It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lawsuit: Race-based request sidelined Michigan nurse

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ok this is a "local" story for me..you can see local updates here

Nurse settles lawsuit

I have 3 kids and one was in neonatal for a short time..I feel like it IS the parents choice who cares for their child.

That being said this lawsuit ticks me off, really it infuriates me..So she feels pissed that what - She was reassigned to a different child?In no way shape or form did They fire her.They did not demote her, they did not reprimand her, they just reassigned her to a different baby.

Seriously she needs to get over it..What if something went wrong and the man lost it and attacked her because she was black? All the hospital did IMO was diffuse a situation before anything went wrong..

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

According to local stories she was not told why she was reassigned..She went looking through the file and stumbled upon it..

she found a note in a patient's file stating, "No African American nurse to take care of baby.

source

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Good for him.

Started his business before Obama. Try getting a new government contract now. Try it in DC where you either have to be a DBE (Disadvantaged business entity), minority owned or woman owned.

I speak from experience.

My business is just started. I currently work for a black owned (also woman owned) company and we work for the government. To get a contract, either you or one of your subs MUST be a DBE or no contract for you.

I don't mind though...the people are nice. Just that it is what it is.....
edit on 24-2-2013 by HandyDandy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
First off I must say, if this was the other way around it wouldn’t have made a headline. For example… black caucus, black Miss America, Negro college fund, black business owners association, any number of black news, black entertainment televisions etc. There is no white Miss America, white caucus, Caucasian college fund, white entertainment television etc. Now I know I will be berated for this but, if this customer, and that’s what he is a customer, asks for particular doctors or nurses I think that is his right, as a paying customer. I know whites have become so sensitive and scared that we can’t say what we feel without first thinking if it offends gays, lesbians, muslims, blacks, Mexicans, Injuns, women, liberals, cat lovers, dog lovers, amputees, people that wear glasses, fat people, skinny people, vegetarians, environmentalists, single moms, two mommy families, two daddy families, hybrid drivers…, and it may be considered racist (whether it is or not) by anyone, blacks, muslim, mexican, Inuit people, Asians, islanders etc. This guy has a right to decide who he wants in the hospital. If you go to a doctor’s office and there are 3 foreign doctors and one American doctor do you close your eyes and pick or can you pick who you want for whatever reason? Why would this be considered racist if picking a school because it’s all female or considered a black college or a haircut joint because they do black hair styles isn’t considered racist? I ask ya?

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Personally I don't want to follow this story because if she wins I will be furious! This woman should lose her job and never be hired in a medical profession again! Risking your job security cause you think you can get big bucks is a losers bet... Like I said before this probably happens all the time, blacks,asian,jews,arabs, probably ask for a specific race to take care of them or their children, I am also sure that most of those nurses and doctors already know this, so when they're asked to take care of a specific person for this reason,than it's no big deal.....

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Battle, who has worked at the hospital for 25 years, is seeking unspecified damages.

(interesting name in this case)

Racism seems to always strike a cord with people, but I find the fact that this woman is "seeking damages" equally disgusting.

Damages? What was damaged exactly? Her feelings??

So what.

If this doctor would have been a black MALE, it would not even of made the news.

This is less about race, and more about some woman's feelings that got butthurt and therefore someone needs to PAY.

Welcome to your post-feminist utopia !

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmericaNeedsToWakeUp

I'm not sure what I find more disturbing. That this happened, or that you can always log on and find WHITE racists trying to excuse such behavior. Yet the vast majority of tea partiers and conservatives will swear up and down that they possess absolutely no racist tendencies whatsoever. Typical WHITE people.

And your rant is suppose to be against racism? SERIOUSLY???

edit on 24-2-2013 by Telos because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Everyone one do have the freedom of choice. Either accept what is given or to walk away.

In nations whereby racism or religious supremacy is declared an offence, then all biz institutions and PUBLIC operators must observe and honor the WILL of the people in a civilised society.

