It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new Segway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

It�s the sincere incomprehension of the true believer, and it sucks me in. Of course not, I decide�if I had an HT, I�d never walk again! I�m here, three years after the hyped introduction of the HT�the original Segway�to be the first outsider to view its sequel, which the development team has code-named Centaur. As we plod in our pedestrian way across the floor, past palettes stacked eight high and two deep with boxed HTs ready for shipping (whether this is a sign of success or failure, it�s hard to say), I mentally scroll through all the PR I�ve been fed about the Centaur. It�s a gyro-stabilized indoor/outdoor ATV that can reconfigure itself to glide on two wheels. It�s twice as fast as an HT but equally clean and quiet. �It�s like nothing you�ve ever seen before,� Segway�s chief technology officer, Doug Field, had told me during an earlier phone conversation. �If the HT is the helicopter, this is the Harrier jet. It can hover, but it can also be in a high-speed configuration when that�s advantageous.�

www.popsci.com...

Segways are used almost everywhere from theme parks to shopping malls but this one doesnt look as convienient as the others, What do you think?

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I think I **WANT** one!!!

wowsers!

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think the Segway president forgets that normal people dont have a load of money sitting around to buy something that only goes 25 mph and needs to be recharged after 10-15 miles.
- cool concept, but impracticle.

[edit on 30-10-2004 by Murcielago]

[edit on 30-10-2004 by Murcielago]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
```

and neither graphic looks like 'it' could benefit me personally....

i guess i'll stick with the InvaCare & Rascal & Ranger II models...
that i'm accoustomed to

.048%

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The best way to use such a useless invention like the Segway is in wheelchairs, like I saw yesterday on Euronews.

A wheelchair like the one in this video really gives another freedom to some one who previously had to get accustomed to the need of help from other people to do simple things.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
why dont people just use their legs? or if they want to get technical get a bike??? i dont get why people are so lazy that they need a segway to get around

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by denseuno
why dont people just use their legs? or if they want to get technical get a bike??? i dont get why people are so lazy that they need a segway to get around

I would partially agree, but for instance some police forces use them for daily patrol, i see nothing wrong with that. But the average person really doesn't need one, unless your loaded and just want another toy.

But I like technology, so thats why I dont like to use the word lazy. For instance, I could call you lazy for uses a remote to turn channels on your tv, or I could call you lazy for driving to work rather then running. Get my point.

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Hmmm, looks kinda familiar. I think I must currently drive the MkIII model.

Me little MCC....

posted on Oct, 31 2004 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

I would partially agree, but for instance some police forces use them for daily patrol, i see nothing wrong with that. But the average person really doesn't need one, unless your loaded and just want another toy.

But I like technology, so thats why I dont like to use the word lazy. For instance, I could call you lazy for uses a remote to turn channels on your tv, or I could call you lazy for driving to work rather then running. Get my point.

i get your point but, police using for patrols? the cops are even lazier than me! i keep getting visions in my head of oj simpson's low speed pursuit with a pack of segways chasing him.

but it would take me about 5 hours of running to get to work. i do completly agree that i am lazy for using the remote though. but instead of spending a fortune to buy a segway, why dont people just go buy a $100 electric razor scooter and get basically the same top speed? minus all the cool features

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 09:51 AM
link   
i wonder.. do you think Bush would fall of this segway too?
I think it just looks like a futuristic 4wheeler, and id rather just charge round on my old one instead of buying that flash new thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
The four-wheeled segway is a pussified version of an ATV.

That is like driving a small tractor to work rather than a car.

[edit on 1-11-2004 by DetectivePerez]

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:51 AM
link   

This is cooler i think....2004 Peugeot Quark Concept

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Whooooops.....What happened there?Sorry,dunno how that happened.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by denseuno

There's a class of people who aren't truly handicapped and yet need something like this.

Have you ever seen someone with arthritisof the knees or hips? It may not be severe enough to put you in a wheelchair, but long walks just damage things more and walking quickly can be real agony.

Arthritis isn't just age related.

People with fibromyalgia have similar problems on some days -- and there are a host of other issues where there's occasional mobility problems.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PARALYZ

This is cooler i think....2004 Peugeot Quark Concept

I wish someone would bring out models like this with motorcycle engines.

You have enough 4 wheel crossbikes(ATV's) but it would be so damn nice to have a 4 wheel speed bike. Like a racecar with a motorcycle position for the pilot.

Dang, dreaming now.

That thing with a Busa engine ... hmmmmm

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
will this do The Matrix.

Its the Tomahawk, it has a Viper engine.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
here's a class of people who aren't truly handicapped and yet need something like this.

i agree, sort of, but i see more things wrong with it than right.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
here's a class of people who aren't truly handicapped and yet need something like this.

i agree, sort of, but i see more things wrong with it than right.

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 07:39 PM
link   
sorry for the double post

posted on Nov, 1 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by seedy_sid
i wonder.. do you think Bush would fall of this segway too?

Bingo.

Bushproofing the Segway is important for future sales to the unco-ordinated.

I didn't expect to see a Mk II this soon. The world's footpaths and roads aren't ready yet.

top topics

join