It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm a felon, I've served my time...can I have my rights back please?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Creep Thumper

yes it's quite painful you win, im a horrible criminal and god forbid i ever spit again. thank you for your well thought out posts i concede to your masterful logic and perfect path.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

yes it's quite painful you win, im a horrible criminal and god forbid i ever spit again. thank you for your well thought out posts i concede to your masterful logic and perfect path.

Part of your problem is your rotten attitude.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I too am a felon, said something on facespace that i shouldnt. Im almost done with my 3 years probation, i spent four months in jail. I never had a recored or been arrested.. im eating pardon punchualization and spelling

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I think if you are 21 years old and get into a fight resulting in a felony, do the time, and lose your rights for life, it is an unsual punishment. If that 21 year old is now 51 with no other legal issues, and still has their rights removed, how does that make sense? I mean they paid their debt to society; how has this not violate the fourteenth amendment to the US Constitution?

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

edit on 17-2-2013 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Please give me some pointers on how i should improve my attitude. You must remember i am yet a young grasshopper. Do you think i should glady accept my rights be stripped from me? are you by any chance a beliver in abrahamic religions? because your philosophy comes across as sado/masochist self hatred.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechniXcality

Please give me some pointers on how i should improve my attitude. You must remember i am yet a young grasshopper. Do you think i should glady accept my rights be stripped from me? are you by any chance a beliver in abrahamic religions? because your philosophy comes across as sado/masochist self hatred.

I would not give him the time or day... there lots of felons on here.. including the mods... no naming but there are! just do life... have fun with or without your rights... they saying dont do this or that cannot stop you from what you believe

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   
See, in my book, any "rules" made that limit any rights, without a specific amendment made to the constitution are null and void. If any government tells me I cannot have the means to protect myself, I tell that government to kiss my ass. I can't legally buy a gun? Oh well, that is one of the reasons I learned gunsmithing, I will make one.

If we are to treat convicted felons like second class citizens in a caste system, we might as well just execute them.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wandering Scribe
reply to post by onequestion

Is there any way to prove that you aren't still a violent offender?
I don't know you, outside of your own word. However, by your own word, you were a violent person who committed a violent offense. Whether you say you have changed or not, I have no reason to believe you have, until something in your actions proves such.
If you can prove your rehabilitation, maybe through a psychiatric exam, How exactly do we know you're not one of those people?
~ Wandering Scribe

edit on 17/2/13 by Wandering Scribe because: spelling

Item one: It is logically and legally impossible to prove a negative
Item two: In an approppriately convened administrative hearing, the
officers and prosecutors are rotated so there is no personal
knowledge of the 'offender'. This to protect the system.
Item three: Most importantly psychology is based in learned OPINION:
with a total absence of scientific metric or rigor. The findings
and remarks of even any board certified MD can be summarily
dismissed as conjecture for undisclosed cause. Ain't I fun?
Last and best... the system is where the real crooks live. I've been trying
to get out of Illinois for twenty years after a second MISdemeanor convict.
No injuries, to either the living or any others' inanimate property.
Downside is I'm politically incorrect and have a bad habit of telling the
system the exact truth they demand from me in the oaths. I will very
likely die here, and soon: but wouldn't hesitate to do the same things again.
When attempted self-preservation becomes a felony, the shooting war is on.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I question your education level.. Not to insult you or anything else except I have found many non graduates seem to be in this same predicament!

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Hell NO you can't have your rights back. You lost them fair and square by willfully committing a violent felony.

I was attacked during Katrina by a guy who had been let out of jail due to overcrowding. He was a 3rd time convicted violent felon. I suppose they thought he was going to straighten up too but nope.. you can never tell what a person id going to do next, especially a person with a criminal history that's so bad, you didn't commit a non violent just had some weed or stole a candy bar crime, you committed a felony. I suppose you have no clue how serious that is or you would not be posting this silly thread. I had to get emergency surgery for an eye whos retina had snapped because of this guy they could trust so much they kept letting out of prison. I was almost blinded for life because I'm legally blind in my other eye since birth.

A convicted felon of a violent crime.. you Suck! If your stupid enough not to stop and think before you commit a violent felon crime, you don't deserve any rights. Personally I wouldn't give you any air to breath either. They should make you wear a I'm a Violent Felon offender badge every where you go.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I find the overall situation interesting. I'm not going to quibble over the specifics and address the point:

It really does set a dangerous precedent, does it not? You commit a "felony", lose a lot of rights, and you serve the consequences for the rest of your life. Well, when the government is the one defining what a felony is, how easy is this to manipulate?

It's really scary how so many people in this discussion seem to think that one mistake should cost this person for the rest of his life. These kind of attitudes are how the government, if it ever does go rogue, is going to get away with the abuses of power that it will commit. It will simply declare that certain things are felonies or whatever, no matter how ridiculous, and people will be cheering at locking people away for the rest of their lives, torturing them, or condemning them to a vicious cycle of poverty.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   

if your crime didn't involve a gun you shouldn't lose your 2nd amendment right. I have a 22 year old drug felony that didn't involve a gun, raised two kids as a single dad (aged 4 and fifteen months who are now 23 and going to be 21), have been at the same job now for 16 years, married for 11 and just bought our second house last Oct. Why shouldn't I be allowed to own a gun?

edit on 17-2-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

just wait until all the previously law abiding people who own certain types of weapons face the possibility of becoming felons. talk about a civil war?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

you're obviously biased and not rational about this. better hope you're never on the other side to experience what it's like.
edit on 17-2-2013 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by schizm99

what about the ones with degrees who have been law abiding, productive citizens for the last 22 years?