That skinhead needs re-education, but do have a choice. He can have his child either born in another country where racism is worshipped, or to follow the law of the land. The airports are open 24/7.

The nurse did the right thing. Even though if she won, it will be the TAXPAYERS whom will have to pay her compensation, it is but only a WAKE UP call to both legislators and citizens on the neglect of the state and institutions that had broken the law of the land, and are still continuing to do so.

If left unchecked, and they get away with it, chaos and trust in the RULE OF LAW will be destroyed. Thus, those responsible must be held ACCOUNTABLE, and made to pay the price.

If that hospital is an american private institution, it had broken anti-discrimination laws and will be punished, so that no one else or biz enterprise thinks what they do is ok. If it had been a Public institution, then the head administrator must be punished, or the elected legislators of the land - governors, mayors, senators, representatives - will pay the price of being booted out for their oversight neglect and dereliction of duty to its state and People.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Racism is alive and well, it never left, it just got buried in a closet somewhere.

It's sickening that the nurse would try and sue for damages, she will obviously lose the case. I would just proceed to tarnish the reputation of the accused.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Everyone one do have the freedom of choice. Either accept what is given or to walk away.

In nations whereby racism or religious supremacy is declared an offence, then all biz institutions and PUBLIC operators must observe and honor the WILL of the people in a civilised society.

That skinhead needs re-education, but do have a choice. He can have his child either born in another country where racism is worshipped, or to follow the law of the land. The airports are open 24/7.

The nurse did the right thing. Even though if she won, it will be the TAXPAYERS whom will have to pay her compensation, it is but only a WAKE UP call to both legislators and citizens on the neglect of the state and institutions that had broken the law of the land, and are still continuing to do so.

If left unchecked, and they get away with it, chaos and trust in the RULE OF LAW will be destroyed. Thus, those responsible must be held ACCOUNTABLE, and made to pay the price.

If that hospital is an american private institution, it had broken anti-discrimination laws and will be punished, so that no one else or biz enterprise thinks what they do is ok. If it had been a Public institution, then the head administrator must be punished, or the elected legislators of the land - governors, mayors, senators, representatives - will pay the price of being booted out for their oversight neglect and dereliction of duty to its state and People.

You're contradicting yourself.

You open by saying that "everyone has a freedom of choice" then follow that by saying the man (there is no evidence he is a skin head/nazi/etc) needs "re-education" and should "follow the law of the land" or leave the country

What LAW did he exactly break?

Have you ever heard of the Patients Bill of Rights?

He is a CUSTOMER and the employees at the hospital are there to SERVE HIM.

People can argue about his request being racist or in bad taste all day long. The fact remains he had the RIGHT to make the request he did, and it was followed as per hospital protocol.

To say he should be "re-educated" and should "leave the country" because he is "breaking he law" not only exemplifies your ignorance on the matter, but displays your misunderstanding of the meaning of freedom in general.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSnow
Racism is alive and well, it never left, it just got buried in a closet somewhere.

It's sickening that the nurse would try and sue for damages, she will obviously lose the case. I would just proceed to tarnish the reputation of the accused.

She didn't lose. She won.

The amount hasn't been made public however.

I see another nurse has "come forward" now... trying to follow the money trail

Carlotta Armstrong claims "she also was harmed because of the incident last year." and "suffered extreme emotional distress and mental anguish."

Seriously?

This happened last year by the way. Now that Tonya Battle has received her "payout" suddenly the "forgotten victims" come out with their hands open?

My feeeeeelinggssss were hurrrttttt sob sob sob. But it's taken me a year to realize asking for money is the right thing to do.

Yeah right.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

You are the one who not only contridict yourself, you delude yourself and live in a fantasy world.

There is a difference between RIGHTS and LAWFUL RESPONSIBILITIES.

The rule of law takes precedence over individual's rights.

By your deluded reasoning, do you HAVE the right to buy and keep someone as a slave today? And discriminate against him?

