It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Happened... My First "Old Man" Injury.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
That is a nasty injury you have there Heff..

Fortunately enough I am a very busy dude and have no time to get old.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Is it too late to amend my OP and, through a bit of revisionist history claim that a dog tripped me???

If it's not too late... I'm going to need pictures of a dog. I haven't had one since my ex claimed our beagle, when we broke up.

Here ya go Heff...your new Pet....

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Des

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
LOL and you used to probably laugh well i did but now might reconsider the the life alert system

The 3 second mark is what I bet heff sounded and probably looked like .. just cuz
edit on 18/2/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I've read other replies that pretty much sum up my response.

Heff....this is not an "Old Man" injury.

Therefore, there will be no poking fun of your geriatric state of existence...not from me, no sir

All kidding aside, I have done this very thing to myself....twice!....Same ankle no less.

I will admit, the first time it happened...well, I wasn't very familiar with the skill of drinking in moderation. Yeah, I probably had that one coming...the high heels didn't help

The second time though...I was just leaving a comedy club and you know they usually only have a two drink minimum so....yeah, and um ...oh, and I'm sure the stupid high heels had nothing to do with that incident either.

Stupid shoes

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:06 AM
link   
old age is not for sissies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know someone who has flat feet and broke a bone just because he was walking barefoot!!!!!

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I feel your pain, I am 2 years your senior and after playing competitive sport from the age of 8, I struggle to get out of bed most mornings.
The crazy thing is I still play Cricket (doesn't look strenuous) at the age of 48 every saturday and it takes me until wednesday to recover.
I try to keep fit but its hard with arthiritic joints. All the best with your recuperation.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Man you are too funny.

posted on Jul, 14 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is why you shouldn't remain sedentary, and eat junk foods.

People with healthy lifestyles rarely have issues like this.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Heff there are a lot of us silverbacks that thought we were human forklifts when we were younger. We sucked it up and kept playing. We acted like it didn't hurt that bad. We found every way we could to prove we were as tough as superman. However, there comes a day of reckoning, when our bodies proclaim to the world that we are not forklifts, not the toughest guy on the field, and certainly not superman. That is when we start living vicariously through our grandchildren, encouraging them to suck it up and get back into the game. But you aren't there yet! So suck it up and get back in there!

edit on 06/02/2011 by grayeagle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

File under: $%it happens.

To resolve the swelling and pain fast, I mean very fast. Get some clay, most any kind will work, but bentonite is good and common. Dissolve a lot of clay, say two cups, in apple cider vinegar - mix until like heavy mud, not too liquidy. Then take the clay concoction and wrap the ankle to calf, and all of the foot with as much as you can, and wrap the whole shebang in plastic wrap - or plastic bag if you prefer. Keep your foot up or even above the body, and let it sit for as long as you can, hours is best. This will remove the pain chemicals, the swelling and return things to normal pretty quickly - repeat if needed. THEN head to the chiro of your choice and have it put back, you most likely moved a few bones and ligaments, not just one, and didn't break it - not quite old enough for brittle bones.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I'm not into the old man injuries yet. I'm still dealing with the stupid idiot injuries.

I was showing off to my son in law how sharp an old hand made knife I had was and hacked off a chunk of paper with a little flick of the knife. That blade was sharp as a razor. Well, the tip of my thumb went "bye bye" and I had to go to the doctors. Oh well, two weeks later and it's all healed. Who needs a round thumb anyway
I taught my granddaughter a great lesson that day about risky practices, I guess I needed to show her so she would see it first hand....or thumb. I took the knife over to show here how to filet a fish. I never got to teach her that day, I'll show her this week.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Sorry for your injury Heff, and I know you don't know me 'cause I don't post much. I read a lot though and I feel that I know you. I have to kind of agree with the poster above who said that keeping a healthy lifestyle will go a long way toward preventing these types of injuries. I'll be 55 this year and I run 3 miles a day and lift weights and I honestly don't have these issues - psyche!

About 3 years ago, I slipped in the snow and fell off my deck and slammed on my back on the steps below and thought my life was surely over! I couldn't get out of my recliner for 3 weeks! To top it off, my wife and I had just had our first baby 2 weeks prior to that and the night I was hurt he developed colic... She might have killed me if I wasn't so pathetic. After a couple courses of steroids I finally did recover.

I do regularly participate in the activities I mentioned above, but I have to say, we can't turn back time. I think the only thing to do is to live like we are oblivious to our age and just keep exercising mind and body. I still play guitar and sing in a rock band, have hobbies that range from building guitar effects to model airplanes, and also keep my pitching arm limber with a pitch-back in the back yard so I can still play catch with my little ones when they are old enough.

I say little ones because my wife and I are expecting our second child early next year. I'll be 55 by then and I already have 3 grandchildren - maybe 4 by then. My younger son from my first marriage is having his second child, due the same time as my next one, what a crazy ride this is!

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Although this ones not funny, my husband had his first stroke last week at the age of 38! It happened at work. They called it a TIA. We have a 12 & 8 yr old. Now, hubs dad, had his 1st heart attack at 42, last & final at 62, older sis died at age 1 from a missing heart valve, & his Bro was born with a pin size hole in his heart. The cardio doc. insists its hereditary! Try telling my 80 yr old senile mother in law that! She insists it is NOT hereditary.....long story short, he hates taking all of his "old man" medicine & refuses to stop working! Meanwhile I'm going nuts trying to find good life insurance!!! UUGGHH....sorry, didnt mean to derail your thread, I'm feeling overwhelmed & I need great life insurance incase the worse should happen, especially with two little guys to worry about.....

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

You better make him do what the doctors say he should do with all your might! Seriously, my wife's father died stubbornly at the age of 44 needlessly because he wouldn't go to the hospital.

posted on Jul, 15 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Sorry to hear of your painful, debilitating injury. ( tee hee )
However you do realise that pride was the root cause?

Had you been using your walking frame, you could still do a little jig after bingo at the senior citizens club...

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Okay, old person injury here. I've done something to my back, and now I'm walking like an "old woman".
After grocery shopping this morning, then cooking lunch, I am now kicking back in the ole recliner with a heating pad and some Ibuprofen. I think I'm done for the day. Here's hoping I'm able to walk upright tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

edit on 16-7-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   

i remember when i was about 42. at work. i was on the floor on a creeper, under a big electric motor. as i rolled out and went to stand streaks of pain went through my back. and i went ohh with a groaning sound. one of my fellow employees looked at me and said, that's the sound my father makes.

i knew it was all down hill from there

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join