It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Meteor released about 33 times the energy of the Hiroshima atomic bomb

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Aren't they mixing up asteroids/comets/meteors? I thought that comet DA14 was half a football field ? And the one that crashed was only about 2 meter in diameter?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

Aren't they mixing up asteroids/comets/meteors? I thought that comet DA14 was half a football field ? And the one that crashed was only about 2 meter in diameter?

Perhalps Phage would give a more accurate answer to this (or at least confirm it, i'm not 100% certain and too lazy to check atm), but...
Asteroid: Just a rock floating arround
Comet: Similar to an asteroid, but with a trail of debris / junks forming a tail following the rock, and that if on impact trajectory would disintegrate entirely before reaching floor
Meteor: An asteroid that crashes on the floor

The crashed one wasn't part of DA14, DA14 is an asteroid, which just passed by and left our proximity.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Komodo
So.. basically Russia should be, statically speaking, wreaking in massive deaths & devistation??

33x MORE than Hiro .. if this is even remotely true.......where's the MSM on the devistation?? or is Russia not able to get any info out to the public due to .. 33x MORE devistation than Hiro.. ?

basically.. the more questions one asks about this ... the more questions are produced.. unless we can get CLEAR grind location of where exactly this 'air-burst' happend..
As Phage and Alfa pointed out, altitude makes a big difference. These guys stood directly underneath a nuclear bomb when it went off, and not only lived to tell about it, but it didn't seem to do much of anything to them. It went off at a much higher altitude than the Hiroshima bomb:

Five Men Agree To Stand Directly Under An Exploding Nuclear Bomb

The atmosphere offers a lot of protection, up to a certain size object. Beyond a certain size, which the Tunguska object exceeded, there is devastation on the ground. That was estimated to be equivalent to about 1000 Hiroshima bombs.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012

Originally posted by Phage

Not sure what you mean by interesting but:

E=0.5*m*v^2

In this case both the m and the v (in particular) were reasonably large.
Energy released is proportional to the square of the velocity. It had a lot of velocity.
edit on 2/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I was rather concerned about the impact if it hadn't burst and contacted the ground? What damage/casualties ensued if had landed in city itself?

It just happened to burst prior to landing. That is like, near death, for those in its vicinity.

edit on 18-2-2013 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

The amount of energy ("33 times the HIroshima bomb") is what caused it to explode. It isn't so much lucky, as that is what usually happens.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghostfreak1

I am sure phage will disagree with me on this:

Asteroid: chunk of space rock
Meteor: chunk of space rock that is in our atmosphere
Comet: chunk of space rock from the further reaches of our solar system. (the tail is formed by plasma jets, not ice melting....which seems like a stupid theory to begin with).

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   

"half the size of a foot ball field

Had it been that big, it probably would have devastated 900 plus miles, or so I heard on the news yesterday. It was not half the size of a football field, that was the asteroid that passed us by. I think it was a third size of the asteroid.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghostfreak1

Found a great Linky here

Asteroid A relatively small, inactive, rocky body orbiting the Sun.
Comet A relatively small, at times active, object whose ices can vaporize in sunlight forming an atmosphere (coma) of dust and gas and, sometimes, a tail of dust and/or gas.
Meteoroid A small particle from a comet or asteroid orbiting the Sun.
Meteor The light phenomena which results when a meteoroid enters the Earth's atmosphere and vaporizes; a shooting star.
Meteorite A meteoroid that survives its passage through the Earth's atmosphere and lands upon the Earth's surface.

Hope this helps

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   

reply to post by WP4YT

Soccer fields are 34 meters long?

Regulation size for 3v3 soccer field is like 35 meters. Just sayin'

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

reply to post by WP4YT

Soccer fields are 34 meters long?

The shortest in length allowed by FIFA is 90 meters.The longest is 120 meters.

CX

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

You seem to imply that the authorities were lax in some way. Do you think it was known that the meteor was going to arrive?

Question for you Phage.......at what size do they start following these chunks of rock? How come they weren't aware of this one or was it just too small?

Do they just accept that most will disintegrate upon entry?

Thanks,

CX.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I know you didn't ask me, but a better question would be, at what size are they able to find them?

99% of the city killers like the one that missed us haven't been found yet, according to the planetary society. They're hard to find.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I always thought they had to be 1km in size to be considered worthy of watching...I found this on wiki...

In the United States, NASA has a congressional mandate to catalogue all NEOs that are at least 1 kilometer wide, as the impact of such an object would be catastrophic. As of August 2012, there had been 848 near-Earth asteroids larger than 1 km discovered, but only 154 are potentially hazardous asteroids (PHAs).[6] It was estimated in 2006 that 20% of the mandated objects have not yet been found.[5] As a result of NEOWISE in 2011, it is estimated that 93% of the NEAs larger than 1 km have been found and that only about 70 remain to be discovered.[

The article goes on to say...