YOU DON'T. NOT IN USA.

But if it is your desire to discriminate and enslave others and whatever personal rights you dream up, you are free to fly to somewhere else where you can practice your delusions of personal granduer. A tip for you, the Moon right now is uninhabited.
edit on 24-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Actually on second thoughts I remember how severe the penalties for racism were in the UK. It's a good thing, but the nurse should not have sued if it was only words. Greed will be the downfall of mankind.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by HIWATT

You are the one who not only contridict yourself, you delude yourself and live in a fantasy world.

There is a difference between RIGHTS and LAWFUL RESPONSIBILITIES.

The rule of law takes precedence over individual's rights.

By your deluded reasoning, do you HAVE the right to buy and keep someone as a slave today? And discriminate against him?

YOU DON'T. NOT IN USA.

But if it is your desire to discriminate and enslave others and whatever personal rights you dream up, you are free to fly to somewhere else where you can practice your delusions of personal granduer. A tip for you, the Moon right now is uninhabited.
edit on 24-2-2013 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

We aren't talking about slavery.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Cut the BS. Just admit you were wrong, and try to correct your errors.

Your emphasis had been 'personal inidividual rights', and that can easily mean anything and everything. If you cannot abide by the laws of the land, the airports are open 24/7, and there is no law right now for you to fly to the moon by yourself if you have that capability.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
For people who like to make the "if it was the other way around" type of arguments, you can't just replace one black person with a white person and pretend like you have the same scenario. Common oversights such as this show the complete disconnection and detachment most white people living in a white society are unable to acknowledge even exist.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

reply to post by HIWATT

Cut the BS. Just admit you were wrong, and try to correct your errors.

Your emphasis had been 'personal inidividual rights', and that can easily mean anything and everything. If you cannot abide by the laws of the land, the airports are open 24/7, and there is no law right now for you to fly to the moon by yourself if you have that capability.

Cut what BS

He broke no law making the request he did. Further to that, the hospital is required to abide by said request.

You keep referring to the "law". Please cite a reference to the law that this man broke. Or clam it.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This has gotten out of control and this nurse is looking to make a buck.

It was the fathers RIGHT to request this no matter how much people may disagree, it's HIS child.

This country is so sue happy when feelings are hurt. People need to grow a back bone and move on. I get so tired of people suing for every little thing that happens to them that they don't like or that hurts their feelings.

The father is a jerk yes but again it's his child and his right.

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
This has gotten out of control and this nurse is looking to make a buck.

It was the fathers RIGHT to request this no matter how much people may disagree, it's HIS child.

This country is so sue happy when feelings are hurt. People need to grow a back bone and move on. I get so tired of people suing for every little thing that happens to them that they don't like or that hurts their feelings.

The father is a jerk yes but again it's his child and his right.

Starred in agreement.

This has already gotten so ridiculous that people in this thread are actually referencing "slavery"

Please....

Here's what happened in short form for those having trouble following:

1. Man goes to hospital with child, requests it be attended by non-black staff
2. Hospital (being bound to uphold the request) agrees
3. female staff member sees note stating Fathers request
4. female staff member's rationalization hamster goes into overdrive and she decides to sue
5. Hospital gives in to the political pressure - awards "damages"
6. ATS thread posted, members start raging about Rosa Parks

edit on 24-2-2013 by HIWATT because: spelling

posted on Feb, 24 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

He broke no law making the request he did.
true, however, he did overtly present himself as a 'hostile' customer.
(showing tatoo to substantiate his request)

Further to that, the hospital is required to abide by said request.
Wrong, especially in a public institution.
and, any action of the 'establishment' in support of such a discriminatory request should be met with resistance and punishment ... which of course, the amicable settlement proves it was.

personally, i still think he & the child should have been offered the door (AMA - against medical advice) and given a list of private caregivers ... the rest he could 'demand' as he sees fit

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join