It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists unveil new detectors in race to save Earth from next asteroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well, it looks like the wake up call has had some positive results. The title of the article is slightly misleading. They are actually unveiling plans for new systems to detect smaller near earth objects before they hit us.

SOURCE

Science editor Robin McKie reports from Boston as experts create warning systems to minimise risk from impact

The extraterrestrial double whammy that Earth only partially avoided on Friday has triggered an immediate response from astronomers. Several have announced plans to create state-of-the-art detection systems to give warning of incoming asteroids and meteoroids. These include projects backed by Nasa as well as proposals put forward by private space contractors.

The fact that the two events happened together has been dismissed as "a cosmic coincidence" by scientists. Nevertheless, astronomers – many gathered at the American Association for the Advancement of Science annual meeting in Boston this weekend – have been quick to reassure the public that they have plans to provide better warnings of future impacts.

Astronomers believe they have pinpointed all large asteroids whose orbits bring them close to Earth. To date, none has been found on a collision course with our planet. However, small asteroids only a few dozen metres across are very difficult to spot but massive enough to cause local devastation.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Now I think all Governments need to seriously consider the funding for this. Let them once make a truly wise decison, no more frakking around. Savvy.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I don't really see any indication that the "wake up call" had anything to do with it, other than call attention to ongoing projects. Not a bad thing mind you but it's not as if there has been a sudden call to action.

Deep Space Industries is a new company. They see an opportunity to obtain funding for their mining project as a result of recent events.
en.wikipedia.org...

The UH project has been under development for a couple of years.
arxiv.org...

edit on 2/17/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I just posted this in another thread;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope it helps.

-----------------------------------------

I don't post very much, just mostly read and move on, but as soon as I clicked on this thread, I knew I had seen the image in the OPs video somewhere else.

I suck at posting images but here is the link to a site called GIZMAG,
www.gizmag.com...

The image in the OPs video is the same one posted in this article about "Deep Space Industries", here is what the first part of the article has to say;

(Russian meteor strike prompts call for asteroid sentries)

" On the same day that a meteor exploded over Russia injuring almost a thousand people and an asteroid passed too close to Earth for comfort, the asteroid-mining company Deep Space Industries (DSI) proposes setting up sentry lines in space to track and study rogue asteroids posing a threat to Earth. Using technology originally intended for prospecting for water and minerals on asteroids, the sentry lines of satellites would provide information for deflecting potentially dangerous near-Earth objects."

I am curious now, did the guy who made the video just make a fake one using that image, or did this company actually use the technology already.

Here is more of the article;
"According to DSI, there are over 10,000 near Earth asteroids big enough to destroy a city and 900 more are discovered every year, yet very little is known about them. DSI’s proposal is to deploy sentry lines of satellites to track and intercept rogue asteroids to determine their threat and how to counter them.

The DSI plan is to set up its FireFly satellites to detect and track rogue asteroids. The FireFly was originally designed to target candidate asteroids for mining operations based on value, return times and learn their composition, structure and spin rate. These would be followed by small probes to intercept asteroids and gather close-up data on their structure and composition that would be important in deflecting them.

According to David Gump, CEO of Deep Space Industries, “Placing ten of our small FireFly spacecraft into position to intercept close encounters would take four years and less than US$100 million. This will help the world develop the understanding needed to block later threats.”

Interesting how the article talks about "Deflecting" these space rocks, "Intercepting Close Encounters" and in the end says "develop the understanding needed to block later threats".

Interesting stuff for sure.

top topics

join