrmmm maybe from when you said you refuse searches out o fprinciple. That tells me you've been asked to be searched on multiple occasions. Traffic stops? Well then you ARE a criminal. You're breaking traffic laws.

WTF!

Now, you are completely nuts!

I refuse searches just like the kid on the OP because I've done nothing wrong! Because I've done nothing wrong, this section of the Constitution kicks in (as much as you hate it, it applies)

The Fourth Amendment (Amendment IV) to the United States Constitution is the part of the Bill of Rights which guards against unreasonable searches and seizures, along with requiring any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause.

That alone gives me the right to refuse an officer's unlawful requests.

Yes, I've been stop on traffic stops for "driving while brown" and NONE of them have resulted in even ONE ticket.

When a cop asks "can we search your car" I simply say no because I KNOW my rights and exercise them accordingly.

So to sit there and say that I am a criminal is simple out of line and shows everyone the type of person you are.

Btw, nice way to use the marxist playbook to derail the thread and try to cover up for the criminal cops on the OP!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

If you actually listened to the audio no one called the cops on him, the entire
episode was because the cop claimed "someone" saw partying going on
in his dorm room window, the kid then tells the police, maybe they saw the
room above mine, then the police says something you cant really hear.

And if they had such a good reason why did they not arrest him in all their
anger? oh could it be because he didn't break any laws at all and had nothing
illegal there. So we have a case of no probable cause followed up by the
police directly infringing on his rights and breaking school policy, not only
that but it was all just because THEY chose to be confrontational in the
face of a cocky young man...... nope still not ok. a refusal to search has
been ruled time and again to not constitute a reason to search.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by bloodreviara
reply to post by DaTroof

If you actually listened to the audio no one called the cops on him, the entire
episode was because the cop claimed "someone" saw partying going on
in his dorm room window, the kid then tells the police, maybe they saw the
room above mine, then the police says something you cant really hear.

And if they had such a good reason why did they not arrest him in all their
anger? oh could it be because he didn't break any laws at all and had nothing
illegal there. So we have a case of no probable cause followed up by the
police directly infringing on his rights and breaking school policy, not only
that but it was all just because THEY chose to be confrontational in the
face of a cocky young man...... nope still not ok. a refusal to search has
been ruled time and again to not constitute a reason to search.

Shhhhh, Don't say that too loud...

DaTroof does not like The Truth

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   
If this school receives public funding of any kind, they can enter. Now mind you I'm not agreeing, but if you read the fine print when you enroll you agree to searches. The school leaves that in there as a "to keep students safe" clause. Whether its a locker in high school or a dorm in college they can enter and search without you present and without a warrant. I fought this fight and lost with my son in high school.
He is a straight A student, never had any criminal history, played sports, is in boy scouts and very active in the community. So you can imagine the surprise when the principle called me and left a voice mail on my phone saying they searched his locker because a drug dog pointed out his locker. My son was taken out of class and put in the nurses office while they searched it, then they searched his backpack and made him empty his pockets and patted him down.
He didn't refuse because he had nothing to hide, but I felt his rights had been violated. The town has really good layers and it came down to piss off, when he's here we can do as we please. Read the fine print!
edit on 2/18/2013 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   

bel·lig·er·ent
/bəˈlijərənt/

Adjective
Hostile and aggressive.

Someone buy this future broom pusher a dictionary.
edit on 2/18/2013 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by iwontrun

A drug dog would constitute probable cause, also if what you said was
correct the school would not have dismissed this officer for violating
school policy, these officers had no probable cause and were punished
accordingly, this is not a question of who was in the right, the young man
with the attitude problem unfortunately was, like i said before he was a
jerk but that's not against the law.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by bloodreviara

So eye witnesses are not probable cause? My issue was I was not informed or present for the search of his locker or his person. Not that it was done. To me THAT is an infringement of his and my rights as his legal guardian.
Information from a "citizen informant" establishes probable cause by itself, at least as to facts within the informant's personal knowledge, absent known or suspected facts or circumstances that cast doubt upon the reliability of the information provided. (People v. Ramey (1976) 16 Cal.3rd 263, 269.)www.legalupdateonline.com...
edit on 2/18/2013 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

The kid got the cops called on him for a reason. He was being a dick to them for a reason. Maybe he swallowed all the pills he had, or found a way to hide alcohol, but something isn't right about someone being so adamant to refuse a search.

Your posts are nauseating.
Support unauthorized, searches without probable cause, police state crapola. Sickening.

I heard this. Kid was bravely standing up for rights. And police state abilities to enter anytime they wish without probable cause is illegal everywhere. Any idea of it not extending to campus or businesses is Unlawful and unconstitutional and all things in the country are nailed by that constitution. All the other stuff being told is a LIE.

He does not have to submit to random checks like Nazi Germany. This is not something common, but new, and illegal.

Fascism and police state is Illegal, unlawful. They can't write an unlawful legislation to get it in.

PERIOD.

And any stretch of your judgmental overactive imagination to make him guilty without any evidence or proof is libel if put in writing IMO, but certainly conjecture, and just hot air.
edit on 18-2-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
LMAO that was great.. I am sure the shoving from the cop is really what did it as far as the firing went.. There was no cause for him to put hands on the kid..