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   
cant believe some of the responses I am reading in this thread... disgusting how high and mighty some of you consider yourselves

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Haven't read the whole thread so someone may have already mentioned this. I am not 100% sure but I believe once you are off probation you have all your rights back except your gun rights. You can also petition for your gun rights back too. That won't help when being hired by a private company. Just be honest with them and explain you are not the same person and made stupid mistake as a kid. The longer you go without getting in trouble again the more credibility you gain. You can also have the record expunged after a certain amount of time has passed with no further crimes being committed and then do not have to list it on job apps.

Having said that I think that it should be automatic that you get all your rights back after a certain amount of time has passed with no more trouble depending on the crime and how long your record of crime is etc. Especially.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:04 PM
link   

The system is all screwed up and a mess, its a hit and miss buddy. Sometimes it bullseye other times its worse the the supposed crime they are there to prevent. In all you still got to remember that it to is a business and it draws revenue, in all lets just say that I know some people who deserved what they got and am glad the system is there. And I know other who did not yet will be hounded and marginalized for life. I can take a drive in my neighborhood and point to you to at least 4 houses were they sell all kinds of drugs and #, even in rich neighborhoods they still have them only more well you know wealthy. # in fact if you go to any city usually around 3 am, you can spot them pulling out in Mercedes or BMW's were they drop there dope dealers ie the junkies or kids addicted to drugs to sell for them, then they usually come back at night to pick them up and collect the $$, so ya its not like its hard to spot the real criminals.

And yes there are successful career criminals though you got to have a hook up make the $$$ and have a good lawyer and, # there are even not so successful career criminals I even once sort of knew a guy who used to sell drugs, used to set fire to things, was caught for steeling more times then you can count, and I am talking about expensive stuff to petty stuff, he had a bunch of illegal guns, and used and probably still does make speed, and a whole lot of other drugs in his home. I think he even did a bit of prostitution on the side. The guy was in and out of jail all the time, the only thing he had to do was pay his lawyer and that tag team duo made more then a pretty penny on both sides and he was just an average dude. But I also know some idot kids who ended up doing drugs now there in and out spiraling out of jail like every or so months, and then there is stuff that happens and it stays on your record for life. It's all topsy turvy, and the truth is there is no good guy and bad guy, both the law and the real bad guy's, well they are there to pray on a third party. The ignorant, the populous, the salt of the earth, your average joe who goes through life never questioning anything that is thrown in front of them, and the funny thing is there the ones who support the whole thing to.

Its like that one scene in the Simpsons were I think Bart goes to work for the mob, then he somehow ends up snitching on Fat Tony and they have a whole court scene. Well the end of the episode is were Fat Tony and Bart are standing together and Bart goes "gee I guess crime doesn't pay" And fat tony says something along the lines of..."Ya I guess crime doesn't pay" and then he gets into a limo, and then there's a whole string of limos for every other of Fat Tonys constituents.
Moral of the story in that episode? Well you get it.
I think the episode was called Bart the Murderer....

In all like I said its a hit and miss thing, I mean what do you expect, its called the Criminal Justice System for a reason, and everything now a days is a business once you think of it in those terms some things will become much more clear to you. Not to say that the system is not necessary and there are actual criminals out there, and people who deserve to be in jail, but there are also people who deserve to be in jail and are not, and there are people who are in jail who don't deserve it but got trapped and are spiraling in its system, it basically is all kinds of things. One thing however it is not, oh its definable not gospel. But a lot of people take it as gospel.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonyWarp

Shame that illegals will have more rights than the OP.

posted on Feb, 17 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by miss_sky
I believe in second chances and that you should have your rights back. I kinda feel sorry for these felons that have served their time, get out of jail and find out how hard it is to get a fresh start. Its so hard for them to get a job cause these days every employer wants to know everything about your past. Your credit history, your criminal record and their stupid drug tests that just about all jobs require. What ever happened to filling out an application, interviewing and getting the job?

Oh ya and they want every single piece of information of were you been and what you did for the past 10 or 20 years. I mean who the hell remember all that, and in 10 years you could of have had hundreds of all kinds of jobs. I know for years I had so many odd jobs that were not counted such as construction with some dudes I knew, or even haul away for a friend of a friend, or even odd jobs like landscaping for some guy for about some months about 6 years ago, and I remember absolute nothing about all that but the fact that I did it at some point. Or what if you were not even in the country for long periods of time, and yet they expect every single detail of what you did with your time, your credit history, your drug tests like you said, and a hole bunch of other malarkey.

And in a lot of cases there is no way to verify all that or you can just make stuff up as long as you don't have felon on your thing, they are basically looking for state sanctioned red marks on your record to give them the go ahead. And the funny thing is, if you ask them what they had for lunch a few hours ago, or what they did a few days ago they cant remember jack squat, yet they expect you to remember what you were up to 10 years ago and the names, addresses and phone numbers which are probably not even in service now.
Its just how the system is set up, like breeds like I suppose, it creates a veil of security...Well supposedly, ignorance is bliss. It creates a veil of blissful ignorance. Its crazy if you think about it.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join