It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the METEORS ARE REAL!! i just saw 2 miami fl

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ooYODAoo

I saw something burn up as it was falling in my town. I think it was in late january. It burned out as it fell.. it burned green as i remember.

I see one every once in a while in my city. Usually around the same time of year but not every year. Yes meteors are real

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   

What are you shouting about ? Did someone suggest that meteors are not real?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I wonder if these bollide/fireballs have anything to do with this:

February Eta Draconids (otherwise known as the FEDS
)

New Meteor Shower Discovered; May Uncover New Comet
February Eta Draconids could be sign of hazardous comet, scientists say.
Published August 10, 2011

For the first time since 2007, astronomers have spotted a new meteor shower over Earth.

And while this sky show may not be as dazzling as the upcoming Perseids, it could provide the seeds for locating a mysterious and potentially hazardous comet.

Scientists with the Cameras for All-sky Meteor Surveillance (CAMS) project observed the handful of faint shooting stars on the night of February 4. "I was really surprised to find that, over a seven-hour period, we managed to snap images of six meteors racing across the sky at nearly 80,000 miles [129,000 kilometers] an hour, all coming from the same direction," said study leader Peter Jenniskens, an astronomer at the SETI Institute and the NASA Ames Research Center in Mountain View, California.

"I knew immediately that they were all related and represented a new shower."

As with other established meteor showers, the new meteors are named for the constellation from which they appear to radiate—in this case, the northern constellation Draco, near the star Eta Draconis. Since there's already a shower called the Eta Draconids that peaks in April, this new one has been dubbed the February Eta Draconids.

Most meteor showers are created when dust shed by a passing comet or asteroid enters Earth's atmosphere, and astronomers have been able to trace the known meteor showers back to their parent bodies.

The calculated orbit of the new debris stream doesn't match the orbit of the known parent of the April Eta Draconids. So for now, no one knows which object is responsible for the February shower—or how close that body might get to Earth in the future.

"By calculating out the orbit of the meteoritic dust trail, it appears the parent comet definitely crosses Earth's orbit—making it something we want to investigate further," Jenniskens said.

(Related: "New Comet Found; May Be Visible From Earth in 2013.")

More info here...
National Geographic

My bolding...

Maybe this meteor shower is closer right now than we expected ?

Thoughts anyone ?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

Bolides aren't known to be associated with cometary meteor showers.

But as has been pointed out several times, there isn't really anything unusual about the recent fireball reports. Except that, because of the asteroid and the meteor in Russia, the press is all over every one of them.

It has also been pointed out that there has been some speculation about what are called February Fireballs.

The results are controversial, however. Even Halliday recognized some big statistical uncertainties in his results.

science.nasa.gov...

edit on 2/18/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yes, I read that which is what made me think of this new FEDS... since they're not sure of the origin of these February fireballs.

I'm wondering if perhaps this C/2011 L4 (PANSTARRS) that's passing by (albeit from very far away) in March this year could be stirring up some rocks, thus causing these "February fireballs" ?

They seem to think that this comet is a one-time pass this year... but maybe it hasn't been in the past...?

Just thinking out loud...

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 04:49 PM
link   

maybe an asteroid belt the earth passing thru that were not being told about.......... now that i think about it could be the reason for all the so called elites building bunkers

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

And when that giant jigsaw puzzle is finally complete what do you see the big picture as?

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

That's what I was thinking, too.
Didn't a report just come out saying that the Pope was going to be going into seclusion and the public weren't going to be seeing him anymore? Underground bunker maybe? I'll have to locate this article.
Strange times indeed!

Here's the very short report:
www.aljazeera.com...

Pope Benedict XVI told a meeting of priests that he plans to spend his future in seclusion.

"Even if I am withdrawing into prayer I will always be close to all of you and I am sure you will be close to me. ... Even if I remain hidden to the world," he said.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

He is retiring not bunkering down. Reports say he is blind in his left eye and his hearing is failing and he is so thin that they are having a time of it keeping his robes from slipping off. Sounds more like he is old and wants to live out the rest of his days less in the public service in quiet servitude to his God.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

And as common as shooting stars are I have never seen one myself. I have been at the beach and my kids saw them and my hubby but I have never been fortunate enough to be looking the right way at the right time.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Here is 2 we caught in new york today

alot of reports coming in huh
edit on 18-2-2013 by diggsnicca because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Its just where our attention is at the moment. I never realized how many peopple drove a Lincoln Town Car until I bought one and then I saw them everywhere. When I was pregnant I saw other pregnant women everywhere. There were not more lincolns or pregnant women just my attention to them changed. Its called heightened preception. It happens to all of us. Right now everyone is noticing meteors or shooting stars.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

We see the space station all the time. You just have to be looking in the right place at the right time.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NoSoup4U

It was a satellite. Just the way you describe it motion. Or it was the reptillians.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The meteors are real??? Are you for real?

So you thought they were fake? Jesus Christ, people really should get out more man, not everything is lies and not every story is a conspiracy

link   

*our atmosphere has somehow been diminished and these rocks that used to burn out, are now piercing effortlessly into earth.

Does no one remember all those stories about the holes in the Ozone layer?

I'm not really sure if it would allow what you are saying....but I swear, it's like no one remembers that stuff.

link   

Note it is an increase in SIGHTINGS. Not an increase in meteors. Bigger population, easier communications around the world and whamo more sightings. Makes perfect sense.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by homeslice

Along with the use of cell phones and social media so these reports come to more peoples attention.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I heard it was only three feet wide.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61560
reply to post by Klassified

And as common as shooting stars are I have never seen one myself. I have been at the beach and my kids saw them and my hubby but I have never been fortunate enough to be looking the right way at the right time.

Keep looking up. You're bound to see one sooner or later. The last one I saw was a "doozy". A good size, bright, and close to the ground before burning out.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Yes, I read that which is what made me think of this new FEDS... since they're not sure of the origin of these February fireballs.

If you know what you are doing, it's actually very simple to identify a meteor as belonging to a particular meteor shower since every meteor shower has it's own radiant.

Most big fireballs (as Phage rightly said) are not connected with comets, and we can say this with certainty because of what I wrote above (and also because some big falls leave behind meteorites for us to study). Instead, we know that big fireballs are generally due to asteroidal material, and that they originate in the asteroid belt. The real question is why is there an increase around February?

It's also unlikely to be connected with C/2011 L4 in the sense that it is "stirring up some rocks" since February fireballs have been happening for a long time, and we can reconstruct the orbits of comets accurately a long way in to the past, so we can rule out known objects.

You may well be right that something is responsible for stirring up the asteroid belt in order to cause the February fireballs though - we just haven't found a likely candidate yet, if there is one.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join