Potentially hazardous objects (PHOs) are currently defined based on parameters that measure the object's potential to make threatening close approaches to the Earth.[8] Mostly objects with an Earth minimum orbit intersection distance (MOID) of 0.05 AU or less and an absolute magnitude (H) of 22.0 or less (a rough indicator of large size) are considered PHOs. Objects that cannot approach closer to the Earth (i.e. MOID) than 0.05 AU (7,500,000 km; 4,600,000 mi), or are smaller than about 150 m (500 ft) in diameter (i.e. H = 22.0 with assumed albedo of 13%), are not considered PHOs.[1] The NASA Near Earth Object Catalog also includes the approach distances of asteroids and comets measured in lunar distances,[9] and this usage has become a common unit of measure used by the news media in discussing these objects.

Source

As there is so much fying around up there, it is impossibe to keep a track of everything, which is why they prioritise based on the above criteria.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
As a proponent of the reality of black triangles, having had an excellent sighting with other folks, I'm inclined to believe that they are not only machines that can move with ease within our atmosphere but also can travel, at least, to the Moon. For that reasoning, I look with a cocked eye at any event in space and near space that seems not quite right. In short, I find nothing about this story above suspicion.
If the object was as big as assumed, about the size of a football field or even half that size, there would be plenty of debris that fell to earth in various sizes. Massive amounts of debris should turn up if it was a solid bodied meteor. Some pieces would surely be quite huge as we see them separate in the videos. Perhaps some would be of the biggest meteorite pieces ever found. We have only to revisit the details of the disintegration of the shuttle Columbia to know that even pieces of fragile manmade craft remain to fall to the ground after an aerial disaster.
Strangely, or not so strangely, the reported falling of a chunk of it through ice into a body of water doesn’t seem to have left anything down there! Perhaps the authorities will wait until the sightseers melt away before they cordon off the area and attempt a removal of the portion that crashed through the ice.
The “show& tell” by Russian authorities of small pieces of meteoric material is not convincing, an expected ploy to use if they wanted to hide the truth and to present a natural explanation.
Perhaps the Russian general’s assertion that it was a piece of US hardware is another ploy. Or was it a cover for it being something of their own or even something not originating from Earth?
The estimate of the object having a velocity of 42,000 mph is not enough to say that only a meteor can travel that fast. That velocity is about twice that of a shuttle, our rocket craft. But if we want to factor in the special physics the triangles into the picture, then our scope of possibilities becomes more encompassing. Perhaps, for example, a ship from the US Space Force, one returning from a quick trip to the Moon, had a failure of its systems as it began to reduce its high-speed velocity, and as a consequence, literally crashed into the atmosphere at 42,000 mph. We’ve seen similar things happen with our technologies. Why not with secret vehicles we are told nothing about but which we continually see and know to exist?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Aside of these specifics I find it damn interesting that you could be at the impact location of said meteorite and experience the impact explosion instantly...while having to wait some time afterwards to experience the explosions that happened en rout...so essentially you would have experienced things backwards from the timeline that they actually happened...

guess I'm a dork and find that pretty cool.

Anyway this is my first comment in the meteor threads but I have to say that this was damn cool and my head has been turned towards the sky lately in the hopes of witnessing something similar...its not every day a meteor of that size and velocity comes in and makes another ordinary day into something freaking awesome...

As far as conspiracies go...I don't see any as the result of this "event" isn't very beneficial to anyone...from pretty much any perspective. I at one point thought about kinetic weapon platforms doing a test but testing it out on Russia makes little to no sense considering there is no benefit to outing what would otherwise be a secret tech.

Also, if this happened in the US...it would have been so blown out of drastic, cataclysmic proportions that we would make a holiday out of it, and the flag would be at half mass. The Russians imho showed great restraint after such an event as I think if this happened in the US people would have flown off the handle and ran down the highways purses flinging in the air as if it were the beginning of revelations...

From the videos I've seen the Russians showed a bit of surprise with a flinch here or there and some laughs...had that happened here in the US...it would have been a completely different story.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by CX

I know you didn't ask me, but a better question would be, at what size are they able to find them?

99% of the city killers like the one that missed us haven't been found yet, according to the planetary society. They're hard to find.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately and I've been wondering how practical it would be to intercept some of these NEO's and "paint" them with something that would make them extremely visible to telescopes using specific filters (IR) as well as possibly attaching some kind of GPS tracking device that can also record the orbits more "accurately" and possibly any perturbations in said orbit due to "other" objects effecting the orbit of said NEO....