If they weren't giving him crap about something he clearly didn't do then there would have been no issues.. He told them they can't come in, they were being douchebags to him so he was douchebag right back..

The best part is not only is he still in school but they are no fired so I guess they will learn the law and next time when he tells them to F off they will do just that.

He should sue the school as well.

I love videos where cops get put in their place. You work for us, we are in charge of you, you are here to enforce the laws not make up your own, not hurt us or search us unlawfully or create problems where there is none.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Reply to post by DaTroof

He was being combative by sayin "no, you cannot search my dorm"... There is this thing called a constitution. You should give it a read... He had every right to say no. He had every right to not be nice about it too. Sure, having a good attitude and still being persistent in sayin no would have been the best way. Cops were clearly in the wrong, and this student should see zero repercussions for this.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Every young person needs to have these rules memorized.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Traffic stops? Well then you ARE a criminal. You're breaking traffic laws.

Actually, no - a traffic stop does not meet the threshold for probable cause or reasonable suspension to search a vehicle other than what can be seen in plain view (in the passenger/drivers compartment) for officer safety.

To search beyond plain view an officer must have either probable cause or reasonable suspicion to believe you are in the commission of or about to commit a felony (which a traffic violation is not) or either RS or PC to believe you are armed and dangerous.

www.fedcoplaw.com...

Without reasonable suspicion or probable cause there is no reason to search beyond plain view - period.

You are like a police states wet dream… Keep eating it up, I’m sure it will pay off for you someday.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
as it is clearly a university dorm house / halls of residence - etc - does the student actually have a right to privacy ?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

They should both be kicked out. The cop should (and good that he did) get kicked out for not being a professional LEO and for breaking the same law he is supposed to uphold. The kid should be kicked out for being a professional jerk. His behavior was provocation and escalated the situation. He is a liability to the school.

edit on 18-2-2013 by zedVSzardoz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
How did you find out the cop was fired? Nowhere in the youtube video/description does it say he was nor did you provide any additional link to show he was.

"The kid should be kicked out for being a professional jerk. His behavior was provocation and escalated the situation. He is a liability to the school. "

The cops dont like the way he talks so they take away his rights. You dont like the way he talks so you say he should be kicked out of school. Feel like a pig?
edit on 18-2-2013 by tehdouglas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tehdouglas

www.campusreform.org...

After a thorough internal investigation, the officer in question has been terminated from his employment at the University of Kentucky, effective immediately,” said Monroe in the statement. “The officer in question had inappropriate physical contact with a student,” he continued. “The officer, as a result, was in violation of a number of university employment policies.”
fired and rightly so for violating that students rights it is always good to see the rare occasion when our rights being violated results in the termination of some one who would break the law

dailybail.com...
www.whas11.com...

WHAS11 broke the news to the freshmen when the officer was fired. "I guess I'm excited about it. I guess he violated my rights," Gaddis said. The University of Kentucky Police Department released the following statement Wednesday. “After a thorough internal investigation, the officer in question has been terminated from his employment at the University of Kentucky, effective immediately. The officer in question had inappropriate physical contact with a student. The officer, as a result, was in violation of a number of university employment policies.” – Chief Joe Monroe, University of Kentucky Police Department Gaddis set up a hidden camera on his computer over the weekend when a resident hall assistant told him officers were coming. "Something happened that was kind of funny and I said I should record this and then I sneakily recorded it," Gaddis said. After several minutes of the student cussing and arguing, police shoved their way into his dorm room without consent. "I wasn't the nicest guy, but, I did it for a reason. When I dealt with cops here and I was nice about it they told me they were going to beat me up," Gaddis said.

The university’s official residence policy allows police to enter dorm rooms but does not allow searches without warrants and permission. “Authorization to enter a student’s room under this policy does not constitute authorization to conduct a search of the room," the policy says. "I was like nice this is what I was waiting for and hoping," Gaddis said.
so yeah they do need a warrant school or no school unless their is an emergency (ie people screaming im being killed or the horrible aroma of meth wafting down the hallway) guess some people need to become more knowledgeable with the law

www.righttorecord.org... recent ruling on the right to film police not sure if it applies to this case or just mass but figured it would be of interest to some members
edit on 18-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)
also UK officer in the links refers to university of Kentucky not the united kingdom
edit on 18-2-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DaTroof

and you are incorrect the police officer was FIRED while the student remains at the univeristy in question(this is an old case from 2012) and by searching for the kid named in the issue u can use google to find out that he still attends that school so score one for the good guys

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

I watched the majority of that video and I have to say while the acting was a little over the top it was actually really well done and offered really good advice.

Regarding the OP - I'm not sure if the police were allowed to enter as administrators or not, but shoving the kid was assault (even if I wanted to take a swing at him). Really the cops should have left it alone and the kid really does need to learn some respect (not for cops, just people in general). Seemed like an arrogant little no it all that considers himself a 'better' person.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

from what i have read about the university policy they do in fact need a warrant unless an emergency is in effect or a Maintenance issue.so the barging in and the contact with the student are the primary reasons the officer lost his job well that and the kid was smart enough to film it

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join