It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meteorite Fragments Found in Icy Urals Lake - Scientists

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Divers Find No Trace of Meteorite in Urals Lake

WAIT!...Just kidding...

I guess patience is a virtue...

Meteorite Fragments Found in Icy Urals Lake - Scientists

MOSCOW, February 17 (RIA Novosti) – The fragments of a meteorite that hit Russia’s Urals on Friday, injuring more than 1,000 people in the area, have been found by scientists in Lake Chebarkul, in the Chelyabinsk Region.

“We have just completed the study, we confirm that the particulate matters, found by our expedition in the area of Lake Chebarkul indeed have meteorite nature,” Viktor Grohovsky of the Urals Federal University said.

“This meteorite is an ordinary chondrite, it is a stony meteorite which contains some 10 percent of iron. It is most likely to be named Chebarkul meteorite,” Grohovsky said.

Source Article

Well there you have it...I guess this puts the U.S. weapons test to bed huh?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Is it just me that thinks picking up meteorites fresh from outer space barehanded is not a smart idea?? Who knows what type (IF ANY) bacteria, virus etc, could be lurking just to wipe us out.....I know tin foil hat time....

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
just as I suspected, an extremely hot object will shatter into small pieces when it is plunged into extremely cold water.

The dude that said it was an american secret weapons test is looking pretty foolish right now

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Some found, some didn't. I suppose it could be as simple as that, but maybe the story isn't over yet, although there is some info given here.
edit on 17-2-2013 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Obviously this is a psy-op.
Wow how blind can you people be.
The man holding that dried prune is obviously a hand-actor.

Deny ignorance please.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
just as I suspected, an extremely hot object will shatter into small pieces when it is plunged into extremely cold water.

The dude that said it was an american secret weapons test is looking pretty foolish right now

It had to be well spent anyway when you look at the hole in the lake ice, it is just a hole, no ejecta.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise
Is it just me that thinks picking up meteorites fresh from outer space barehanded is not a smart idea?? Who knows what type (IF ANY) bacteria, virus etc, could be lurking just to wipe us out.....I know tin foil hat time....

The meteorite exploded over a large area, I don't think that picking a small piece of what was a melting rock some days ago would make much difference.

Whatever it may have brought to Earth was already spread over Russia.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Actually have read meteorites are hot for very brief time - they spend eons in cold space and when they enter the atmosphere only the outermost regions of the bigger ones heat up intensely but that time exp friction is usually very brief, usually less than a minute or two, before it either totally disintegrates from the kinetic forces so that any bits that make it to the ground tend to cool back down surprisingly fast.

Of course little ones totally burn up and really big ones would - well, no one would be around to worry about singing their fingertips! But I'm just parroting what Ive read and of course arrogance is what leads to accidents, so I think I'd side with you in being cautious - never know what risks might be there (tho I'd certainly not hesitate scooping it up in say a jar!). :-)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Starwise

What is the average temperature of a re-entry object travelling in excess of ...i think the estimated speed was 40000 mph? Anyway if any bacteria were present they surely would be BARB-Q.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

Wait a minute... I thought I had it on good authority yesterday that that hole in the ice was made by a chainsaw! Now youre telling me it actually wasnt? My faith... its been shattered

edit on 2/17/2013 by CaticusMaximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by CaticusMaximus

Cutting a round hole in ice with a chainsaw would take all day.
The width of the cutting bar makes it nearly impossible to cut anything but a straight line (depending on the thickness of the ice and how much time you want to spend).

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThoughtIsMadness
reply to post by Starwise

What is the average temperature of a re-entry object travelling in excess of ...i think the estimated speed was 40000 mph? Anyway if any bacteria were present they surely would be BARB-Q.

yep exactly! and if any survived after going through all that well then I don`t think gloves would protect you very much from those die hard little buggers.
edit on 17-2-2013 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
They will find more in spring the lake is 30 to 36 feet deep with 5 ft. of lose mud on the bottom with zero visibility that makes searching harder than finding a needle in a haystack. Pretty sure the meteor shattered when submerging in subzero water.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I have feeling that lake is a Photo Op.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It's like a crop circle on ice!

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
What was that X-37B doing anyway...?

Maybe shoving stuff around.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
'The Little Meteor That Could'

I would love a wee piece of that meteorite.

posted on Feb, 18 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

Funny...I like to peruse eBay on occasion, usually the weird stuff people put on and yesterday I saw a meteorite charm necklace that was going for a few hundred dollars lol.

posted on Feb, 19 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

yeah a necklace would be lovely, ive seen them on ebay before also but i would'nt know where to start, id be afraid of buying a normal polished rock passed off as a meteor fragment lol

new topics

top topics

join