I know that NASA has been working on tech/logistics involved in comet/asteroid hunting and utilizing satellites to intercept and examine. I don't know how practical that would be with meteoroids though considering how much smaller they are.

The fact we cannot 100% dectect all NEO's (mostly meteoroids) is concerning considering they can do significant damage if placed well. May not be a world ender but it would be enough to be a threat to major cities.

edit on 18-2-2013 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by solargeddon
I always thought they had to be 1km in size to be considered worthy of watching...I found this on wiki...

Objects that cannot approach closer to the Earth (i.e. MOID) than 0.05 AU (7,500,000 km; 4,600,000 mi), or are smaller than about 150 m (500 ft) in diameter (i.e. H = 22.0 with assumed albedo of 13%), are not considered PHOs.[1]
Since that says smaller than 150m is not considered hazardous, I put a 149m rock into an impact calculator with some other figures to see what the predicted effect would be...seems kind of hazardous to me since the crater would be over 27 football fields wide and almost 6 football fields deep (output slightly edited for readability):

impact.ese.ic.ac.uk...

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 1000.00 meters ( = 3280.00 feet )
Projectile diameter: 149.00 meters ( = 489.00 feet )
Projectile Density: 2500 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 25.00 km per second ( = 15.50 miles per second )
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 1.35 x 10^18 Joules = 323 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 15,000 years

Major Global Changes:
The Earth is not strongly disturbed by the impact and loses negligible mass.
The impact does not make a noticeable change in the tilt of Earth's axis (< 5 hundreths of a degree).
The impact does not shift the Earth's orbit noticeably.

Atmospheric Entry:
The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 65700 meters = 215000 ft
The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 16 km/s = 9.92 miles/s
The impact energy is 5.53 x 10^17 Joules = 132 MegaTons.
The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.915 km by 0.647 km

Crater Dimensions:
Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.

Transient Crater Diameter: 2.19 km ( = 1.36 miles )
Transient Crater Depth: 776 meters ( = 2550 feet )

Final Crater Diameter: 2.74 km ( = 1.7 miles )
Final Crater Depth: 584 meters ( = 1920 feet )
The crater formed is a simple crater

The floor of the crater is underlain by a lens of broken rock debris (breccia) with a maximum thickness of 271 meters ( = 888 feet ).
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.00348 km3 = 0.000835 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater

Ejecta:

Your position was inside the transient crater and ejected upon impact
So that's not potentially hazardous to the planet, but it could wipe out a city. That's well below 1km and worth watching, if we could see it. I think they are hard to find, since they aren't that big and can be pretty dark.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Question for you Phage.......at what size do they start following these chunks of rock?

Any size that is detected. But the ability to detect them depends on a mix of factors. The ability to "follow" them depends on the number of observations that are made of each.

As the smallest asteroid detected by Spacewatch and designated by the MPC, its estimated size is between 5 - 9 meters in diameter, calculated as a function its absolute magnitude (H = 29.2). An object of this size poses no threat to the Earth, despite its close proximity on Sept 19.
spacewatch.lpl.arizona.edu...

2012 DA14 was first seen last February. It wasn't "recovered" until January. But the fact that it was recovered shows how accurate the initial orbital calculations were.

Here's a partial list:
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 2/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Senduko

Yep. They are.
And the small, extremely heavy one that streaked across Russia's really cold sky, came in unexpectedly like some will. I think I heard somewhere, that it came in from ( sort of) the direction of the sun so no one ( telescopes ) saw it in the glare, until it was there ( in Russia ).

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by InnerPeace2012

You seem to imply that the authorities were lax in some way. Do you think it was known that the meteor was going to arrive?

No and that is my point of it.

All I am saying is that, if it is not picked up by the authorities, for the mere fact of it's size and or the angle to which the next one approaches, you can be rest assured that a warning from the authorities will only come *after* the event as done it's damage.

What other classic example other than that in Russia.

Peace

Please go take a look at NASA's Near Earth Object (NEO) program.

NEO program

There are limitations as to what is possible; Finding every object less than 50 meters in diameter will take a very long time.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Where is everyone's sense of discrimination and trust in their own eyes?

Didn't anyone see anything at a lower altitude than 15km which is roughly 45,000 feet?

What were the twin smoke trails running horizontally to the surface of the land mass at only a thousand feet in altitude? Why did all cell phones die from the explosion? Hasn't anyone ever heard of EMP bombs? Didn't anyone listen to the recent threat by the Russians have having gained technology of a new bomb type? Does anyone know that 33 is a Magical number for Freemasons worldwide? Who calculated the energy release at 33 times Hiroshima? Could this be a Masonic Message to not cause trouble, not investigate, not contradict the official disinformation?

Watch the videos and trust your eyes before the local news blurbs.

GS

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join